News:

What the fuck is a homonym?  It's something that sounds gay.

Main Menu

On This Day in History

Started by Brother Mythos, December 09, 2023, 11:09:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother Mythos

January 17, 1920 - The National Prohibition Act (Volstead Act) Went Into Effect

The National Prohibition Act was passed to enforce the Eighteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution. The Eighteenth Amendment had been ratified the previous year.

This act was a major factor in inciting some of the the rebellious "roar" of the Roaring Twenties, and unintentionally made numerous organized crime figures wealthy, powerful, and, in some cases, legends in their own time. It has also, again unintentionally, provided the entertainment industry with both source, and inspirational material for more than a century and counting.
Discordianism is fundamentally mischievous irreverence.

Brother Mythos

January 29, 2017 - Kellyanne Conway Disclosed the Bowling Green Massacre

The Senior Counselor to the President (TFG) told the world that, "two Iraqi nationals came to this country, joined ISIS, traveled back to the Middle East to get trained and refine their terrorism skills, and come back here, and were the masterminds behind the Bowling Green massacre of taking innocent soldiers' lives away."

Until this disclosure, the horrors of the Bowling Green Massacre were totally unknown outside of the top secret confines of the United States Intelligence Community (IC), and the White House.

Brother Mythos

February 3, 1959 - The Day the Music Died

Rock 'n' Roll artists Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and "The Big Bopper" J. P. Richardson, along with their pilot, were killed in a plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa.

Singer/songwriter Don McLean later immortalized this day in his song "American Pie."

Brother Mythos

February 4, 1818 - Discordian Saint Second Class Joshua Abraham Norton's Birthday

Our inspirational St. Norton declared himself to be the First Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico in 1859. And, The POEE HEAD TEMPLE is the Joshua Norton Cabal of The Discordian Society.

Brother Mythos

February 6, 1748 - Johann Adam Weishaupt's Birthday

Known among his devoted followers as Brother Spartacus, this true giant among men reformed the Ancient Illuminated Seers of Bavaria (A.I.S.B.), the world's oldest and most successful conspiracy, in Ingolstadt, Electorate of Bavaria, in 1776.

ein Gefrorener Würfel

He was an University Professor in Ingolstadt, but they fired him because he argued multiple times, that the university library should have the book Dictionnaire Historique et Critique. Which was deemed "ungodly" by the rector "Order to the University of Ingolstadt to preserve the pure Catholic faith".

Brother Mythos

February 15, 1946 - ENIAC, the 1st Digital Computer, Was Dedicated at the University of Pennsylvania

The Electronic Numerical Integrator and Computer was the first programmable, electronic, general-purpose digital computer. Other computers had combinations of these features, but the ENIAC had all of them in one computer.

ENIAC was huge, taking up a 1,500-square-foot room. It was made up of 40 panels arranged in a U-shape along three of the room's walls. Along with the panels, which were each 8 feet high, 2 feet wide, and 2 feet deep, the machine included 70,000 resistors, 17,000 vacuum tubes, 10,000 capacitors, 1,500 relays, and 6,000 switches. ENIAC ran constantly to extend the life of its vacuum tubes, and it generated large amounts of heat. The room had to have its own air conditioning system to keep the computer from overheating.

Brother Mythos

February 19, 2009 - The Tea Party Movement Was Launched

This astroturfed movement, financed by David Kock, was launched in protest of the election of Barack Hussein Obama II, the first African-American president of the United States of America.

Starting out as a fashionable, publicly acceptable version of the openly racist KKK, the Tea Party has since morphed into the redneck, openly authoritarian and racist MAGA movement. That's progress for you.

Brother Mythos

March 1, 1969 - Jim Morrison Allegedly Whipped It Out On Stage

There is no photographic evidence to prove this alleged event, and Jim Morrison's band mates and road manager have claimed that it never happened. Nevertheless, I, and every single one of my rocker friends, immediately believed it to be true. We never questioned the validity of the MSM reports.

I believe this singular, alleged event not only confirmed Jim Morrison to be A Legend In His Own Time, it was, in fact, the final, definitive exploit in his undisputed ascension to Rock Godhood.

Brother Mythos

March 2, 1785 - The Electorate of Bavaria Banned Secret Societies

It was then that The Ancient Illuminated Seers of Bavaria (A.I.S.B.), the World's Oldest and Most Successful Conspiracy, went underground, and became even more powerful.

It has been theorized that The Ancient Illuminated Seers of Bavaria (A.I.S.B.) themselves utilized their considerable influence to actualize the banning of all secret societies. Thus, their banning was just one more element in their ingenious, successful plot to dismantle the Holy Roman Empire.

Brother Mythos

March 5, 1951 - "Rocket 88" Was the First Recorded Rock and Roll Song

There is uncertainty about the exact date this song was recorded. It may have been recorded on either Saturday, March 3rd, or on Monday, March 5th. I have chosen to go with the latter date, as it makes more sense to me for professional musicians to be performing before paying audiences on Saturday nights, and having Mondays available to do recording sessions.

And, of course, not everyone agrees that "Rocket 88" was the first rock 'n' roll song ever recorded. But, if it wasn't, then what was?

I also find it interesting that the much maligned Ike Turner received partial credit for composing this song. And, to me, it's not the least bit surprising that a disreputable person was deeply involved in the creation of rock 'n' roll.

Brother Mythos

March 17, 1967 - "Purple Haze" Was Released by the Jimi Hendrix Experience

We were blown away when we first heard this song, way back in the day. We all thought it was about a psychedelic drug trip. But, Jimi Hendrix himself is claimed to have said that the idea for the song came to him in a dream.

In any case, I believe the release of "Purple Haze" marked the ascension of Jimi Hendrix to Rock Godhood.