News:

Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

from a BIP reader

Started by Forteetu, July 15, 2007, 02:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Quote from: LMNO on July 16, 2007, 03:19:07 PM
42, I actually like the idea of "fictionalizing" aspects of the BIP as part of a "notes left behind for the next Prisoner".

I agree here too. I think if we continue the shtick (that Discordia = Joke = Religion), we need a parable which illustrates these principles.

I think we need a story about a Jesus-like figure that sees the BIP and escapes from it. You know, so followers of this ideology can say "What Would Edmund Lava do?" (or whatever his name is). Only this guy probably isn't a miraculous miracle birth with rainbows coming out of his chakras, he's probably an average gray faced shmuck like you and me. But by the end of the story he's cool.

((I just got the following funny mental picture - a training montage about illumination))

I've been thinking about writing this myself but no time at the moment.

LMNO

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on July 16, 2007, 03:52:59 PM
Cramulus' Suggestions for forward progress

1. identify the specific sections of the BIP which are considered too dark or too preachy (the two most common complaints about it).
2. modify them on the wiki.
3. take all this stuff and put it in a new PDF-book. In this book the BIP metaphor is mixed in with humorous stuff such as meme bombs, Discordians in History, the Parable of the Gong, a lot of Vex's stuff, and other more "high content / high humor" passages. Add art.

5. profit

This post is here to agree with Cram.

Mangrove

Cram - Agreed on forward progress solution.
           Love the name 'Edmund Lava'.

LMNO - I think that your original BIP piece should be paired with your GSP piece. After the reader goes through the BIP, you could add a filler paragraph that says:

"And if you find all that dark, scary & depressing, then read this instead." - then lead into the GSP piece. That way, people will get to see both sides of the coin, realize they're the same, that the coin is a metaphor and that the bitching about how 'dark the BIP was' was, in fact, horse shit.

Well, that's what my cereal was telling me this morning.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

LMNO

I'm thinking I need to wrap up "LMNO-PI" with a quick gunshot to the head, and get to work on "Lost in the City: Being a Moral Tale of a Man Trapped in Prison".

Mangrove

LMNO-PI - The Final Installment.

When I woke up...it was all a dream.

The End.

- Thanks in advance. Send check to usual address.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Forteetu

Hey all, interesting convo since my post. I've been a bit busy the last few days and not around for much foruming.

I used to write a fair bit, but long ago. Most of what I write now is for ritual purpose or guided meditations/trance work. Personally, I think the BIP project is missing some metaphysical aspects, but then you've got a lot of barstools around here. I'd be happy to contribute a bit here and there if you think anything is worth taking. Nothing strikes me just now, but maybe I as continue to poke around here I'll get a wild inspiration.

I don't really see any consistent framework across some of these metaphors. This kind of prison thing and this modern warfare/IED/shrapnel thing ... kind of hard to find a cohesive frame to fit

Cram, I like you're ideas of "go forward" and would be willing to help identify what I thought were "preachy" bits. What's the deal with the wiki? i've never really used one except for reading

LMNO, ... is that PI in reference to Private Investigator?? done that work before ... worst shitty job I have ever had!
WOMP'd

Episkopos of the Discordian Society

http://42.dia.net.au - Forteetu

Payne

Quote from: Forteetu on July 17, 2007, 04:54:28 AM
Hey all, interesting convo since my post. I've been a bit busy the last few days and not around for much foruming.

I used to write a fair bit, but long ago. Most of what I write now is for ritual purpose or guided meditations/trance work. Personally, I think the BIP project is missing some metaphysical aspects, but then you've got a lot of barstools around here. I'd be happy to contribute a bit here and there if you think anything is worth taking. Nothing strikes me just now, but maybe I as continue to poke around here I'll get a wild inspiration.

I don't really see any consistent framework across some of these metaphors. This kind of prison thing and this modern warfare/IED/shrapnel thing ... kind of hard to find a cohesive frame to fit

Cram, I like you're ideas of "go forward" and would be willing to help identify what I thought were "preachy" bits. What's the deal with the wiki? i've never really used one except for reading

LMNO, ... is that PI in reference to Private Investigator?? done that work before ... worst shitty job I have ever had!

Go and read it http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=4569.0

It is required.

Also very long.

LMNO

There are also places that have the text without the commentary or jpeg battles.

For example, http://dolphin.esosoft.net/erisbarandgrill.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1119 .