News:

PD.com forums: a disorganized echo-chamber full of concordian, Greyfaced radical left-wing nutjobs who honestly believe they can take down imaginary Nazis by distributing flyers. They are highly-suspicious of all newcomers and hostile to almost everyone, including themselves. The only thing they don't take seriously is Discordianism.

Main Menu

The Black Iron Prison - v2

Started by Cramulus, July 18, 2007, 06:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

AFK

Mang had come up with a bunch of things based on IRON.

e.g. Inspiration Requires Original Notions

I noticed one page had a bit of white space.  If we were able to find those I would suggest plopping those in.  Or just the above one.  It was my personal fave anyway. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

guest7654

Just some thoughts from a noob. 

In regards to the discussion about the flaws of the BIP (around pg.5)
Why not, instead of trying to "fix" the BIP to suite the audience, just fix the audience to suite the BIP.  What I mean is a prequel and well probably a sequel.  I have heard talk of the Lollercaust and something else as originally being a part of something bigger.  Maybe I misread that, but....   With a more "proper" beginning for a wider audience (or to hook more of the desired audience) one could be eased into the BIP after a few pages of something less alienating (i.e. Lollercaust).  Then finish off with some crazy shit that gets them up off their asses and onto the internets to find out more (or something like that). 

When I first read the BIP I enjoyed it but I did notice the negative aspects.  It didn't really bother me because I had already read the PD.  If our audience is mainly people who have never heard of Discordians or RAW, then we should keep that in mind.

Is the purpose of the project to "convert" the audience?  Well regardless the purpose, I would suggest leaving out direct endorsements of the PD until a few pages into the aformentioned trilogy (after the hook is set).  (Maybe leave it out all together and just let people find out on their own, if/when they go looking up info about the Goddess, or fnord, etc.)

maybe [pd.com "You have found clue #3."] somewhere.  Then they get pissed when they type in pd.com and goto netmagic.

Ok, the letters on the screen are fucking with me.  wtf....anyway, just a thought (or 2)

LMNO

Cramulus

and on that note:

TA DA!!!
http://www.4shared.com/file/20974039/5b6374e0/The_Black_Iron_Prison.html
I would call this "finished".

I'm not sure how to dump this into a PDF
can anyone here hook us up?

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

Synaptyclypse Generator Publishing Sect, POEE International Resource Center

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

LMNO

There's a lot of hanging text there.

That is, I think the font size needs to come down.  yr getting a lot of pages that are the last lines of essays, and then nothing else on the page.

Triple Zero

agree about the hanging text. how did that happen? it wasn't like that in the word document?

otherwise it looks AWESOME

other thing, i think the watermarks need to be still lighter. maybe i'm used to print on printers with a too dark gamma (or maybe i'm looking at it wrong, cause i haven't worked with print yet from previews on my new-ish LCD monitor)
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Cramulus

Yeah - hm, I'm not getting the page spill on my .doc, but I'm getting it in Syn's PDF. I think its because the page frame got changed somehow into that shadowbox thing. When you guys view my .doc, do you see it as a 36 or 52 page document? (should be 36, with no page overflow)

also, why is it called lollercaust.pdf? Lollercaust is a different project/product.

I can scan it into PDF (the printers at work RULE) but it'll be an image scan - so you won't be able to highlight or copy text.

Cramulus

Quote from: triple zero on July 30, 2007, 05:03:24 PM
other thing, i think the watermarks need to be still lighter. maybe i'm used to print on printers with a too dark gamma (or maybe i'm looking at it wrong, cause i haven't worked with print yet from previews on my new-ish LCD monitor)

sure - can you clarify which watermarks?

other last-minute change - in the shuffle my .doc named LMNO's piece "fuurther explorations", but it will be changed to "further". I'll reupload the .doc when the watermarks are fixed.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on July 30, 2007, 05:08:51 PM
sure - can you clarify which watermarks?

mostly the ones that are not shaded grey photographs but hard black-white logos and texts. so the image of the factory smoke is okay, but most of the others aren't :)
but as i said, you'd need to print it to make sure. i'm only familiar with what shade of grey on my old CRT monitor would produce a too-dark watermark, it might be completely different on this monitor.

apart from that, just go ahead, i don't think the text will become entirely illegible either.

more remarks (to the PDF):

- page 22, the cursive line of text falls into the black margin
- page 24, the smoking factory image watermark spreads over the page shadow thing (that page shadow thing looks really cool, imo)
- true/false image on page 41 obscures part of the text
- not entirely sure if the white-on-dark text will be readable on page 42. maybe if you boldface it. also i'm not entirely sure if the dark image itself won't turn into a dark blotch. (remember we're probably dealing with cheap printers here)
- the key watermark on page 47 probably has too much fine detail and will distract from the letters of the text (again, not sure)

That One Guy

Hey Prof - I took a look at things in order to try doing some more PDF magic with the Pro version at work, and the .doc file I downloaded was 58 pages and contained all the weird formatting and page break issues people seem to be running into with Syn's PDF.

At this point, I'll hold off until all the little edits are in place before going into making a PDF of this. However, it's weird that some things are being seen with and some without the formatting. What version of Word did you use to make this, Prof? If it's the latest version that could be causing some issues as post-Vista Office programs react VERY badly with pre-Vista versions, especially in regards to formatting - I think there's a "Save As" option that allows it to be saved in an older format. If that's not it (I'm running Word 2003) then I don't know off-hand what's causing the weirdness with formatting, but something sure is.
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on July 30, 2007, 05:06:37 PM
Yeah - hm, I'm not getting the page spill on my .doc, but I'm getting it in Syn's PDF. I think its because the page frame got changed somehow into that shadowbox thing. When you guys view my .doc, do you see it as a 36 or 52 page document? (should be 36, with no page overflow)

also, why is it called lollercaust.pdf? Lollercaust is a different project/product.

I can scan it into PDF (the printers at work RULE) but it'll be an image scan - so you won't be able to highlight or copy text.

I'm getting a whole intertruk of weirdness concerning this file. When I saved the file it came down as "LOLLERCAUST.doc" then I made the .pdf from that. The formatting is a bit odd too. Why 6"x4"? Trying to force that much text per page is going to make a 6"x4" booklet barely readable.