News:

Just 'cause this is a Discordian board doesn't mean we eat up dada bullshit

Main Menu

The Good Book

Started by Kaienne, July 15, 2007, 09:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

i'm gonna read ratatosk's long post tomorrow when i'm a bit more sober and may possible make a sensible reply to it as well.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

hunter s.durden

No!

Be rash and impulsive.

Start offensively and work from there.
This space for rent.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on July 20, 2007, 07:35:28 PM
I just want my damn question answered.

WHY title it 42?

I have no problem with people using memes of Discordianism now and again, because we all fall prey sometimes. However, if this is supposed to be some incredibly significant and ground-breaking book that has All The Answers (which first off, claiming to have them is pretty pretentious) and yet the best possible title is something that has already be done... That's a pretty shitty start. Think for yourself. Isn't that one of the important parts of Discordianism? Don't just keep spitting out whatever pop culture feeds you?

So if Kaienne will ever answer WHY the book must be named 42, then I will make my decision.

However, no argument has been made that it is anything other than regurgitation of something already done. And if that's all it is, why bother saying this book is going to be written? Douglas Adams already wrote it.

Yeah, I think there's a lot of crotchety and the suchlike on this board. You're certainly not the first to observe it. It just so happens that this board has collected many of the jerks of Discordia. :lol: Every sub-group of a group will have a flavor, and that's the flavor, for the most part (certainly not universally) of this particular group.

Well, I assumed that Kaienne wasn't being entirely serious about the thing and was just making an attempt at a DA reference. I don't think SheHeIt really believes that 42 IS the actual answer.

I see the n00b's 42,23,5,etc meme references as someone attempting to speak the language of our tribe and I welcome it. I want people in my tribe to share some experiences, ideas and memes. They don't need to match or even agree... but there's something to be said for a semblance of tribal identity.

Besides, thinking for yourself doesn't mean that everything you say must be completely original and unique (cause that isn't gonna happen for any of us). Thinking for yourself, can simply be considering all the options before choosing one. That is, I could choose to write some piece of poetry to end this with, or I could select one that I think particularly fitting, which may reference our tribal memes and perhaps give someone pause for thought. I will choose which to do and thus Think for Myself.

And when men become free then mankind will be free.
May you be free of The Curse of Greyface.
May the Goddess put twinkles in your eyes.
May you have the knowledge of a sage,
and the wisdom of a child.
Hail Eris.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

hunter s.durden

We're going with she by the way.

She's expressed much desire to be she, most of us honor that.
This space for rent.

LMNO

Since when was Adams a Discordian, anyway?

AFK

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 20, 2007, 08:15:37 PM

I see the n00b's 42,23,5,etc meme references as someone attempting to speak the language of our tribe and I welcome it. I want people in my tribe to share some experiences, ideas and memes. They don't need to match or even agree... but there's something to be said for a semblance of tribal identity.

But you see, that's just it.  This tribe's identity has always been one that is interested in NOT using these meme references because the feeling is that they are played out.  I think what you've been reading is the tribe voicing that identity.  Sure, it may not be coated in rainbows and puppy dogs.  But, little is in these parts.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: hunter s.durden on July 20, 2007, 08:17:36 PM
We're going with she by the way.

She's expressed much desire to be she, most of us honor that.

Ah very good the... replace all areas of shady identity with She when reading my posts :)

Darth Cupcake

Tribal memes work, as a way of identifying each other/forming a first initial bond.

However, everyone needs to move past that. That is simply surface, if you will. That is, the impression I get, somewhat the purpose of the 50 post rule. Do your thing, but then move past it. Get on to other things, things that are of more significance than just gestures and generic symbols. One thing I tend to dislike about so many other social groups/religions/what-have-you is the clinging to and being into the ground of symbols, whereas we tend to avoid that, or at least attempt to avoid that, here.

I think I have more to say, but the office phone keeps ringing and I keep having to answer it, so my train of thought keeps getting derailed. Sorry! :wink:
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on July 20, 2007, 08:19:27 PM

But you see, that's just it.  This tribe's identity has always been one that is interested in NOT using these meme references because the feeling is that they are played out.  I think what you've been reading is the tribe voicing that identity.  Sure, it may not be coated in rainbows and puppy dogs.  But, little is in these parts. 

Well, as the Lady said: What's wrong with that, if its what you want to do?

You can voice whatever you like... never said you couldn't. I only responded to why I considered it an old crotchety response.

If you want to be the Grinch, then be the Grinch. Just don't be surprised when you find that your fur has turned green and you're perched precariously on the point of a pinnacle, while a band of Discordians laugh at life in the village below.

hunter s.durden

It must also be realized that PD is not just a discordian board, it's a cabal.

Think about it.
This space for rent.

AFK

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 20, 2007, 08:27:34 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on July 20, 2007, 08:19:27 PM

But you see, that's just it.  This tribe's identity has always been one that is interested in NOT using these meme references because the feeling is that they are played out.  I think what you've been reading is the tribe voicing that identity.  Sure, it may not be coated in rainbows and puppy dogs.  But, little is in these parts. 

Well, as the Lady said: What's wrong with that, if its what you want to do?

You can voice whatever you like... never said you couldn't. I only responded to why I considered it an old crotchety response.

If you want to be the Grinch, then be the Grinch. Just don't be surprised when you find that your fur has turned green and you're perched precariously on the point of a pinnacle, while a band of Discordians laugh at life in the village below.

But why are you calling it an "old crotchety" response, as opposed to a tribal response without an age qualifier?
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Triple Zero

the thing is, we pointed out with some good arguments that "42" is a stupid title for such a book, but she's adamant in not taking it seriously.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on July 20, 2007, 08:25:23 PM
Tribal memes work, as a way of identifying each other/forming a first initial bond.

However, everyone needs to move past that. That is simply surface, if you will. That is, the impression I get, somewhat the purpose of the 50 post rule. Do your thing, but then move past it. Get on to other things, things that are of more significance than just gestures and generic symbols. One thing I tend to dislike about so many other social groups/religions/what-have-you is the clinging to and being into the ground of symbols, whereas we tend to avoid that, or at least attempt to avoid that, here.

Is the problem (with these other social groups) a dogmatic stance on the memes, or is it the fact that they have a dogmatic stance?

One might be as dogmatically against a set of memes, as for the same set, perhaps?

Why  does everyone need to move past the PD? Is there some great and important truth to be laid on us all? Have any of us truly figured out what's going on? Are we now to be shepherds of a flock, defining what is and isn't acceptable when "thinking for oneself"?

Quote from: triple zero on July 20, 2007, 08:37:52 PM
the thing is, we pointed out with some good arguments that "42" is a stupid title for such a book, but she's adamant in not taking it seriously.

Err, but I thought not taking it seriously was a hallmark of our playtime....

Triple Zero

nope

sorry we just put out that label to attract moar idiots.

hunter s.durden

Isn't moving past the PD the point of the PD?
This space for rent.