News:

PD.com: The combined word for "horror" and "mirth"

Main Menu

NEIL YOUNG MUSIC LEGEND

Started by Eater of Clowns, December 19, 2012, 10:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eater of Clowns

So I'm reading through Neil Young's autobiography Waging Heavy Peace.  It has a few passages that are poignant and well conveyed.  A fair bit of it is plugging PureTone, his start up for high quality digital sound.

The rest of it, well.

Quote from: NEIL YOUNG MUSIC LEGENDWho knows what I put in that fridge?  It was certainly not much.  I think I had a hot plate, too.  I used it for pork and beans...probably.

Quote from: NEIL FUCKING YOUNGHis dad was enjoying the Corn Flakes.  There was no milk.  That was something new to me, Coke in the morning, and I tried it for a while.

Well it reads like a series of tweets strung out into paragraphs for 500 pages.  The man apparently had no filter while writing, composing EVERY THOUGHT and tangent that he underwent during the process.  This thread, NEIL YOUNG MUSIC LEGEND, is for the hilarious, ridiculous shit he typed and, for some bizarre reason, wasn't edited out before publication.  The remaining 350 pages of it, anyway.  Enjoy.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: AWARD WINNING ARTIST NEIL YOUNGMy cats from Laurel Canyon were there.  They were two orange kitties, and one of them was named Duck Egg and the other Orange Julius, for the beverage.  There were a lot of Orange Julius stands in LA at the time.  Orange Julius was a mixture of OJ and an egg, whipped to a frothy liquid with some ice.  It was pretty nourishing and quite good.  I don't know what happened to that franchise.

It's like Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey.

edited for quotefail

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Being a good musician DOES NOT mean you are a good writer.
In fact, it may mean you're really stoned all the time.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

That's awesome.  I was tempted to get the book, but now I guess I have to have it.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: hølist on December 20, 2012, 05:39:04 AM

Funny thing is, he quit weed and booze together before he wrote the book.  A recurring thought of his is that he's worried he won't be able to write music without weed.

It's occurred to me while reading it, though, that the way he writes is very reminiscent of lyrics.

His father was a writer and he says he taught him how to write.  Like I said there are a few passages in there that shows he can write well, beautifully even, but I don't think he does it a whole lot.

The whole thing is actually really charming.  He's such an old hippie who just talks about how much he loves everyone and how wonderful everything is.  A true Canadian.  The world's most polite rock star.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on December 20, 2012, 03:32:06 PM

Funny thing is, he quit weed and booze together before he wrote the book.  A recurring thought of his is that he's worried he won't be able to write music without weed.

It's occurred to me while reading it, though, that the way he writes is very reminiscent of lyrics.

His father was a writer and he says he taught him how to write.  Like I said there are a few passages in there that shows he can write well, beautifully even, but I don't think he does it a whole lot.

The whole thing is actually really charming.  He's such an old hippie who just talks about how much he loves everyone and how wonderful everything is.  A true Canadian.  The world's most polite rock star.

I liked him better when he was the bitter, angry prophet that wrote Keep On Rocking in the Free World.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Yeah.  This "I'm actually a sweet guy" thing keeps running headlong into the "I've been a bitter old fuck since I was in Buffalo Springfield" vibe he's been milking for the past 50 years.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 20, 2012, 01:56:37 PM
That's awesome.  I was tempted to get the book, but now I guess I have to have it.

After 50 or so pages I was tempted to stop reading it, but I'm sticking with it.  Maybe it's the Narm Charm but it's growing on me.

He talks about model trains a lot and the whole thing is out of order.  At first I thought he was just out there, then I thought maybe he was setting up a really elaborate metaphor, and finally I just decided he just doesn't really know what he's doing.

If you pick it up, please add your own favorite quotes to the thread.  I'm sure I won't get all of them and there are plenty.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 20, 2012, 03:34:44 PM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on December 20, 2012, 03:32:06 PM

I liked him better when he was the bitter, angry prophet that wrote Keep On Rocking in the Free World.

That's really what I thought I'd be getting out of the book.  Such has yet to happen.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

Eater of Clowns

Yeah I couldn't do it after 350 pages or so.  I can't renew it because someone else has a hold on it so I'm returning it to the library today.  The thread is in the capable hands of LMNO, who said he owns a copy.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 20, 2012, 03:36:06 PM
Yeah.  This "I'm actually a sweet guy" thing keeps running headlong into the "I've been a bitter old fuck since I was in Buffalo Springfield" vibe he's been milking for the past 50 years.

His best stuff actually seems to have a pretty high body count:

TIN SOLDIERS AND NIXON COMING :nuke:

DOWN BY THE RIIIIIVERRRRRRR...  :nuke:

WHEN YOU'RE OUTTA THE BLUE AND INTO THE BLACK :nuke:

LOOKOUT MAMA THERE'S A WHITE BOAT COMIN UP THE RIVER :nuke:

etc.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division