News:

TESTEMONAIL:  Right and Discordianism allows room for personal interpretation. You have your theories and I have mine. Unlike Christianity, Discordia allows room for ideas and opinions, and mine is well-informed and based on ancient philosophy and theology, so, my neo-Discordian friends, open your minds to my interpretation and I will open my mind to yours. That's fair enough, right? Just claiming to be discordian should mean that your mind is open and willing to learn and share ideas. You guys are fucking bashing me and your laughing at my theologies and my friends know what's up and are laughing at you and honestly this is my last shot at putting a label on my belief structure and your making me lose all hope of ever finding a ideological group I can relate to because you don't even know what the fuck I'm talking about and everything I have said is based on the founding principals of real Discordianism. Expand your mind.

Main Menu

Apologetics--What a Crock of SHIT

Started by LMNO, August 15, 2007, 03:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: Poster To Be Named Later
I've come to realize that I've studied in the art of apologetics and that I've been a great, big follower of such movements as "keeping the peace" and "taking one for the team."  But when it comes to groupthink, this notion is so flawed it smells of raw, stewing sewage.

You can NOT look at a movement like Discordia, Erisianism or the Subgenius Religion and expect to get comfortable with it.  And if you are, you're doing it wrong.  They're all designed to make you sit up and take notice of where the fuck you are and what the fuck you are doing.  And if it don't look right, you're expected to fix it.  Yeah, YOU, FIX IT!

So, when some asshole comes in and whines about all this chaos and how he just wants his life back where his fluffy ass was hopping along so nicely, well, he needs to be told to SHUTTHEFUCKUP and listen already!  It's not just the patience and the learning of the thing--it's the understanding, the gut-feeling, the reaching into your inner foul stench and bleaching the whole anus.

Don't expect me, ever, to be a "hand across the divide," again.  It don't work.  It won't work.  And only the foolish ever try.  NO ONE LIKES TO BE SCAMMED.  Go with the horrible tr00f--it may catch you some blowback, but in the end, it's worth it.

Cuz spending your time spreading doves only wastes energy.  Instead, give an analysis of the poo that oozes, and show them how YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO EAT IT, DUMBASS.  Just accept it's there and do what comes naturally afterwards.

Which would you rather be known for, anyway?  Those who put the tree-scented freshener on the rear-view mirror of the shit-filled car?

Or the driver of said car?  Who is driving car?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

The beautiful words of Erisian Inspiration!
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cramulus

interesting rant. Some context would be helpful in commentary though.

And what Discordians want their fluffy-ass lives back? Discord isn't about comfort! MAYBE its about finding serenity in cacophony, but I always thought Discordans prized restlessness over complacency.

It's like Taoists say - once you find the path, you'll always be on the path. Discord's the same way. Over the last decade I've embraced a number of different versions and incarnations of Discordia. I've found myself so far estranged and displaced from the norm that the norm looks crazy to me. But I don't want to go back, no matter how STUPID all of this is.  :p

Hail yes.

That One Guy

That's a fun rant  :mrgreen:

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on August 15, 2007, 03:31:58 PM
And what Discordians want their fluffy-ass lives back? Discord isn't about comfort! MAYBE its about finding serenity in cacophony, but I always thought Discordans prized restlessness over complacency.

I'd certainly agree with that, although this seems like the real difference between "Discordian" and "Erisian" subdivides - while the Discordian prizes restlessness and direct action, the Erisian prizes the serenity in cacophony and indirect action. Both manipulate their environments via the "central path" of chaos insertion/deletion/awareness, but it's the approach and accompanying philosophical outlook that sets the two camps apart.

Not that there's any kind of noticeable factioning or anything (they're complimentary halves of the same Discordian coin IMO), but there's definitely distinct differences in approach between the two styles. I've been trying to hammer those differences for a while and that line from Prof really shed some light on summing up the basic distinction I've been trying to express for a long time. Good stuff!

Regarding the rant, you can't unsee this stuff. Once you've opened your eyes to the surrounding chaos, it's just there, and it always will be. The chaos never left - it was always there and it sticks in everything, no matter what. To think you can "wish it all away" is pointless - you either give up on it completely (and say hi to your inner/outer greyface) or you make it work for you, right here, right now. If other people benefit, cool. If not, well ... they can open their eyes too. If they won't open their eyes, or if they refuse to believe what they see, then they deserve what they get from those people that DO manipulate the chaos to their advantage.
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.

Discord

The rants great, although i have to read it a couple of times until i will really understand it.

Quote from: That One Guy on August 15, 2007, 04:38:28 PM
I'd certainly agree with that, although this seems like the real difference between "Discordian" and "Erisian" subdivides

I've never known there was even a real "discordian" or "erisian" whatever, you might want to call it religion.

The only thing I've ever noticed on all this "discordian"boards that all the guys posting there seems to have in common: They are not satisfied with their worldview. They want to have a look at the things behind they are all scratching the surface.

So when you talk about the diffrence of discordian and erisian ways, is that your own experience, or something commonly agreed on?

LMNO

There isn't.

We've noticed at least two very broad flavors on this board; some take direct physical action, some do more intellectual mindfuckery, most are a combination of both.

Just like we started calling the "OMGWTF23PINEAL23LOL!" posters "Pinealists", we stared referring to the more physical types "Discordian" and the more mental types "Erisian".

But, like everything else, they say little about the person, and mean even less.

Pope Lecherous

Quote from: LMNO on August 16, 2007, 01:40:17 PM
...we stared referring to the more physical types "Discordian" and the more mental types "Erisian".

LMNO... What about a person that plays with people?  Not even as far as a mindfuck is concerned, but just to see what you can make people do/feel/think/see?  Some people would call me an asshole, but... what do you think?
--- War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

LMNO

Quote from: Pope Lecherous on August 22, 2007, 06:25:09 PM
Some people would call me an asshole, but... what do you think?

Naw, I think you nailed it.

That One Guy

Regardless of approach or label, we ALL play with people to see what we can get them to do etc. At least, everyone here does as far as I've been able to tell. Some of us do it via direct-action (what I would label "Discordian") and some of us do it via indirect action (what I would label "Erisian"). Regardless of the HOW, we're all doing the WHAT.

It's essentially a meaningless label for a person, since only using one style of interaction will not be as effective as using either depending on the situation. I tend to be more of the "erisian" mindset, however I am willing and able to employ direct action when I feel the situation calls for it. The "Erisian" and "Discordian" labels are really just a shorthand for me to use when I don't want to type out all the specifics of something or categorize a general approach.

That being said, I tend to think of myself as an "Erisian" due to my most common approaches and methods. Does that mean that I never use the direct action methodology? Hardly. As with all labels, it's just a quick way to convey a large quantity of general info and only becomes dangerous when you ignore the fact that the label is a generalization that does NOT include all instances or all aspects of what it is being used to describe.
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.

LMNO

I usually call myself Erisian simply because all Discordians are complete fagbaskets.

That One Guy

Payne

Erisians are of course Ass Polyps. Or Ex- Meatspinners.

LMNO

Pope Lecherous

That's cool That One Guy.  As for labels, i've been given a few labels so i know where you're comin from, but as the Poster To Be Named Later, I drive car.  Being a Discordian is kinda lonely sometimes, but i realized i have felt different all my life, i just haven't have been able to determine a reason.  I have been Discordian from since i gained consciousness i realized.  I realized i gained consciousness when i realized i was not quite like my peers.  But maybe that's just me wishing i was special.
--- War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

East Coast Hustle

writing all of your posts in boldfaced type will not make you special any sooner.

just saying.

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"