News:

Testimonial: "I cannot see a slither of a viable defense for this godawful circlejerk board."

Main Menu

The Black Iron Prison - v2

Started by Cramulus, July 18, 2007, 06:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quick Thought for a sidebar (still working on it looking for ideas):

The Rules of A Black Iron Prison

DO NOT Question Authority
DO NOT Question Beliefs
DO NOT Question Ideology
DO NOT Question Perception

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 19, 2007, 06:08:38 PM
Quick Thought for a sidebar (still working on it looking for ideas):

The Rules of A Black Iron Prison

DO NOT Question Authority
DO NOT Question Beliefs
DO NOT Question Ideology
DO NOT Question Perception

I dig this.

But I'd suggest changing it to "The Rules of The Black Iron Prison" because I think giving it the definitive "the" as opposed to the vaguer "a" sounds a bit better/more serious/more powerful.

As silly as it seems, would we give as much credit to "a central intelligence agency" versus "THE central intelligence agency," etc.

I know there's a better way to say this. Does anyone get what I'm saying?
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Cramulus

Yeah -

I'd like to push us to get inside our target audience's head.

Someone who is actually reading this pamphlet probably isn't going to be shaken up by the suggestion to question authority.

Likewise there's a piece in there which holds up consumers of Starbucks as an example of people who are still stuck in the BIP. This doesn't sit well with me, because Starbucks is a very common thing to attack for all strains of nonconformists. Frankly, if we were writing a pamphlet for the chronic Starbucks drinker (one who's really into the image of carrying around a cup of Starbucks coffee), we should approach it completely differently.

one of the bars in my BIP is watching the Colbert Report. I happen to LIKE that bar, but I do see it as a bar. It's a ritualistic behavior I engage in which places controls on other behaviors. (for example: I generally won't engage in activities which would occupy my 11:30-12:00 weekday time slot)

There were a few pieces I didn't add into this edit because although they were good, they were aimed at conservatives. "God forbid you be friends with a LIBERAL!" Though the reasoning of the piece was sound, specifically addressing it to that group make it seem to apply less to me.

Cain's piece on the two-man con is a good example of how to get people to think about the problems without attacking them for their bars. After all, those are THEIR bars - we have to make them want to jailbreak, not villainize them for their coffee choices.

Target Audience, people!

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on July 19, 2007, 07:09:45 PM
Yeah -

I'd like to push us to get inside our target audience's head.

Someone who is actually reading this pamphlet probably isn't going to be shaken up by the suggestion to question authority.

Likewise there's a piece in there which holds up consumers of Starbucks as an example of people who are still stuck in the BIP. This doesn't sit well with me, because Starbucks is a very common thing to attack for all strains of nonconformists. Frankly, if we were writing a pamphlet for the chronic Starbucks drinker (one who's really into the image of carrying around a cup of Starbucks coffee), we should approach it completely differently.

one of the bars in my BIP is watching the Colbert Report. I happen to LIKE that bar, but I do see it as a bar. It's a ritualistic behavior I engage in which places controls on other behaviors. (for example: I generally won't engage in activities which would occupy my 11:30-12:00 weekday time slot)

There were a few pieces I didn't add into this edit because although they were good, they were aimed at conservatives. "God forbid you be friends with a LIBERAL!" Though the reasoning of the piece was sound, specifically addressing it to that group make it seem to apply less to me.

Cain's piece on the two-man con is a good example of how to get people to think about the problems without attacking them for their bars. After all, those are THEIR bars - we have to make them want to jailbreak, not villainize them for their coffee choices.

Target Audience, people!

I agree... I mean, even if someone does drink Starbucks, it doesn't necessarily mean that their blind and trapped fools. They may just like Caramel Macchiatos. There exists, I think a tendency to align the Discordian movement with the anti-disestablishment movement. But yet, that seems to have more to do with preexisting memes that Discordians may have picked up, rather than anything to do with She What Done it All or escaping our BiP.

Is the vegan protester (who spends every day protesting meat, fur, the war and whatever protest de jour may appear) any less trapped than the corporate executive (who spends every day in meetings, typing furiously into a Blackberry)? Is the "starving artist" any less trapped in his meme than the happy Christian stay-at-home mom?

Maybe this could be something to elaborate on?

Triple Zero

1 i'm gonna rummage my harddisk for some random bits of drawing and stuff that might be useful for pictures. i'd like to license these pictures to the BIP project only and retain intellectual ownership of it otherwise. but that's just a legal word thing, and you don't need to put that in a disclaimer anywhere or anything :)

2 use the sacred chao as watermark, in light grey. i did this for a popecard once and it looks cool. i used the chao image from the "fnord" truetype font, which is full of goody discordian gliffs and stuff. i think you can download the .TTF from poee.co.uk .

2.5 either you do a test print to see for yourself, or you make any watermarks not darker than 15% black! it may seem very light on your monitor, but alread at 20% black, black text will become hard to read.

2.6 dunno what program you're using (did you get indesign from DC?), but you can make text with background images easier to read with the following trick: basically you make three layers: the background image, the text in white, the text in black. now you move the white text half a millimeter to the bottom-right, so it'll appear as a thin white "shadow"/lining over the image. it will make the text better readable on a printer. another option is to set the 'stroke' of the font to white, so the lining appears all around it, but that's not the usual way it's done. i have no idea how to accomplish this in MS Word, btw.

3 get out of BIP free == awesome, but rat (and cram), you need to remove the black background or it will not print properly on a black/white printer. also you must make sure that "Black Iron Prison" is written out, otherwise, if the card gets cut out and spread, nobod will know what BIP stands for.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Darth Cupcake

He is using MS Word. :eek:

I will burn him InDesign to CD if he wants it.

Cramulus

though I'd like InDesign, I have no desire to start this project from scratch. --InDesign can't import the whole MSWord file with no need to reformat, can it?

Can someone help me out and remove the orange background from the Get out of BIP free card? MSPaint is bad at those things and I'm at work.

Triple Zero

maybe MS Word has some option where you can give the text a "shadow". you make that shadow very thin and white, and it should work as well.

and no i don't think indesign can do that.

i'll also have a stab at the orange background

just remember to keep the transparency of the watermark backgrounds down to 15% !

ok images from my photobucket:

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g213/05136/double_barstool_action.png -- give it a subscript "the barstool hits the priest and scientist alike"
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g213/05136/85678aedff47da66090a26ec8138e2f1.png -- i forgot what this was actually about, doodled during a philosophy class on metaphysics, something about a man representing a metaphore representing himself, inside-out of his head (?)
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g213/05136/truefalseth.gif -- this is stolen from some website. you should probably print it on one of those cards, so people won't know which side is up.

i have some other drawings on the photobucket, but they're more eyecandy, like this:
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g213/05136/1073ff171802d29069308ac9929b3022.png
if you need more of that, for random images filling up your page and corners with, i got a few more.

now i will actually look through my harddisk where there is more stuff (i've scanned 90% of all my drawings cause i trust harddisks more than i trust paper :) )
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Triple Zero

Triple Zero

why has WOMP not yet used this, btw:

you will want to use this old ancient woodcut:
(very high resolution version i dug up somewhere from the dark dusty cellar of the interwebs)

going through my old cartoons now .. they're almost all in dutch ;-)

Darth Cupcake

I want cartoons in Dutch!

I enjoyed listening to and attempting to read things in Dutch when I was in Amsterdam. I saved a lot of flyers, restaurant menus, etc, from my trip there.

Also, languages that are nothing like English are awesome. I enjoy playing Clue in Danish, for example. :lol:

Triple Zero

one incomprehensible dutch cartoon for DCUP:

this one might be useful? cause it doesn't have many words and still describes a sort of philosophical statement about people trying to create order in their environment whether they understand it or not:

otherwise my cartoons seem to consist mostly of text and a few guys looking at eachother and saying things (which are someitmes not even funny, but that's on purpose, i love to torture my readers with trying to find nonexistant puns) .. either way, if i were to translate them, it might work, but for plain imagery, there's not much there.

Darth Cupcake

I totally dig your style of drawing.

Is it okay if I mail these to my former roomie? She's really into learning languages (last I heard she was working on Icelandic) and I know Dutch was always on her list, so even if she doesn't understand them, I know they'll make her really happy.

Triple Zero

sure.

i (FROM HEREON KNOWN AS THE ARTIST) hereby license you (PARTY OF THE FIRST PART) to email one (1) copy of these cartoons to your former roomie (PARTY OF THE SECOND PART).

loves a party