News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

Age Old Question Answered

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, July 03, 2007, 08:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Cupcake

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

AFK

Works for me.  Of course, if you want male members you'll have to count me out.  RWHN does not wear swimsuits. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Forteetu

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on July 05, 2007, 03:02:09 PM
well when we're done deconstructing
and all this is all said and done (*cough*)
I still want a good laugh
and a Goddess to worship
and I don't care if it don't make sense

agreed ... a mythology, however comical is essential
WOMP'd

Episkopos of the Discordian Society

http://42.dia.net.au - Forteetu

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on July 05, 2007, 05:00:28 PM
Works for me.  Of course, if you want male members you'll have to count me out.  RWHN does not wear swimsuits. 

RWHN only skinny dips? :eek:

You're supposed to be a positive role model for your daughter!

AFK

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on July 05, 2007, 05:37:05 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on July 05, 2007, 05:00:28 PM

RWHN only skinny dips? :eek:

You're supposed to be a positive role model for your daughter!

:lol:

Naw, I'm just not keen on swimming or the beach scene. 

But instead of pd.com members, perhaps we could find some sexy snapshots of Thornley, Hill, etc. to put on the calendar.   :D

Darth Cupcake

If we can't find them, they can be WOMPed. :evil:

AFK

Hmm, I wonder if their faces are kopyleft too.

Darth Cupcake

Does anyone REALLY know what they look like?

Does anyone REALLY care?

We're a creative lot. Copy and paste is a creative tool. I'm sure we can come up with something... :mrgreen:

Payne

Even if it means captions under their bonces, telling everyone else what their names are.

Face forward soldiers! Pixels at the ready!

AFK

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on July 05, 2007, 08:16:41 PM
Does anyone REALLY know what they look like?

Does anyone REALLY care?

We're a creative lot. Copy and paste is a creative tool. I'm sure we can come up with something... :mrgreen:

Here's an old one of Thornley showing what a Mad Hatter he was:

Cramulus

In The Prankster and the Conspiracy, there's a picture of Thornley, buck naked, apparently grinding his pelvis into the back of a chair. The caption reads "Kerry had love for all things -- even chairs."

Forteetu

Quote from: hunter s.durden on July 03, 2007, 08:22:00 PM
Stay tuned.
In the next day or two I will have to write:
Discordianism: Totally a real religion (not some joke)

Discordianism is in fact a religion. As defined by www.dictionary.com, a religion is a ,Äúset of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.,Äù The Principia Discordia, the so called ,ÄúBible,Äù of Discordianism, expresses the mythology, the framework of reality and the daily life guidance for both moral guidance and ritual observance to such an extent that it not only meets the criteria of religion; it surpasses these simple measures and stands alone as the foremost, fundamentally accurate religion in existence.

First, as to the nature of the universe and it,Äôs origins Discordianism revitalizes Eris as the patron deity of the movement thus tying in the supernatural ineffability of existence. A mythology is developed which is used as a familial analogy to the interaction of chaos and order and bringing ,Äúbirth,Äù or ,Äúcreation,Äù into a framework telling the tales of immortals in the reality framework of their mortal creations. The cause of the universe is also explained through Discordian concepts of Metaphysics giving both rise to the deity of the religion and the fundamental nature of the universe. In this sense, Discordiansism takes the same steps to create the devotee,Äôs reality tunnel as do the other ,Äúmajor religions,Äù.  In Judeo-Christian beliefs, the universe is created thru an act of God,Äôs Love. In Buddhism, the physical universe is created as the necessary means to enable the illusion of separation. Christianity teaches peace and service as a means to reach God in his universe of love. Buddhism teaches calm and unity in the search to surpass the illusion of separation and join with god. Discordianism expresses the creation of the universe as an ,ÄúAct of Happenstance,Äù which results in the dynamic, interactive dance of existence and non-existence as well as chaos and order. More important than simply defining the reality tunnel in which the devotee is to perceive the universe, it lays the foundation for what could possibly be the single most underlying teaching of Discordianism. As written in the Gospel according to Fred, ,ÄúAnd, behold, thusly was the Law formulated:  Imposition of Order = escalation of Disorder!" What better way is there to stand in the face of order, but to laugh in its face? In this way Discordianism not only teaches the origins and nature of the universe, but teaches that it is not service, it is not unity, but it is laughter which is the proper path to the all mighty deity.

An answer to the purpose of life is provided very clearly and openly in the story of Zarthud,Äôs Enlightenment. There simply is no grand purpose in life. Although this may be outside of the ,Äúnorm,Äù of standard religions, it is not unheard of and it is well supported as a construct of the Discoridan reality tunnel in view of the creation mythology.

When it comes to issues of life guidance, moral codes, devotional and ritual observances, the Principia Discordia has many examples. Life guidance is offered in sections such as the Parable of the Bitter Tea, the Sermon on Ethics and Love, several quotes from the Book of Advise as well as the obvious Pentabarf. Observances such as the partaking of a hotdog on a Friday, the seasonal holidays of the 5 Apostles and even the Turkey Curse give direct instruction to the devotee on what actions should be taken to show proper adherence to the religious precepts. The fact that the Principia Discordia contradicts itself by outlining these observances and then demanding that nothing is mandatory, should not be viewed in a negative light. Again in this measure, Discordianism stands shoulder to shoulder with its sibling religions. I defy any reader to produce a theological core document that is not self contradictory. Rather than being an example of why Discordianism is not a really, real religion, this contradictory nature of the Principia Discordia should be one more large tick mark in the YES column.

I say Discordianism is a really, real religion and through its doctrine of absurdity and laughter it stands head and shoulders above the rest in developing a universal outlook and set of moral guides which result in a more enjoyable life experience for the devotee.

Meh, this is long enough already ,Ķ.

That is all
WOMP'd

hunter s.durden

Stay tuned.

.... or I'll use the mind control lazerz to make someone else do it.
This space for rent.

Forteetu

Quote from: hunter s.durden on July 06, 2007, 02:48:37 PM
Stay tuned.

.... or I'll use the mind control lazerz to make someone else do it.

GET TO WORK n00b!
                                         //
WOMP'd