News:

Proud member of the Vin Diesel Friendship Brigade

Main Menu

The Good Book

Started by Kaienne, July 15, 2007, 09:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Quote from: hunter s.durden on July 20, 2007, 09:14:29 PM
Isn't moving past the PD the point of the PD?

can I get an amen?
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on July 20, 2007, 08:31:24 PM
But why are you calling it an "old crotchety" response, as opposed to a tribal response without an age qualifier?

It's metaphorical, I think. The response by sombunal members of this cabal when a n00b wanders in excited by fnords and 23's and flax, seems very similar to those jaded professors that see every new student as just another wide eyed fool, who will grow up and get it someday. Or the old and crotchety folk who curse at the kids for their loud music and their stupid clothes... forgetting that swing and zoot suits were once seen the same way.

You choose how to act, and I'll choose how to interpret what I perceive. Just as with everything else, I might be wrong. Maybe we shouldn't let people play in Discordianism. Maybe we should Demand that they immediately cast off what they just found.

Hating a class of memes, loving a class of memes or playing with classes of memes... we all get to choose.

If you think that you can define "The Point" of the Principia Discordia, then I think you might have missed the point. ;-)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

hunter s.durden

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 20, 2007, 09:20:45 PM
If you think that you can define "The Point" of the Principia Discordia, then I think you might have missed the point. ;-)

So it has no point?
Fuck that book, I've got shit to do.
This space for rent.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 20, 2007, 09:20:45 PMsimilar to those jaded professors that see every new student as just another wide eyed fool, who will grow up and get it someday.

usually the professors turn out to be right, tho.

and if they aren't they're stupid idiots.

but the way they act about their point has nothing to do with whether they're right or wrong.

IN DISCORDIA, POINT MISSES YOU!
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

AFK

Kaienne opened this thread with a summary of a book she wishes to produce ending with the proposed title.  Since this was proposed on a discussion board, the implication is that she was looking for subsequent discussion concerning her idea. 

Discussion ensued.  Many thought the title of the book was cliche, which I find to be a valid criticism. 

I don't think it really has all that much to do with what brand of Discordianism we want everyone to practice, or any other idea like that.  It was simple criticism.  Sure, maybe it was a bit ascerbic, but, since when is that new around here? 

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: hunter s.durden on July 20, 2007, 09:22:25 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on July 20, 2007, 09:20:45 PM

So it has no point?
Fuck that book, I've got shit to do.

DING! You get the Kewpie Doll!!!

If the PD has a point, it seems that point exists in the mind of the reader. I got lots of points out of the book and not one of them was "Get past the PD".

For me (and my reality tunnel) the PD has provided me with many points. I think Nonsense As Salvation may sum up a core tenant of what Greg, Kerry and the rest of those nutballs were trying to communicate. Order, Disorder, Chaos, Constancy, Discord and Harmony... all places to play. All things to experience. All ways to impose a grid on reality.

Sometimes I think people try so hard to Think For Themselves that they form robotic responses... when thats within a tribe it may quickly become dogma. But, maybe I'm wrong.

Quote from: triple zero on July 20, 2007, 09:23:58 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on July 20, 2007, 09:20:45 PMsimilar to those jaded professors that see every new student as just another wide eyed fool, who will grow up and get it someday.

usually the professors turn out to be right, tho.

and if they aren't they're stupid idiots.

but the way they act about their point has nothing to do with whether they're right or wrong.

I don't disagree. Personally, I think that most Discordians eventually give up or figure out the first level of the punchline. The longer someone holds to the Discordian paths, the more bits of the punchline they seem to get. Sometimes though, some Discordians get to the first or second level of the punchline and think they've figured it all out. Sometimes Discordians seem to think that they've figured something out and they try to tell the punchline to all the n00bs that haven't even got to the end of the joke yet.

There are many kinds of professors. Some as I said, jaded and serious, without any empathy for the student who is excited over the possibilities of Quantum Physics and slit experiments. Others enjoy the naivety of the student and their excitement, often rekindling their own excitement over something that they see everyday. My mentor was like that and I have chosen to act in a similar fashion about Discordianism.

Neither professor is necessarily right or wrong. But, some are old and crotchety.

I suppose it depends on how easily you can swap models. I like to play in the Erisian model, switch to the more philosophical Discordian model, jump into the Sub Genius model for a good devival and then hop out of all of those and pull of some serious Chaos Magic, or design a new system at the office. Getting stuck in only one of those models seems anathema not only to the PD (and some of the philosophies of Bob's that I like), but anathema to the choices I've made since escaping restrictive reality tunnels.

Like what you like, Enjoy what you enjoy... and so will I ;-)

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on July 20, 2007, 09:36:12 PM
Kaienne opened this thread with a summary of a book she wishes to produce ending with the proposed title.  Since this was proposed on a discussion board, the implication is that she was looking for subsequent discussion concerning her idea. 

Discussion ensued.  Many thought the title of the book was cliche, which I find to be a valid criticism. 

I don't think it really has all that much to do with what brand of Discordianism we want everyone to practice, or any other idea like that.  It was simple criticism.  Sure, maybe it was a bit ascerbic, but, since when is that new around here? 

Quite possibly. Which is why I made the comment that I did. Though instead of saying:

"Don't worry newbie, our conversations are a bit ascerbic at times"

I said, "Don't worry, some of the old farts around here get grumpy when they haven't had a fnordling to chew on for awhile."

Not my fault if some people don't like the comparison  :fnord:

Slarti

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 20, 2007, 06:17:07 PM
Quote from: triple zero on July 20, 2007, 12:44:10 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on July 20, 2007, 12:44:18 AMKaienne,

Don't worry, some of the old farts around here get grumpy when they haven't had a fnordling to chew on for awhile.

hey

i dunno about the others, but i only flame when faced with someone who seems oblivious to any sort of regular critique.

does that make me a grumpy old fart whose posts you advise people not to worry about?

Dunno... why do you feel the need to flame someone who is oblivious to your critique? Does your opinion seem that important to you? More interestingly, why should your critique be considered useful by someone else? Hell, you're a pseudonym on a Discordian message board, why would anyone consider a critique from such a source to be useful?

Do you believe that Kaienne is wrong? Do you believe that you have the true information to correct him/her/it? So what if she/he/it (still haven't quite figured it out) has only started to scratch the surface of ideas many of us have already prodded? When I first became a Discordian, I was excited about pineal glands and 42 and 23 and 5, then I learned (through my own research, not through the lame flames of other Discordians) what seems to be the key behind some of those ideas.

Who the hell cares if Kaienne thinks that (what is the contraction for She/He/It...) she-he-it will write a book called 42 and it will contain THE secrets of Life? Does that make your life less interesting for you (if so, I wonder who really has the problem)? Good Flames rarely improve the behavior of anyone, they rarely see a different concept or have their perceptions modified by it, and honestly, what's been posted here, seems to me, pathetic excuses for "flames" .  I mean the lack of creativity, the the repetitious manner of the content... its enough to make the baby Eris cry a little bit.

Sometimes flames can be appropriate. I think the thread "BIP - Just Call Me Nigger To My Face" fits the bill quite nicely. The idiot tried to force his lame ideas on us, and he got what he deserved. Kaienne just posted a dumb idea that many of us have heard before (along with the dumb "Ideal Discordian" and "DMT is IN YOU"! stuff). However, that's the same sort of thing  many Discordians have gone through... to flame someone for being at the beginning of the path seems rather pathetic to me.

So many here seem to have an aversion to the memes of Discordianism. Not just adverse, but downright hostile. I love the trappings of classic Discordianism. They're tribal memes and I'm proud to be part of that tribe of philosophers and madmen. That doesn't mean that I MUST use them, or that I think they hold the secrets to the universe (in a specific sense), but I sure as hell don't mind the kids in the tribe getting excited. I feel no more animosity toward Kaienne, than I do toward the little kid that thinks Santa is real. They'll both learn in their own time.

Since I started hanging out here, I've noticed this tendency for flamefests to appear whenever some poor n00b hits one of the old Standards. I have to wonder how much people may see themselves and if self-loathing might be behind such a reaction.

So yes, flames about how lame someone is for using the Discordian tribal memes, seems to me an indicator that someone has grown old and crotchety as a Discordian. An almost Scrooge or Grinch-like reaction to the wonder and innocence of the youth of our Tribe... or not, your mileage may vary and past performance is not indicative of future results. This post is Void where prohibited.

:potd:

hunter s.durden

Fuck Discordianism.

Dead serious.
I'm out.
I'm tired of this really real bullshit.

My new religion is "Broke Pinkgenius."
I wanna be a Subgenius, but I don't have 30 dollars.

I'm the only motherfucker in the religion, so I know more about it than every single one of you shit-heads.

At one point, as a Discordian pope, I could do that. I could excommunicate everyone and make it my own religion. Somehow though, the Really Reals, and Pinealists, and Art Majors, took that away from me.

Eat my shit.
I am God.
This space for rent.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: hunter s.durden on July 21, 2007, 04:17:37 AM
Fuck Discordianism.

Dead serious.
I'm out.

I'm the only motherfucker in the religion, so I know more about it than every single one of you shit-heads.

At one point, as a Discordian pope, I could do that. I could excommunicate everyone and make it my own religion. Somehow though, the Really Reals, and Pinealists, and Art Majors, took that away from me.

Eat my shit.
I am God.

now THAT is the :potd:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Slarti

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on July 21, 2007, 05:24:15 AM
Fuck Discordianism.

Dead serious.
I'm out.

Eat my shit.
I am God.

now THAT is the :potd:

q f t

Cain

Mangrove

Fuck Discordianism.

Dead serious.
I'm out.

Eat my shit.
I am God.

Since you are so wrathful, arbitrary and inaccessible (and I have self-esteem issues) can I please join your religion?  :sad:

Mang' - tired of self-improvement, now in the market for short-cuts.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Thurnez Isa

Fuck Discordianism.

Dead serious.
I'm out.

Eat my shit.
I am God.

HALLELULAH!!!

Horrible truths ITT
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Kaienne

I'm just a big fan of Douglas Adams, I have been for several years now. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy says that the answer to life, the universe, and everything is 42. Therefore, were I to write a book that answered life, the universe, and everything, logically the only title truly fitting would be '42'.

As for the 'DMT is IN YOU' meme, I've been tracking that for way the fuck longer than since when I found out about Discordianism. All of the memes I'm really big on, they're all things I was already into long before I found out about Discordianism; the fact that quirky little things I enjoyed were supposed mainstays of the religion was one of it's calling points for me. I'm sorry to hear that you folk are burnt out from overexposure, but fuck you, I'm not.

Also I typically go by 'zhe'.
In a constant state of losing The Game.