News:

PD.com: Ten minutes of your life that you can never get back.

Main Menu

e-prime sucks and so do you.

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, July 13, 2007, 04:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

wtf is it with e-prime?

is it really supposed to enhance the accuracy and precision of your speech/writing? no, that is a lie. it is not supposed to enhance anything. it's just politically-correct "make sure you don't offend anybody" bullshit.

fuck that. if your opinion sucks, i'll say so. if you don't like it, then tell me my opinion sucks.

you'll be wrong but you'll feel better.

why should i waste half of my effort in saying something just to make sure you understand that i'm only expressing an opinion?  if you can't tell it's only an opinion, then you either fail at communication or need to do more homework.

people these days make a career out of being offended by anything. e-prime just adds another layer of bullshit to every argument. now you can avoid the subject completely by saying "yeah but you didn't say IMHO."  it's a whole world of the kind of shit lawyers and theologians (the two biggest reasons for societal decay) love to debate, i.e. useless crap about what you REALLY mean when what you say is plain as day.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cramulus

Quote from: vexati0n on July 13, 2007, 04:55:00 PM
I think people these days make a career out of being offended by anything. In my opinion, e-prime just adds another layer of bullshit to every argument.

fixed
:lulz:

Darth Cupcake

Why do you hate warm fuzzy hugsies?

DON'T YOU WANT EVERYONE TO FEEL HAPPY AND LOVED AND CODDLED?!
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Triple Zero

actually e-prime is useful for something.

it's not political correctness but more

- that the way you talk changes the way you think, which means you get confronted with the fact that opinions are just opinions
- you don't get into eachothers hairs as quickly. there is something immensely annoying about it when someone simply states "X is Y" and it's something you really don't agree with.

i just use it when i feel i'm getting into territory that may be hairy and passionate.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

tyrannosaurus vex

funny.

when i'm in "hairy and passionate" territory, i'm usually not thinking about my mode of speech.

Triple Zero

she's the one that speechless i'm the one that's tongue-tied
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

hunter s.durden

I don't know what E-prime is.

Fuck you all.
This space for rent.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I'm not aware of anyone stating that e' should be used in a manner not to offend others. In fact, most discussions around e', either by RAW or by students of Korby tend reference e' as a tool for the writer, not necessarily the reader.

In RAW's discussions, he doesn't state that the style will make writing more clear to the reader, but rather that he used e' to deconstruct his own assumptions. The idea is that if you write in e', it seems more likely that you will recognize statements which you might consider as truth axioms, to be opinions or perceptions. Note that even RAW didn't write his published works in e' (except the occasional argument constructed specifically to further the point of the value of e').

So, if I am of a conservative mindset and say "Abortion is Murder!!!" then it seems more likely (based on General Semantics) that my mind is hard coding Abortion=Murder. However, if I am forced to consider it in e'. then "Based on my system of metaphysics, abortion appears, to me, as murder".

If Korby's views on the importance of semantics are correct, the latter would begin a shift in the mind of the individual, the 'fact' would become less dogmatic and begin to come closer to 'opinion'.

In some cases, it can be valuable to use e'. Many of the classes at Maybelogic.net prefer the use of e', because when discussing magic, the 8circuit grid, personal experiences etc. it can be tempting to say IS, but it may be more beneficial (to the individual) to recall that their perception isn't necessarily "TROOF!"

It can be useful for the reader, particularly in scholarly works, but e' has limited value in random message boards etc (unless you're intentionally trying to piss off dogmatic people... works great for that).
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

AFK

Quote from: hunter s.durden on July 13, 2007, 05:18:12 PM
I don't believe I know what E-prime is.

Fuck you all, in my opinion.

e-primed
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Darth Cupcake

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Triple Zero

Quote from: someone who appears to be RWHN
Quote from: seems to be Hunter
I don't believe I know what E-prime is.

Fuck you all, in my opinion.

appears to have been e-primed

seems to be fixed

Cramulus

one e-prime snag I seem to have is getting confused about what level of uncertainty to express

Cheesecake is delicious
I like Cheesecake
I seem to like Cheesecake
I seem to like what appears to be cheesecake
Usually, I seem to like what appears to me to be cheesecake

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on July 13, 2007, 06:15:42 PM
one e-prime snag I seem to have is getting confused about what level of uncertainty to express

Cheesecake is delicious
I like Cheesecake
I seem to like Cheesecake
I seem to like what appears to be cheesecake
Usually, I seem to like what appears to me to be cheesecake

How about "I usually enjoy eating cheesecake"?
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

AFK

I call bullshit!  It was a sponge, not cheesecake, apparently.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

tyrannosaurus vex

Cheesecakes and sponges might be described as sharing quite a lot in common, the least of which may or may not be the taste.