News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

ITT: Call It Now, Be Right Later

Started by Cramulus, August 20, 2007, 02:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam

i predict i will have a hand knitted scarf within a year

Triple Zero

i predict a lot of weird shit will happen either way,

hadron collider or not.

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on August 20, 2007, 04:39:00 PM
I think one day we'll see a web 2.0 style video game - where the game is populated with user generated content. Think myspace, but instead of making a page with info about you, you build and customize levels for your friends to explore. If this can get you laid somehow, it'll be an overnight hit.

this is a great idea.

do you have any idea how much cash you can make with even a badly made online game ;-)

(flatmates of my brother sure did, and boy was it ugly)

QuoteNew genres of games will eventually emerge which make use of portable systems equipped with GPS and VoIP. Games in which you have to go physically explore the world in order to play. ((Metal Gear Portable Ops for the PS3 already has something like this - the quickest way to recruit NPCs for your team is to actually wander around your neighborhood and connect to other people's wireless networks. You have a better chance of doing this if you can get closer to the signal))

not quite like this, but my new phone already has a game like this, it's rather brilliant:

it uses the camera, during the game you'll see your room (or surroundings) "through" the screen on the phone (which is rather large on the Vario2), only it's made blue and it wobbles slightly.
the game detects whether the image shifts left right up or down, so it has a vague idea of how you hold the phone and which way you move it.
what you see, is orange FISH swimming through your room. what you must do, is move the phone around (the fish will appear to move like they're really in the room) and get the fish inside the crosshair in the middle and then click the button.
it's a very simple game. but still brilliant :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cramulus

D&D 4th Edition by 2009.

Haw

I was just informed that at GenCon this weekend, they made the announcement:

the D&D 4th Edition Player's Handbook will be released May 2008

see here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/welcome&dcmp=ILC-DND062006FP

AFK

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on August 20, 2007, 08:17:20 PM
D&D 4th Edition by 2009.

Haw

And there was a joyous hurrah!  Except, soundwaves don't travel well through concrete and earth. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Payne

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on August 20, 2007, 08:20:49 PM
D&D 4th Edition by 2009.

Haw

And there was a joyous hurrah!  Except, soundwaves don't travel well through concrete and earth. 

They do travel faster though...

LMNO

Faster than in air, certainly.

Triple Zero

i hear they travel fastest if you encode them into a truckload of DVDs, transport them over the roads and reproduce them at the place of destination.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

B_M_W

D&D 4th Edition by 2009.

Haw

Ugh. And the point of this is? I thought they perfected the rules with 3.5.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Buddhist_Monk_Wannabe on August 20, 2007, 09:40:20 PM
D&D 4th Edition by 2009.

Haw

This is not about the rules.

This is about making money!
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

B_M_W

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on August 20, 2007, 09:41:15 PM
D&D 4th Edition by 2009.

Haw

This is not about the rules.

This is about making money!

I'll stick to the 3.5 then. No use changing what isn't broke.

The most interesting thing they have come out with recently is that Tome of Magic. I drooled over the pact and true name sections. That, and Incarnum.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

Cramulus

D&D 4th Edition by 2009.

Haw

Yeah I thought so too.

Apparently they're still going to be using the d20 system. From what I read they're making a push to simplify the rules further. Some of the things they've mentioned:
-grappling simplified
-rogues won't be useless against undead, elementals, plants, etc
-fighters have more options
-casters don't run out of spells

they're unleashing some sort of online component too - a virtual gaming table kind of thing where you can talk over VoIP while everyone's looking at the same table and moving around pieces on it.

At the end of one of the presentations, the R&D guys got booed. But I think that would happen even if the new edition was handed to them on stone tablets from Gary Gygax himself. *snicker*

Jury is out until there's more info.

Triple Zero

grappling simplified would be a good thing.

i can remember the running gag of every time some of us would grapple, the DM would get the rulebook and go "huzzmememehuz make an opposed blahblablabla check .. *groan* YOU AND YOUR OPONENT ARE NOW GRAPPLING"

B_M_W

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on August 20, 2007, 09:50:39 PM
D&D 4th Edition by 2009.

Haw

Yeah I thought so too.

Apparently they're still going to be using the d20 system. From what I read they're making a push to simplify the rules further. Some of the things they've mentioned:
-grappling simplified
-rogues won't be useless against undead, elementals, plants, etc
-fighters have more options
-casters don't run out of spells

they're unleashing some sort of online component too - a virtual gaming table kind of thing where you can talk over VoIP while everyone's looking at the same table and moving around pieces on it.

At the end of one of the presentations, the R&D guys got booed. But I think that would happen even if the new edition was handed to them on stone tablets from Gary Gygax himself. *snicker*

Jury is out until there's more info.

1. Grapling is simple enough

2. Rogues shouldn't be able to sneak attack stuff that doesn't have dicernable anatomy.

3.Fighters already have more than enough options (bonus feats, anyone?)

4. Casters not running out of spells makes them too powerful.

Cramulus

debatable

------

I predict Paul Reubens (Pee Wee) cashing in on the Nostalgia money I mentioned earlier.

And on that note, I'd guess that there's going to be a Thundercats movie eventually. Thundercats wasn't a cash cow like Tranformers was, but as a nostalgia market it has quite a bit of staying power.

I'm also calling another lunatic fringe religion emerging in the coming years.
If I had to take a stab at it... I'm almost certain that internet worship will become a 'valid' religious choice as the information age continues to unfold.

Rev. Uncle BadTouch's book is almost finished, and I bet that will eventually bring some new blood into Discordia.

Alternate Reality Games will grow as a means of marketing.

Get ready for Stephen Hawking to be posthumously deified.

After they totally burn out (again), the Olsen Twins will try to pursue serious acting careers.

Someone's gonna punch Geraldo Riveria in the face. Well I don't think that's actually going to happen, but my fingers are crossed.

That One Guy

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on August 20, 2007, 11:28:08 PM
And on that note, I'd guess that there's going to be a Thundercats movie eventually. Thundercats wasn't a cash cow like Tranformers was, but as a nostalgia market it has quite a bit of staying power.

:eek:

O M G

Prof R teh Sykick!!1!!!
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.