Author Topic: Open Bar: Drinks are on the Supreme Court  (Read 26241 times)

Faust

• Tyrannical Overlord
  • Deserved It
  • The Greasy Strangler
    • View Profile
Re: Open Bar: Drinks are on the Supreme Court
« Reply #705 on: May 20, 2019, 09:40:54 pm »
My Game of thrones take... Played it safe. Not disappointed but not satisfied either. A lot of lavish iconography but minimal plot development. The resolution through melodrama for the first plotline I felt rang hollow. The resolution for the kingdom, was less so, but still felt off.
Poochie flew away to his home planet where I assume at some point he will get voiced by Sean Connery.
Since the books ran out they have avoided using a lot of dialog, and everyone but Tyrion came off clunky and big leaps occur based on small lines.
I think of Twin peaks from a couple of years ago, which I loved, but has a deliberately dissatisfying ending, a literal "you can never go home". But everything else about that was trying something artistically interesting, this is just trying to ring the right notes successfully and it did that in a very wobbly fashion.

The horse drawing  sums it up well. Seasons 1-3 were detailed rich stories driven by excellent dialog and unexpected story telling. This, was a crude approximation of that.
Narrator: In time you will know the tragic extent of my failings

May you find your worth in the waking world.

Cain

• Alea iacta est
  • Chekha
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: May 21, 2019, 01:08:36 am »
As I've said multiple times, after watching a Queen commanding magic beasties lay waste to armies and cities, they decided to find the next best person with incredibly exploitable and unnatural powers and make him King?

Good job everyone.  Twenty years from now, people talking shit about him are going to get pecked to death in the streets...possibly before they can even actually say anything.  Though not taking any of Grey Worm's shit was a good start.

I felt Tyrion's comments were a nice nod to the argument between Varys and Littlefinger about the nature of the realm.

The Johnny

• did nots
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: May 21, 2019, 01:26:29 am »
As I've said multiple times, after watching a Queen commanding magic beasties lay waste to armies and cities, they decided to find the next best person with incredibly exploitable and unnatural powers and make him King?

Good job everyone.  Twenty years from now, people talking shit about him are going to get pecked to death in the streets...possibly before they can even actually say anything.  Though not taking any of Grey Worm's shit was a good start.

I felt Tyrion's comments were a nice nod to the argument between Varys and Littlefinger about the nature of the realm.

Hey guys, monarchy doesnt seem to work, and democracy is such a retarded idea, PSHH, obviously the best solution seems to give absolute rule to AN ALL SEEING MAGICAL BIG BROTHER.

WHAT COULD GO WRONG?

Cain

• Alea iacta est
  • Chekha
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: May 21, 2019, 01:30:43 am »
Who, if he abuses his warg powers, may be functionally immortal, lets not forget (this wasn't shown in the series, but the warg skinchanger Jon Snow kills actually escapes by placing his spirit in an eagle - which is promptly jacked by another warg and incinerated by Melisandre).

Doktor Howl

• Вся ваша база принадлежит нам
  • One-Armed Jizz Moppers
  • Deserved It
  • Horrible Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: May 21, 2019, 02:31:49 am »
I do like the fact that the bad guys get killed just as fast as the good guys.
Sometimes there is no solution.  Like carbon in the atmosphere, where a high enough rate will not come back to normal for a thousand years or more.  So don't hold your breathe, because none of us will live to see it, even if we lived the theoretical maximum age a human can reach.

Faust

• Tyrannical Overlord
  • Deserved It
  • The Greasy Strangler
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: May 21, 2019, 08:05:17 am »

His murderous impulses are clearly tempered by the power of autism. Until he Wargs Drogon (the only thing he had any interest in in his kingdoms council meeting) and declares himself God Emperor.
Narrator: In time you will know the tragic extent of my failings

May you find your worth in the waking world.

Cain

• Alea iacta est
  • Chekha
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: May 21, 2019, 09:57:00 am »
 :lulz:

Juana

• Hideous and Otherworldly Attack Duckling of DESPAIR
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: May 22, 2019, 05:46:19 pm »
i got my third letter of rec yesterday and now i can start applying to more teaching jobs. the new one mentions things that i was really hoping to see (kind but firm classroom management and always in control of the room, they complain i make them work and don't let them play with their phones, p good at working with students to improve their writing). i feel like all three letters i have speak pretty damn well of me as a potential teacher but bc i'll have an intern credential, i'm still bottom of the pile. hoping the letters bump me up bc i can clearly teach and i know how to run a classroom reasonably well, even though long term and short term classroom management are very different creatures.
“Call me sentimental, but there’s no-one in the world that I’d like to see get dysentery more than you.” — David Nicholls (One Day)

Al Qədic

• Nonexistent Amphibian Who Is Not Very
  • Outlandish
  • I don't exist yet. But I might one day. We'll see.
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: Today at 04:53:41 am »
Obligatory "whee 5/23 fnord fnord newm'rologee".  :lulz:

Scholarly bureaucracy has put me in a slump, for better and worse: on one hand, I have to crank out writings and reading about a topic that, even though it would normally be interesting to dive into, is being presented painfully dumb and pessimistically (seriously, how can digital privacy feel so trite and repetitive?). On the other hand, my mother is excited about her loving daughter, and my procrastination-for-the-sake-of-sanity has allowed me to really enjoy an update to one of my favorite mobile games, and a charity livestream that happened a few weeks back.

I also learned that one of my high school teachers (barely interacted with him on a teacher to student level, but interned in his classroom for a bit in junior year, and he seemed like a nice guy) got arrested for...well, this is a high school we're talking about, you can guess. :horrormirth:

Life is fucked and so am I. Just a few more weeks to go in the quarter, though.
O, the Frog fell down to Tehran.
To fix the broken hourglass in the sun.
From the gates, to the city, to the market so pretty,
They'd not leave until they were done.

Said the Goddess to the Frog,
"You'd best be moving along."
So sayeth the water, the words of Anahita,
But the Frog just made themselves a bog.

And lo, they said:

"May I have your shoes, miss?
O great Water Goddess,
I've a journey that I need to start."
She responded from her knowing, wise heart.

With this, said the Goddess,
"Go now, take these shoes with."
And covered their webbed feet with glee.
"You'll do good not to disappoint me."

Thank you for completing the free trial. To view the rest of this poem, nag me about it...I might not respond by giving you the rest of it, but when has that ever stopped you?

Juana

• Hideous and Otherworldly Attack Duckling of DESPAIR
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: Today at 04:57:35 pm »
I also learned that one of my high school teachers (barely interacted with him on a teacher to student level, but interned in his classroom for a bit in junior year, and he seemed like a nice guy) got arrested for...well, this is a high school we're talking about, you can guess. :horrormirth:
yeah, my freshman health teacher, who i liked, got arrested for banging students - in his classroom no less. i wanna fight adults who do that to kids.
“Call me sentimental, but there’s no-one in the world that I’d like to see get dysentery more than you.” — David Nicholls (One Day)