News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

PD in translation?

Started by Darth Cupcake, June 18, 2007, 05:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Cupcake

Has the PD ever been published in other languages? Or even had bootleg translations made of it on the web?

I am going to seek this out when I get home today, but if anyone already knows, that'd be pretty sweet.

I'm imagining some pretty ridiculous difficulties in trying to translate it, but I am nonetheless rather curious.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

hunter s.durden

If you look around here, this is a topic that comes up every so often.
I don't think anyone on heres done it fully yet.

See Cain for details.
This space for rent.

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Darth Cupcake

Excellent. You guys are the rock. :D

Of course, I might change my mind once I'm not at work so I have the liberty to do more thorough reading/research, but for the moment, danke!

Cain

I believe there are French and German translations of the PD, as well as a Russian and Japanese one in the works.  We should have ones in every major European language however, and perhaps the biggest transnational ones as well (Chinese, Spanish, Arabic, etc)

I personally am working on an Arabic version, because then I can get a fatwa and knighthood [/Salman Rushdie]

Discord

the german version from www.principia-discordia.de is very good, but the german book is crap.
They tried to translate all the word games to litaraly in the book and that made it a failure.
But the online Verion is good, for all of you who want to read it ;)

Sweety

thanks I'll check it out. (danke alter!)
(I'm a tiny girl.)²

Darth Cupcake

BUMP

Okay, I guess it wasn't as useful as I remembered it being.

I think the Wikipedia article had some good stuff, though.

bugmenоt

Quote from: Discord on June 22, 2007, 08:16:13 PM
the german version from www.principia-discordia.de is very good, but the german book is crap.
They tried to translate all the word games to litaraly in the book and that made it a failure.
But the online Verion is good, for all of you who want to read it ;)

You're right, the german book is translated really crappy. But however, for native german speechers it may help to understand the english one if you have both versions next to each other for comparsion.

Requia ☣

One of the dutchies here should translate the PD into dutch.  Because nothing it more useful than a dutch translation.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Cramulus

Did somebody say Dutchie?
                                   \

LMNO

"Pass it on the left hand side!"
   \

Verbal Mike

Actually, this idea has huge humor potential: almost ANYTHING looks funnier in Dutch.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Verbatim on June 30, 2008, 02:16:51 PM
Actually, this idea has huge humor potential: almost ANYTHING looks funnier in Dutch.

it's true.

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Verbal Mike

Hey, we should put the PD through google translator. That will make it funny even for modern readers. :roflcake:
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.