News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "Spoiled brats of the pagan world, I thought. I really don't have a lot of respect for Discordians. They just strike me as spiritually lazy."

Main Menu

rant

Started by Chairman Risus, June 26, 2007, 09:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chairman Risus

We used to have monsters. They lived under your bed or in your closet.  They waited at night for you to cut the light off before they could come after you.  Those monsters left. 
The monsters today stroll around in the daylight. They are no longer tangible.  They are greed, fear, hate.  You can no longer ward them off with a night light, waiting for your mother or father to tell you there's nothing under the bed, that nothing is out to get you.  But they were right about one thing. 
Nothing is after you. No one cares what you do.  No one cares what happens to you.  We live in a world where the man next to you couldn't care less, and would probably be more interested in you if you got hit by a bus.
Our leaders are corrupt.  Corporations run your city from behind the scenes.  Progression is a thing of the past, and we now look to survive in a plastic-wrapped, celebrity-obsessed, fear-mongering culture in disrepair.

But hey, atleast there's cable.  :lulz:

Triple Zero

there is no conspiracy
nobody is in charge
big brother is not watching me
it's a headless blunder
operating under the illusion
of a master plan.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

B_M_W

Quote from: keeper entropic on June 26, 2007, 09:11:37 AM
We used to have monsters. They lived under your bed or in your closet.  They waited at night for you to cut the light off before they could come after you.  Those monsters left. 
The monsters today stroll around in the daylight. They are no longer tangible.  They are greed, fear, hate.  You can no longer ward them off with a night light, waiting for your mother or father to tell you there's nothing under the bed, that nothing is out to get you.  But they were right about one thing. 
Nothing is after you. No one cares what you do.  No one cares what happens to you.  We live in a world where the man next to you couldn't care less, and would probably be more interested in you if you got hit by a bus.
Our leaders are corrupt.  Corporations run your city from behind the scenes.  Progression is a thing of the past, and we now look to survive in a plastic-wrapped, celebrity-obsessed, fear-mongering culture in disrepair.

*BUZZER* WRONG!!

People care way too much what you do and think. In fact, the whole goal of advertising and marketing is to find out what you do and think, and make you think and do the way they want you to. Because they don't get more money if dirty deviants don't buy what they are selling. It helps if they turn everybody else against you.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Chairman Risus

Quote from: Buddhist_Monk_Wannabe on June 26, 2007, 01:02:35 PM

*BUZZER* WRONG!!

People care way too much what you do and think. In fact, the whole goal of advertising and marketing is to find out what you do and think, and make you think and do the way they want you to. Because they don't get more money if dirty deviants don't buy what they are selling. It helps if they turn everybody else against you.

But they don't care about you, personally. They care about people buying and consuming.  Once you've bought what theyre selling, you could go fall off a cliff for all they care.

Payne

Quote from: keeper entropic on June 26, 2007, 05:20:43 PM
Quote from: Buddhist_Monk_Wannabe on June 26, 2007, 01:02:35 PM

*BUZZER* WRONG!!

But they don't care about you, personally. They care about people buying and consuming.  Once you've bought what theyre selling, you could go fall off a cliff for all they care.

No, they want to keep on selling to you.

Advertisement and marketing isn't very efficent if you only buy the product once.

Chairman Risus

there are always more people

Payne

Indeed, but surely it's better to get as much money out of as many people as possible?

They would rather keep YOU alive, and also get the many from your potential 'replacement'.

No they don't care about you personally, but they DO care about your money, and they DO care about taking the money from as many people as possible.

A corporate game of having your cake and eating it too.

LMNO

They don't care about your long-term happiness.

They care about your short term actions today.
and your your short term actions tomorow.
your short term actions the next day.

Torodung

Quote from: keeper entropic on June 26, 2007, 05:30:42 PM
there are always more people

Exactly. They don't care about the person. They care about "the people." Marketing is a bit like herding cattle, right down to the fact that a stampede is a bad thing.

They aren't interested in me. They're interested in my "average" life and my "2.5 kids" and how to suck their brains out and turn them into more cattle.

This is why there is such a drive in society to celebrate mediocrity. We reinforce mediocrity so that the mediocre have to listen to their superiors, the stars perhaps, to receive their pre-packaged K-ration of enjoyment.

In other words: "One size fits all" means that you've either redefined the word "fit" to mean "fuck," or it fits all through some trickle down free market ideology where uncommon profit is for the common good.
The only choice you're given is how best to burn
BURN BRIGHTLY

The Good Reverend Roger

Oh, we still have monsters.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

They seem to be running the country at the moment.

BumWurst

Celebrity obsession, and its attendant media coverage, are wonderful innovations. Society has finally given the financially disadvantaged the means to see money as nothing more than a form of compensation for stupidity and incredibly poor taste... Whilst I shiver in my bedsit, I'm able to reflect that whilst Paris Hilton reclines upon silk cusions, tended by armies of eunuchs (or whatever is the fashion in this particular century) she does so wearing ugly shoes. Or perhaps she doesn't. Either way, I'm better than her, in some indefinable sense.
Besides, all the monsters aren't gone. When the moon is full, Paris becomes a leathery grotesque which can be observed hiding in the branches of trees near convenience stores, waiting to pounce on unwary shoppers and steal their booze. It's true.
"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it."

LMNO

AFK

What a coincidence, she was interviewed by the leathery grotesque that is Larry King last night.  I've never seen a better softball pitcher in my life. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cramulus

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on June 28, 2007, 05:22:38 PM
What a coincidence, she was interviewed by the leathery grotesque that is Larry King last night.  I've never seen a better softball pitcher in my life. 

How was the interview? all softballs then?

My prophecy is that within a year's time, Paris will have reinvented herself as a leather-jacket wearing bad-ass. Did the interview support this? *fingers crossed*