News:

One of our core values:  "THEY REFILLED MY RITALIN AND BY THE WAY I WANNA EAT YOUR BEAR HEAD."

Main Menu

e-prime sucks and so do you.

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, July 13, 2007, 04:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

I thought I sent it to you already.

PM me email addy.

Rev. T. Lockhart Killjoy

Quote from: vexati0n on July 13, 2007, 04:55:00 PM
wtf is it with e-prime?

E-prime can help develop a habit of recognizing that perspective determines meaning - it facilitates understanding in communication.  If you don't want to have clearer communications, or think you can accomplish that habit without using e-prime, or just thrive on the chaos of people who insist on living in neatly packaged worlds of certainly blowing each other's kids up and would rather they not learn to listen to one another, then don't use it.
Welcome to First Church Of The Redemptive Sorrow Of Joyless Sex.

If there's happiness in your life, then there's sin in your heart.

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: LMNO on July 23, 2007, 07:40:28 PM
I thought I sent it to you already.

PM me email addy.

you may have, but it might be on my GF's crashed laptop, or it might have been one of the random odd unrecoverable files on my hard drive.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

Rev. T. Lockhart Killjoy

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Rev. T. Lockhart Killjoy on July 23, 2007, 07:46:24 PM
Quote from: vexati0n on July 13, 2007, 04:55:00 PM
wtf is it with e-prime?

E-prime can help develop a habit of recognizing that perspective determines meaning - it facilitates understanding in communication.  If you don't want to have clearer communications, or think you can accomplish that habit without using e-prime, or just thrive on the chaos of people who insist on living in neatly packaged worlds of certainly blowing each other's kids up and would rather they not learn to listen to one another, then don't use it.

There are a number of valid critiques of E-Prime. It's certainly not the holy grail of communication theory.

One of the major problems with E-Prime is how it limits the range of expression available to an individual.  Most communicative theories work to make MORE options available. To suggest that E-Prime has some ultimate, mystical power on top of it already being a restrictive theory misses the point in a big way.

Watzlawick, Beavin, and Jackson's axioms of communication are widely regarded as basic foundational elements in communication theory and naturally have downsides to them as well.  But one of the main reasons you'll see Watzlawick in communication textbooks and not E-Prime is because the axioms ask you to broaden your perspective rather than narrow it.  This paper does an excellent job of putting it into a context not so different from these forums.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Rev. T. Lockhart Killjoy

Quote from: Netaungrot on July 23, 2007, 10:42:04 PM
There are a number of valid critiques of E-Prime. It's certainly not the holy grail of communication theory.

Agreed.

LHX

neat hell

Jasper

Triple Zero

Quote from: LHX on July 24, 2007, 04:38:08 AM

2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, 47, 53, 59, 61, 67, 71, 73, 79, 83, 89, 97, 101, 103, 107, 109, 113
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Payne

OFUK! It's Optimus Prime Minister!!!!!1!

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mangrove

ok..

e-prime = being excessively picky about what you say to avoid presenting your 'perception' as 'fact'.

o-prime = being an excessively big robot.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.