News:

Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

Hate for a better life

Started by Richter, June 26, 2007, 05:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter

Ever have a job you love?  Well, hope it works out for you. 
Any job, whether it be listening to the world's best music, or banging the prettiest supermodels will always be what the name says.  A Job.
This job will, without fail, bore you.  No matter how much of a sleazy penchant you have for the subject matter, it will be dull, dreary, and have just enough draw to keep you coming back (paycheck, occasional moment's of interest, WTF ever else). 

Let's try another tack: get a job you HATE.

We all have to work and do something unless we're wealthy already, or taking off for the woods to live (read: die soon) "with nature".  So why burn yourself out on subject matter you actually like just for the sake of the money?
I'd recommend a good cubicle farm for this little venture, (make sure it's harm free, and make sure the HR group can be counted on to strike of the gonads of those who would trample on yours.)  Do your thing.  Make the money.  Go home.

Home will suddenly be the greatest thing in your life.  Your family, friends and whatever else you have there will SHINE in the glorious light of That-Which-Is-Not-Work.  Savor and appreciate this, friend.  Leave the bitterness of work away from what you have outside.  Get your lulz wherever you can, but make your slack count by comparison with the rest of life! 
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Darth Cupcake

I raise my beer to you, sir!

I'd like to add my share, though, being that you make sure that you make the rest of your life worthy of the shine in comparison.

You can come home from the job you hate every day and sit on a couch watching TV and getting stoned. Go to sleep. Go to work the next day and think "What'd I DO with myself? ...Eh, well, at least it was better than work."

No. Every fucking second that you are not being force-fed misery, cram those seconds full of goodness, otherwise you only deserve that misery. Make your time of freedom worth it, or else you are just another cog. Don't just look at That-Which-Is-Not-Work as better than work, but see it as an opportunity to really make up for all this wasted time of misery. Make the dichotomy between the two as dramatic as possible, and it will be Good.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Thurnez Isa

you all got it wrong

most jobs are just an oppertunity to have some fun with the public
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Suu

Initially, when he brought this idea to me, I told him that if you get a job you hate, chances are it'll evolve to you liking it, which will defeat the purpose. Much like getting the job you like that turns into a job you hate...
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Richter

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on June 26, 2007, 05:37:04 PM
Don't just look at That-Which-Is-Not-Work as better than work, but see it as an opportunity to really make up for all this wasted time of misery. Make the dichotomy between the two as dramatic as possible, and it will be Good.
Quote from: Thurnez Isa on June 26, 2007, 05:39:51 PM
you all got it wrong

most jobs are just an oppertunity to have some fun with the public

"Get your lulz where you can", was kind of meant to cover this, and being shown the spareness of my point is appreciated.  Still, I hope those who are inclined to just sit around stoned and drunk will do so.  It will keep them out of my way when I'm trying to do stuff.
Quote from: Kaou Suu on June 26, 2007, 05:43:54 PM
Initially, when he brought this idea to me, I told him that if you get a job you hate, chances are it'll evolve to you liking it, which will defeat the purpose. Much like getting the job you like that turns into a job you hate...
Will let you know when / if this happens.  (Rather not get on a personal experience kick.)
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

The Littlest Ubermensch

I disagree with the basic premise of this. If you get a job you love, chances are is that it won't become "just a job" to you. And, if you're not a dumbass, you will still be able to enjoy being home. There's no need to force unpleasantness on yourself in an effort to make the pleasant parts of life seem better. 
[witticism/philosophical insight/nifty quote to prove my intelligence to the forum]

LISTEN TO MY SHOW THURSDAY 5-7 EST

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Richter on June 26, 2007, 05:53:05 PM
Still, I hope those who are inclined to just sit around stoned and drunk will do so.  It will keep them out of my way when I'm trying to do stuff.

Fair enough. Perhaps it is just my age/class demographic that is making it hard to encounter people who don't prefer to do that. :sad:

Suu

FACT: Richter never really has had a job he liked. The last one was a doozy. This one is getting worse by the day. Especially Mondays.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Kaou Suu on June 26, 2007, 06:27:15 PM
FACT: Richter never really has had a job he liked. The last one was a doozy. This one is getting worse by the day. Especially Mondays.

I hear you, Richter. PREPARE FOR AWESOME THAT-WHICH-IS-NOT-WORK WHEN WE ARRIVE IN JULY BWAHAHAHA INVASION FORCE OF DOOM

Sad truth: The job I enjoyed most was my high school/college job, working at a coffee house.

-DC
Sassed the customers :D

Richter

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on June 26, 2007, 06:30:58 PM
I hear you, Richter. PREPARE FOR AWESOME THAT-WHICH-IS-NOT-WORK WHEN WE ARRIVE IN JULY BWAHAHAHA INVASION FORCE OF DOOM

Sad truth: The job I enjoyed most was my high school/college job, working at a coffee house.

-DC
Sassed the customers :D

I had excellent college jobs also.  Taught sailing and was a camp counselor.  Those were jobs I liked, but they did wear on me after a bit.  I'm trying to stay of the "This happened to me" horse, and focus on ideas.
(-R, may just be an ADD slacker)

The invasion will be eagerly awaited...

Doktor Loki

The Littlest Ubermensch has it right, IMO.

And, nothing wrong with getting stoned and drunk.  It's the sitting around part I don't care for.
Being twisted doesn't preclude doing stuff, unless you're lazy to begin with.
Not a Doctor?  Why, of course I'm a Doctor!  Why else would I have this scalpel?      ~Doctor Mad

"He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man."
- William Shakespeare

"If you hear crazy voices in your head which tell you to do something, even something evil, YOU'D BETTER FUCKING DO IT BECAUSE IT MIGHT BE GOD." - Soren Keirkegaard

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Doktor_Fistula on June 26, 2007, 07:18:23 PM
The Littlest Ubermensch has it right, IMO.

And, nothing wrong with getting stoned and drunk.  It's the sitting around part I don't care for.
Being twisted doesn't preclude doing stuff, unless you're lazy to begin with.

Okay, that's fair. I will give you that.

In my personal experience, getting stoned tends to make people vegetate, but that might just be the people I'm around. Too many people in my age bracket are still too young to know their limits on drinking, so instead of being fun drunks, they are obnoxious drunks. Not all, but enough to make it a pain sometimes.

You are very correct, though. I just tend to generalize sometimes. :oops:

Richter, it's a noble goal to avoid the "in my experience" trap, but it seems awfully hard to do. If you manage to pull it off, I will salute you. And then you'll have the experience of being saluted in your arsenal of secrets!

Doktor Loki

I totally understand where you're coming from.
I'm a big stoner, and every time I smoke pot with people, I'm like "hey, lets go do this, it'll be fun!" and they're (most of them, at least) like "no, lets stay here."
It is my opinion that pot doesn't make people lazy, it gives them an excuse to be lazy.
Not a Doctor?  Why, of course I'm a Doctor!  Why else would I have this scalpel?      ~Doctor Mad

"He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man."
- William Shakespeare

"If you hear crazy voices in your head which tell you to do something, even something evil, YOU'D BETTER FUCKING DO IT BECAUSE IT MIGHT BE GOD." - Soren Keirkegaard

Darth Cupcake

I think it's a mix. Because I know when I smoke, I react pretty badly--I get seriously knocked on my ass, have no energy, no ability to concentrate, nothing.

Needless to say, I basically never smoke anymore. It's just a stupid decision for me.

But there are some people who use it as an excuse, or who just keep smoking until they've maxed out their body so much that it does end up having that effect. And that's silly. If you keep your functionality about you, then it's all good as far as I'm concerned!

Doktor Loki

Maybe, but I've been smoking daily since I was 14 and haven't gotten like that.
I dunno, I know some folks who don't smoke much, but are fine when they're high, and some who smoke like I do but get retarded when they blaze.  It really just depends.

To each his own, though, that's my motto (sometimes.)

- William Shakespeare