Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

a history of things that may or may not have happened

Started by LHX, July 05, 2007, 10:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B_M_W

Quote from: SillyCybin on July 07, 2007, 09:15:22 AM
Science strikes me as a reality grid.

No different from any other reality grid, in that it only exists in the minds of those who believe in it.

But, as a reality grid, I think it's one of the strongest and most useful.

Science will state that if you do A then B will happen (every fucking time as far as we have observed)

Deity based reality grids will invariably put it down to some divine will or plan or maybe angels

The spawn of deity based grids is, on the upside, social cohesion and a perceived meaning to an existence which can appear frustratingly meaningless at times.

On the downside, deity based grids have the potential to exploit the naturally gullible condition of believers for the purpose of all manner of Jihads and Inquisitions.

The spawn of the scientific grid is, on the upside, technology and the ability to push the limits of what a human being or group of human beings is capable of accomplishing and experiencing.

On the downside, technology can make a real fucking mess at times and put us all in danger of extinction.

I'm a gambler to a degree - I enjoy my existence more if there is a risk of fucking things up completely and dying and stuff. Don't ask me why, I can't explain it but, for this reason and several others, I prefer science.

But it's still nothing more than a reality grid.

It aint anymore real than Jehova.

Lets put it this way. You can spout all kinds of things about a flat earth being a reality grid, or a terracentric solarsystem being a reality grid, or even a disc shaped world  carried on the back of four elephants and supported by a giant sea turtle a reality grid.

But the earth revolves around the sun regardless.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Doktor Loki

Not a Doctor?  Why, of course I'm a Doctor!  Why else would I have this scalpel?      ~Doctor Mad

"He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man."
- William Shakespeare

"If you hear crazy voices in your head which tell you to do something, even something evil, YOU'D BETTER FUCKING DO IT BECAUSE IT MIGHT BE GOD." - Soren Keirkegaard

Payne

D/N/T science.

Science: created Rogers MIND RAYS!

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: LHX on July 05, 2007, 10:04:15 PM
man

these evolution folk are getting almost as aggravating as fundamental religious folk

the correct answer is: maybe

and depending on the context - it generally doesnt matter

its still (quite) possible that the 'real' history hasnt even been fathomed yet
and is more strange that what a person would readily accept

I agree that dogmatic historians and scientists can look as foolish as creationists and turbaniacs.  But I'm curious as to where you've been noticing this...

Which evolutionists are you referring to?

When doesn't it matter?
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Doktor Loki

Quote from: Payne on July 09, 2007, 02:33:26 AM
D/N/T science.

Science: created Rogers MIND RAYS!

Exactly.

And that is why it must be destroyed.

I would have a world of God-fearing peasants, with no technology.  And disease running rampant.

And Free-roaming cattle in the desert, and Nigeria.  :lulz:
Not a Doctor?  Why, of course I'm a Doctor!  Why else would I have this scalpel?      ~Doctor Mad

"He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man."
- William Shakespeare

"If you hear crazy voices in your head which tell you to do something, even something evil, YOU'D BETTER FUCKING DO IT BECAUSE IT MIGHT BE GOD." - Soren Keirkegaard

tyrannosaurus vex

don't forget, without science we could all eat buffalo since billions of them could fit in the average petting zoo.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.