News:

PD.com: Worse than that time when I conjured a handkerchief from that deaf kid's ear.

Main Menu

Ethnic cognitive disparities.

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, June 15, 2012, 07:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

My heritage is American. Genealogy research has informed me that my father's side of the family has a mix of various European roots, most notably Irish (My father's maternal great grandfather), Scottish (Maternal side, dating back to the Revolutionary war), German (My father's paternal great-grandparents) and Welsh (My father's paternal side, dating back to the early 1800's).

On my mother's side, there's almost no genealogical data that can be documented. According to the family, my mother's great grandmother claimed to be half Blackfoot (and the tintype of her at my grandma's house has some very native features). However, since most of the family is illiterate and very poor, with a lot of home births... tracking down anything useful is almost impossible.

A couple interesting things I found though.

My paternal grandmother believed her maiden name was Rhoades, when we found her birth certificate her father's last name was listed as Rood. We found out that my grandmother and all of her siblings had been spelling their last name incorrectly and differently from each other. From that we were able to document the family back to a Scottish lord that was sent to the Colonies during the Revolution as a fighter for the British. He immediately switched sides, changed his name and joined the revolutionaries.

My paternal great great great grandfather was chased out of several towns in Virginia, West Virginia and Ohio for A) Impersonating a travelling preacher, then taking the money and running, B) Stealing horses and C) Selling 'cure-all' medicine.

So my genetics are a mix of turncoats, swindlers and whatever else got tossed out of Europe.  :lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Nephew Twiddleton

Bump. I think that this deserves more attention, since I did not attend it to be a commentary on Irish politics, but rather cognitive dissonance.

I think I have also altered my politics. I support the Republic of Ireland, obviously. I also support and independent Republic of Ulster. Independent, permanently, of The United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland.

No unification. Ever.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

dontblameyoko

i'm part-German, part-Cornish (and other English), part-Irish, part-French, part-Dutch, part-Danish (by adoption), and 25% unknown.
i used to think i was part-Welsh.  now i'm not sure.  (was proud of being part-Welsh too...had a mini identity crisis when i found out i migh not be, lol)
to the person who is/may be related to Abe Lincoln: so is my friend's daughter, evidently.
BBBBP
PPBLL ~Ted Kennedy as a baby (http://beatonna.livejournal.com/116931.html)
"ty7h hg uh nmcx,m cv8t gygj jg" ~another baby

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: dontblameyoko on July 25, 2012, 12:10:18 AM
i'm part-German, part-Cornish (and other English), part-Irish, part-French, part-Dutch, part-Danish (by adoption), and 25% unknown.
i used to think i was part-Welsh.  now i'm not sure.  (was proud of being part-Welsh too...had a mini identity crisis when i found out i migh not be, lol)
to the person who is/may be related to Abe Lincoln: so is my friend's daughter, evidently.

Hi cousin.  :lol:
On my mom's side, English (Cornish included), Irish, Scottish, Dutch, German, Swiss, French Huegenot, and maybe some other people they won't tell me about ("Black Dutch" usually translates to "Native American trying not to get totally dispossessed or killed").
On my dad's side, if the guy my mom named really is my dad, his mom immigrated from Alsace. French & German as best I can trace them. His dad's people have a Polish/Lithuanian surname but the line STOPS at his grandfather. Other people doing research on that name have never heard of these people. I did find an old document where his grandfather said he came from Holland. I suspect a name change and a whole buncha bullshit. Probably ought to get my DNA done.  :p
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

LMNO

I'm pretty sure I'm Modern American.  Fourth generation, or something.