ITT: Call It Now, Be Right Later

Started by Cramulus, August 20, 2007, 02:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

emo puns are unfunny, just sayin. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Lies

Fine, allow me to get all Zen on you then:
I may pick up a stone, and let it go, and it will hit the floor, and I can keep doing this to prove to myself that every time I let the stone go, that it's guaranteed to hit the floor.
But what happens if there comes a day where the rock falls into the air?

Emo version still as unfunny? :P
- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

Triple Zero

it depends on what colour air we're talking about here
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

AFK

Quote from: Lysergic on August 22, 2007, 03:49:50 PM
Fine, allow me to get all Zen on you then:
I may pick up a stone, and let it go, and it will hit the floor, and I can keep doing this to prove to myself that every time I let the stone go, that it's guaranteed to hit the floor.
But what happens if there comes a day where the rock falls into the air?

Emo version still as unfunny? :P

yes.  It's the law of puns.  Once unfunny, always unfunny.  There is no saving it. 

Triple Zero

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on August 22, 2007, 04:09:47 PM
yes.  It's the law of puns.  Once unfunny, always unfunny.  There is no saving it. 

this is not true, you know it.

if you repeat an unfunny pun in the correct way it shall become a running gag.

but this is an advanced strategy which must be exercised with care.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

AFK

That's true.  But I think this one is dead. 

Triple Zero

so did you hear the one about the emo space cowboy explorer that tried to settle on a black hole?

AFK

sam

AFK

Cramulus

BABABABUMP

I called it. It's happening right now.
MAN it bugs me when this happens. I could have been profiting off these ideas somehow.

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on August 20, 2007, 04:39:00 PM
I think one day we'll see a web 2.0 style video game - where the game is populated with user generated content. Think myspace, but instead of making a page with info about you, you build and customize levels for your friends to explore. If this can get you laid somehow, it'll be an overnight hit.

I found three of these last night.

The first is called Mockingbird.

http://playmockingbird.com/

It's not very interesting right now, and you need to pay ten bucks to buy the actual level designer tool. I suspect no one will do that, because a competitor will release a similar free version any day now. Basically you can make you own little mini games. They can be puzzle, action, shooter, etc, and you can paste in images of your friends (etc) as the sprites in the game. The WOMP Cabal is intrigued, but isn't gonna pay.

then there's http://www.metaplace.com/
which is in its alpha testing phase. Signups are closed, but it looks a bit more customizable than mockingbird, and a bit more integrated with the actual web. It also has a higher emphasis on social interaction - you can have multiple people in your game at the same time, chatting and cooperating (or competing!)

QuoteWe speak Web fluently. Every world is a web server, and every object has a URL. You can script an object so that it feeds RSS, XML, or HTML to a browser. This lets you do things like high score tables, objects that email you, player profile pages right on the player -- whatever you want. Every object can also browse the Web: a chat bot can chatter headlines from an RSS feed, a newspaper with real headlines can sit on your virtual desk, game data could come from real world data... you get the idea. No more walled garden.

finally there's Storytron at http://www.storytron.com/faq.html

very little information is available right now, but it looks like you'll be able to build worlds for "interactive storytelling". A lack of screenshots is a bit dissapointing, but this merits a bit more investigation.

Suu

Also, you called it on Mass Effect.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Iason Ouabache

I'm going to predict Obama as the next president and Hillary as his VP since no one else has.  And someone will try to assassinate him in 2010.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Jenne

Cram, always ALWAYS seek to find a way to sell an idea if it's good enough and you think it has a niche.  About 15 years ago, my husband wanted to start researching how to make a single medical database for all hospitals to use, and lo and behold, here they are, cropping up.  That could've been his watershed moment all those years ago, instead, it was a brainfart.

*has nothing to predict*

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on May 11, 2008, 04:47:58 PM
I'm going to predict Obama as the next president and Hillary as his VP since no one else has. 

Never.  He'll pick Chuck Hagel.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.