News:

Oceana has always been at war with Iraq

Main Menu

The Rainbow Dis-Connection

Started by AFK, July 27, 2007, 06:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

I sometimes wonder...

...if the more connected we get, the more disconnected we get.  Since the late 80's early 90's the technology revolution has been wiring our society.  At the same time, in many facets of society, it is rewiring as well.

It used to be that if you wanted to have a chat with your buddy, you might call him up on your telephone or stop by for a visit.  Now, you can pick up a little device and forgo the face to face altogether. 

No doubt, it has expanded social circle possibilities.  The fact that we are all here talking to each other is testament to that.  However, what about our immediate and local social circles?  What about going out into the community to conduct business vs. sitting at your desk to conduct that business?  Instead of going to the local hardware store to buy some household needs, you can fire up HomeDepot.com and have it sent directly to you.  Convenience, yes.  But, no witty banter or conversatoin with a sales clerk. 

As we explore more of our world from the confines of our bedrooms, basements, etc., are we isolating ourselves more from that which is outside of our door?  Are we slowly phasing out that face to face, flesh to flesh, voice to voice portion of humanity?  Are we distilling the wonders of what we wonder about?  Are we forgoing the town hall meetings in favor of civics via YouTube?

I don't know the answers to these questions.  I have suspicions from my experience.  I just wonder, as times go on, and more and more of us inhabit this Earth, if we will along the way forget how to really deal with each other. 

Or, if we are just going to find comfort and commradery in computerized confidants. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

B_M_W

I believe that anthropologists reffer this as a sort of alienation of people due to expantion of society and culture.

A possible solution that was posed is permaculture.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Iron Sulfide

i get out and about all the time.

i even try to be nice and amicable. usually i succeed.

the last thing i purchased online was ....almost a year ago.
it was a book i couldn't find anywhere. but i looked for it, first.

but yes, i do see this taking place. though i'm nice to people,
they seem increasingly hostile for no apparent reason. i'm not
dressed like some hippy, or counter-culture asshat, or anything.
i'll sit at the coffee shop, enveloped by 5-10 people, and listen to each
of them talking to someone on their cell phones- that's all they do.
to shoot a smile is to receive a sneer.

or text.

average, i'll spend an hour or two in the AM online, and maybe check my email
when i get home at night. maybe it's more than just the technologizing..
Ya' stupid Yank.

AFK

by the way, anyone who gets the reference in the title gets bonus points.  And most likely is at least 30 years of age.   :wink:

Darth Cupcake

Ooohhh, cultural anthropology. I love this shit. 8)

Yes, I do see that happening.

I also see an equal and opposite reaction, though--people who see what's going on and are trying to avoid it.

I love striking up conversations with sales people. I love chatting with random strangers, in an environment where I feel comfortable doing it.

I know people who restrict their computer time in order to encourage themselves to do other things. I know I try to keep my internet browsing to mostly just at work. When I'm at home, I want to spend my time doing other things.

It's true that people are becoming increasingly wired and subsequently more alone. But a lot of people realize it, and make a conscious decision to avoid it.

Of course, there's also some people who are just antisocial hermits and do it on purpose.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

B_M_W

On the other hand I feel that as I become more immersed in this community online, I move towards creating a permaculture, as I am buliding relationships that easily can carry over into IRL.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Triple Zero

i posted a link related to this a while ago. i searched the links thread but i think it's not in there, probably a loose thread in the apple talk forum cause i wanted you guys opinion on it, but now it got buried :) i think it mentioned "twitter", the latest web2.0 "sensation".

what is a permaculture?

also, i wouldn't know *any* of you guys if it weren't for the net.

but, i totally understand what D-Cup is saying, i took "2 days off" from the forums here, okay but not from my computer (fuck i'm an addict) but it's different if you hang on an IRC channel with some friends you are going to see in a few hours.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

I think it is better that people connect via the internet, in many ways.  It allows for making connections based on interests and personality, not on factors like place of birth, distance and expense.

As for aloneness, I find that isn't much of a factor.  People who use social networking sites (ie Myspace, Facebook) often use those to organize events much more easily, with their entire group of friends knowing, than could be done before.  The fact is I know pretty much where every party is going down in every single place I have ever had a friend.  I'll know people they know, and I'll have a total blast of a time.

BumWurst

You mean, we now have a hugely increased number of channels through which we continue to fail to communicate...  :eek:

"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it."

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on July 27, 2007, 06:55:44 PM
by the way, anyone who gets the reference in the title gets bonus points.  And most likely is at least 30 years of age.   :wink:
....someday we'll find it....

burns,
came for the bonus points.  :D

something does come to mind though.  i was talking to my trainer this evening (foodservice, server) and we were talking about how when we approach guests there is often a script-like quality that we have to follow to make sure we touch on all of the major specials and features our restaurant has to offer.  this rather corporate approach really disconnects us from our interaction with our guests. so the solution seems to be to scrap the script and just go back to being normal and we get better tips.  so this kind of thing makes me wonder if our technological isolation pours over into all aspects of our lives manifesting in a sort of akward social anxiety.  or maybe it's always been like this...but then i look at my 75+ year old father-in-law and see how casual and warm he is and think again.

starbucks has this bit where they expect their employees to be "Legendary™" (legendary service, drinks, etc).  its almost like they feel as if they have to TRAIN their employees to be normal again.

course, my father-in-law is legendary 24/7  8)

guest7654

Rainbows are visions, but only illusions
nice lyics...
btw,
Why did teh gays have to take over rainbows.  Fuck that shit, I'm reclaiming rainbows.  I'm bringing them back.    *puts a big gay rainbow on his back*

AFK

Burns get's the bonus points.

That was my favorite song as a kid.  I wonder if Henson wrote it.  That dude got it.