News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

THE PROPITIATION OF ST GULIK

Started by 1Yacatismic1, August 07, 2007, 06:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B_M_W

I just know that from that experience, I neither have any want or need to smoke the substance, less I too become an anoying moron in the process, nor do I want to be around people who are in the process of smoking it.

In other words, do whatever you want, but don't expect me to stick around.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Buddhist_Monk_Wannabe on August 24, 2007, 10:11:53 PM
I just know that from that experience, I neither have any want or need to smoke the substance, less I too become an anoying moron in the process, nor do I want to be around people who are in the process of smoking it.

Well you got the annoying part anyway ;-)

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

That's fine.

Do expect me to mock you should you ever want to discuss stereotypes around here, however.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mangrove

Maybe the girl was suffering from inflated expectation. I've seen people smoke regular tobacco but appear stoned because they'd been lead to believe they had real weed.

I know this because a friend and me played this prank on someone we didn't especially like and thus did not feel inclined to waste our stash on.

Teenagers are cruel.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Mangrove on August 24, 2007, 11:25:25 PM
Maybe the girl was suffering from inflated expectation. I've seen people smoke regular tobacco but appear stoned because they'd been lead to believe they had real weed.

I know this because a friend and me played this prank on someone we didn't especially like and thus did not feel inclined to waste our stash on.

Teenagers are cruel.

This may very well explain it. Some effects of Marijuana appear to be closely related with the psychological state and expectations of the individual. A Placebo effect almost...

Cain

That was pretty judgemental.  Hell, I don't do any drugs, except alcohol and caffeine, and even they are in moderation.  If people want to ingest substances that may or may not make them act like idiots, what issue is it of mine?  Unless they are operating a vehicle/heavy machinery/position of responsibility that requires clarity and fast responses (in which case they equally would not be drinking alcohol), I fail to see what it has to do with me.

All it means is I can remember what I was laughing at in the morning, as well as make fun of people "recovering".

Mangrove

Cain - other than caffeine, I am drug-free also, for pretty much the same reason.

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I am not drug free... but since I don't drink much I usually remember what I was laughing at.

The Littlest Ubermensch

DRUGS ARE BAD. THEY WILL MAKE YOU STUPID. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FACT THAT DUMBASSES ARE STILL DUMBASSES WHEN HIGH. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

You may now go back to your regularly scheduled thinking.

(Note: I'm not a big fan of many drugs (mostly benzos, opiates, and other downers), but there's nothing wrong with a mostly rational human being enjoying being sleepy and unmotivated for a little while. Nobody gets hurt from it, and it doesn't prevent a person from continuing being a smart person.)
[witticism/philosophical insight/nifty quote to prove my intelligence to the forum]

LISTEN TO MY SHOW THURSDAY 5-7 EST

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE

Pope Lecherous

I know you have met people, usually young ones, where in a social setting drink a few beers and act like they are wasted.  This shit happens all the time when motherfuckers want to fit in or have a good time, or maybe they think it's cool.  Whatever the reason, is it possible the intellectual woman just wanted to be an ass, using the "weed" and her "highness" and excuse?
--- War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Buddhist_Monk_Wannabe on August 24, 2007, 09:16:53 PM
Thats actually what I meant. A person can drink a beer and not have any anoying effects. One hit from a joint however, and this girls intelligence dropped below IQ 80. I don't really care what other people do, and the part about the legality of it was a joke. Just know that if you ever toke up around me don't expect me to stick around or come back, because I can't stand an annoying fool.

see, that's the thing. i usually judge on behaviour of an actual person, taking into account the kind of drugs they may or may not have had.

for example, i know you were sober when you typed the above. if we were to hang out IRL and you were going to act like that every time, i might reconsider, or at least see if a few beers might lighten you up.

i know of my friends kind of what happens when they drink, drink too much, smoke, smoke and drink, etc. if they consistently act like fools or assholes while in such a state, and keep actively searching for that state (even when i suggest "maybe you had enough, cause you become an asshole if you drink like that"), i might break the contact.

personally, i think i may have hit it real lucky with the group of friends i go out with and their substance abuse. there's just one guy who has a problem with alcohol and he just enters into a kinda zombie-mode half-sleep state, which we either have a little fun with (he won't remember) or just make sure he gets home safely. it's not a big deal, he knows his problem and tries to avoid it, usually.
but when digging for these examples, what strikes me is that there are other factors which seem so much more important. my flatmate and a mutual friend of us, both really cool guys. he comes over here, drink and/or smoke a little, and then they play video games all night. sometimes other people come over, i'm there too, we're hanging around having fun and those two still keep playing videogames. i could say (and my other friends would be inclined to agree) that i've seen videogames turn people into anti-social assholes.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: triple zero on August 25, 2007, 11:56:26 AM
Quote from: Buddhist_Monk_Wannabe on August 24, 2007, 09:16:53 PM
Thats actually what I meant. A person can drink a beer and not have any anoying effects. One hit from a joint however, and this girls intelligence dropped below IQ 80. I don't really care what other people do, and the part about the legality of it was a joke. Just know that if you ever toke up around me don't expect me to stick around or come back, because I can't stand an annoying fool.

see, that's the thing. i usually judge on behaviour of an actual person, taking into account the kind of drugs they may or may not have had.

for example, i know you were sober when you typed the above. if we were to hang out IRL and you were going to act like that every time, i might reconsider, or at least see if a few beers might lighten you up.

i know of my friends kind of what happens when they drink, drink too much, smoke, smoke and drink, etc. if they consistently act like fools or assholes while in such a state, and keep actively searching for that state (even when i suggest "maybe you had enough, cause you become an asshole if you drink like that"), i might break the contact.

personally, i think i may have hit it real lucky with the group of friends i go out with and their substance abuse. there's just one guy who has a problem with alcohol and he just enters into a kinda zombie-mode half-sleep state, which we either have a little fun with (he won't remember) or just make sure he gets home safely. it's not a big deal, he knows his problem and tries to avoid it, usually.
but when digging for these examples, what strikes me is that there are other factors which seem so much more important. my flatmate and a mutual friend of us, both really cool guys. he comes over here, drink and/or smoke a little, and then they play video games all night. sometimes other people come over, i'm there too, we're hanging around having fun and those two still keep playing videogames. i could say (and my other friends would be inclined to agree) that i've seen videogames turn people into anti-social assholes.

Triple Zero Lays out some TROOF, ITT!

Darth Cupcake

Mang/Cain -- correctness of the motorcycle.

I know what substances have what effects on me, so I stay away from things that will have effects on me that I don't like, or regulate them carefully. (At least, I try to. I'd be lying if I said I have this perfected. I'm still awfully young to have ANYTHING figured yet!) Most people I know do the same, but not everyone does. Those that can't take themselves into consideration are not necessarily people I want to be around when they are using substances.

And oh my god is it true that videogames turn people in anti social assholes!

-DC
Has lost boyfriends to videogames :? Sometimes drugs seem almost preferrable!
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

LMNO

Quote from: Ratatosk on August 24, 2007, 09:58:38 PM
I've never met a mean stoner...

You obviously have never been to a hardcore show in Baltimore, then.

AFK

Since I feel partially responsible for the way this thread turned I'd like to throw in another 2 cents. 

There was a comment a couple of pages back about me wanting to "get rid of marijuana" or something like that. 

In my profession, we are currently taking an environmental approach to substance abuse.  We don't focus on the substances.  Our goal is not prohibition, to eliminate drugs.  The "War on Drugs" is a federal government thing.  Sure, the State throws in symbolically, but really when you get down to it, we are about treating people. 

Those who are addicted and who engage in risky, antisocial behavior, have issues.  And they were issues that existed before the drugs.  Indeed, for many the drugs are the coping mechanism.  Except, it really doesn't help them cope, it simply postpones their pain.  It's interesting, in this regard I find I can interject a lot of BIP ideas without the terminology into our discussions.  Because that kind of philosophy lends itself to this environmental approach to treating drug addicts.

There are those in my field who are hell-bent at attacking the issues from the supply end.  But most of us think that is pretty much this:   :argh!:

If you can't help the individual, they are going to keep using the drugs.  But this isn't the occassional toker or drinker that I'm talking about.  It's the hardcore who smoke weed like they are cigarettes, drink vodka like it's water, and pop pills like they're tylenol. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.