News:

One of our core values:  "THEY REFILLED MY RITALIN AND BY THE WAY I WANNA EAT YOUR BEAR HEAD."

Main Menu

The Black Iron Prison - v2

Started by Cramulus, July 18, 2007, 06:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

I sort of agree that the references to the website should be taken out or turned into something else (same with references to 'goddess,' although the PD had more of that than this does).  But I like the content.  I don't think it sounds like a sales pitch.  Maybe we could clear that up by modifying the format a little somehow, like taking the most "at you" passages and turning them into a dialogue or something.

But like one piece says, which I agree with, at this point I don't see much point in dressing up what we're saying or trying to angle our way into people's minds somehow.  I don't have much desire to play it cool or try to subvert minds without their knowing it.  IMHO, this edition, like the original, is about speaking to people who already have some of these ideas.  Maybe helping some of them align their own thoughts and misgivings, and directing them here, so that we can begin upgrading the level of discourse.

Unlike the PD, which was a work of random propaganda pushed into the masses and directed at people the authors never had any intention of meeting or talking to, this edition of the BIP is very much looking for discourse and exchange of ideas.  The Internet has already fundamentally changed the nature of Discordianism in that everyone can "stick apart" but still connect.  In my view, forcing the old paradigm of "Everyone 100% for themselves" is just as foolish as limiting your discourse to 23s and Fnords.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cramulus

Good spot - the line about 'being on this website' is edited out in the most current edit.

After we're all happy with this version I'll release a PDF in readable order and a PDF in printable booklet order. I really hope to be done with all this by Friday this week.

I think that's some really good but broad feedback, Ubermensch. At the moment we're in the phase where we need more specific comments. As far as suggesting changes - if you're feeling bold, I recommend that you get an account on the wiki and edit the parts you're talking about. Bump me about it and I'll make the changes in the manuscript.

CRAMULUS!

The Littlest Ubermensch

Have an account for the wiki, but I don't use it much (though I should get started using it again). I really don't know what actions to take though, because as Vex said, the purpose of this is to establish dialogue, not make another PD. One part of me thinks that perhaps we could scrap the BIP pamphlet entirely and instead focus on the dialogue and nothing else. Deliberately not creating a focal point of thought could very well be just what is necessary to get people talking and thinking, rather than latching onto some stuff written down in a book and ending the thought process there. (And then from there focus on various acts of mindfuckery.) Then there's another part of me that thinks that, as in many things, the middle way is the way to go here. Edit the rants so that they're not in an "at you" style (and even stories which sound obviously like they're intended to get a point across, like the one on page three), but still heavily emphasize that this is just a way to bring up thought, not end the thinking. Perhaps it would be helpful to remove the redundant essays which really don't have any fundamental differences from each other. Like the "there is no conspiracy" rant of TGRR's. It's completely unnecessary, especially if our intended audience is people who already have some concept that something is up. Or "Toxicity". All it does is point out "some people aren't using their brains". It's quite possibly the only common theme running throughout the pamphlet, and it doesn't need reinforcing. I think a good addition to the pamphlet would be an essay with a point that often goes unmade on this forum or contradicts most of the other essays. For example, an essay saying "give up, you're a bunch of chemicals and your own consciousness is just an accidentally created strange loop, so there's no use trying to do anything, especially improve yourself." I've heard similar opinions expressed before, and I'm sure we could find something. Or perhaps something who's major point was to take things slow, let life be, and live a life of least resistance (though that means not resisting your innermost desires, first and foremost, and if a life of fighting the powers that be is your style, go for it.) (I think I'm going to write that one out in a little bit, actually.)
[witticism/philosophical insight/nifty quote to prove my intelligence to the forum]

LISTEN TO MY SHOW THURSDAY 5-7 EST

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE

AFK

But, if we are able to piece together a brand new, fresh publication after this one, it won't be a focal point.  I think if we could somehow establish a small trickle of publications we'd alleviate that possible problem. 

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cramulus

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on July 23, 2007, 02:09:18 PMI think if we could somehow establish a small trickle of publications we'd alleviate that possible problem. 

this is the correct motorcycle.

Personally, I think editing and laying these things out is FUN. It's even better when they get distributed. And double better if they come to the website and hash it out with us. And triple better if some minds or cocks get blown in the process.

My buddy gave the BIP pamphlet to some Jehovahs Witnesses yesterday. SCORE.

The Littlest Ubermensch

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on July 23, 2007, 02:09:18 PM
But, if we are able to piece together a brand new, fresh publication after this one, it won't be a focal point.  I think if we could somehow establish a small trickle of publications we'd alleviate that possible problem. 

But we're just us. Less than 20 assorted weirdos aren't going to pump out nearly enough material to both get the ball rolling and not end up making a "holy book" (or several) of sorts.
[witticism/philosophical insight/nifty quote to prove my intelligence to the forum]

LISTEN TO MY SHOW THURSDAY 5-7 EST

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE

Triple Zero

it took only two weirdos to make the PD.

also, look at the amount of material we've produced so far. if somebody professional (meaning they'd get paid and be good at what they do) was to collect it all, modify a bit in order to put it in an interesting format, add pictures, mesh everything together we've produced so far, spread the memebombs throughout the book, etc etc etc -- it'd be as big as 23 PDs at the least.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: triple zero on July 23, 2007, 11:15:20 PM
it took only two weirdos to make the PD.

also, look at the amount of material we've produced so far. if somebody professional (meaning they'd get paid and be good at what they do) was to collect it all, modify a bit in order to put it in an interesting format, add pictures, mesh everything together we've produced so far, spread the memebombs throughout the book, etc etc etc -- it'd be as big as 23 PDs at the least.

The two weirdos that made the PD never intended it to be a published work. They didn't plan it to start a revolution of ideas (or so they claimed... hrmmm) They did it for the hell of it, for the laughs (lulz), because they liked to fuck with people. And then through Kerry and his nutty Hippie connections, through Bob and his counterculture connections... something changed evolved and became what the PD is today. They did not seek the Chao, the Chao was thrust upon them. They did not preach the Words, they were inspired by it and the Words shine through in their inspiration as a message is delivered via a painting. They didn't worry about formatting, presentation, distribution or even next steps. They simply typed up crazy memos and sent them to their friends. They created fake newsletters and mailed them. They played.

I often wonder if that's why there hasn't been a supplement, replacement or sequel  to the PD that has matched it. All the rest, to use Jean Baudrillard's model, were perhaps simulacrum.

*That's not to say that there might not be intentional mind fucking going on...
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Triple Zero

you sure they didn't intend it?

wasn't there instructions to copy it?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: triple zero on July 23, 2007, 11:47:54 PM

Once PD version 1 appeared... but that was not much more that a collection of preexisting material with a few additions.  Most of their material came as part of playing, not publishing ;-)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 23, 2007, 11:58:21 PM
Quote from: triple zero on July 23, 2007, 11:47:54 PM

Once PD version 1 appeared... but that was not much more that a collection of preexisting material with a few additions.  Most of their material came as part of playing, not publishing ;-)

Foolish padwan! You should know that Discordians are immune to actual history and real facts.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

AFK

Quote from: The Littlest Ubermensch on July 23, 2007, 11:10:52 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on July 23, 2007, 02:09:18 PM

But we're just us. Less than 20 assorted weirdos aren't going to pump out nearly enough material to both get the ball rolling and not end up making a "holy book" (or several) of sorts.

That's why I said "small trickle".  Yeah, it would be challening for us to regularly pump out 30 to 40 page pamphlets.  But, I think maybe one a year is an admirable and doable goal.  We certainly have enough people who are very adept at wordsmithing. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cramulus

I'd like to call this thing finished and release the final PDFs

but I'm still waiting for LMNO's revision of reality
and TOG - did you say you wanted to edit your piece? I got the last edit you sent me and it fits in nicely - are you comfortable with it in that form or do you want to put some spin on it?

CRAMULUS

That One Guy

Run with it - I don't have time to deal with any more edits, and if it works that's cool.
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.

Cramulus

http://www.4shared.com/file/20715219/672731b9/bip_booklet2.html

final round of feedback necessary so we can dump it into PDF and call it a day.

only specific commentary please
for example: "the comic should be centered"
or "that background needs to be more transparent"
or "replace X with Y"
or "on page XX, add this meme bomb 'this is a meme bomb!'"

no broad comments like: "it should be less condescending" unless you have a specific fix written up

LMNO, still time to get in your revised essay if you can get it by tomorrow.

CRAMULUS