News:

Bigotry is abound, apprently, within these boards.  There is a level of supposed tolerance I will have no part of.  Obviously, it seems to be well-embraced here.  I have finally found something more fucked up than what I'm used to.  Congrats. - Ruby

Main Menu

BMW's Perfect Potato Soup

Started by B_M_W, August 21, 2007, 06:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B_M_W

Quote from: triple zero on August 23, 2007, 07:00:34 PM
ok i'm making this right now.

i hope i got the amounts right :)

how much butter goes in there? i think i used about 60 gram (it's probably too much) too late now :)

i think we're gonna make way too much as well :) maybe invite a third friend :)

Taste to figure out. Its a hands on thing. If in doubt, add less, cook a little, and add some more.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Payne

This is the correct cooking procedure.

~~~Payne: No chef, but sometimes creates outstanding foods using this technique.

B_M_W

Quote from: triple zero on August 23, 2007, 08:37:09 PM
BMW will probably tell me it's not chunky enough

but it was an accident, it was un-chunky before i knew it!

also, it was[/i a good baguette.  :evil:

Actually, I like it rather gruel like, with very small pieces. From looking at the picture I can almost taste it. Damn, I want some now too.

You have the right idea with the bread. Use it for dipping.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

B_M_W

Quote from: Buddhist_Monk_Wannabe on August 23, 2007, 08:53:55 PM
Quote from: triple zero on August 23, 2007, 08:37:09 PM
BMW will probably tell me it's not chunky enough

but it was an accident, it was un-chunky before i knew it!

also, it was[/i a good baguette.  :evil:

Actually, I like it rather gruel like, with very small pieces. From looking at the picture I can almost taste it. Damn, I want some now too.

You have the right idea with the bread. Use it for dipping.

Also, you never said if you liked it or not.

Edit: Missed that you thought it was yummy the first time through. What color it turns out as actually depends alot on how much milk you add. I usually judge how much is right by the color of the soup changing from yellowy to more of a  creame color. thats usually a couple of heaping splashes, depending on the size of the pot.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on August 23, 2007, 08:42:07 PM
LMNO: hit me with it. I don't have a food processor, but I'm pretty certain the chick I'm moving in with in Boston has one.

Making my own baguette would be hell of awesome. 8)

So DC, you and this other chick are gonna 'process' your 'baguette' after you move in?

:lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

B_M_W

I hope DC isn't upset about any of this, or I would start to feel very bad for laughing.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Ratatosk on August 23, 2007, 10:00:57 PM
LMNO: hit me with it. I don't have a food processor, but I'm pretty certain the chick I'm moving in with in Boston has one.

So DC, you and this other chick are gonna 'process' your 'baguette' after you move in?

Oh hell yes. We will "preheat" the "oven" and "mix" the "ingredients" also!
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

Discordian Girls IS The Craziest!
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Triple Zero

Quote from: Buddhist_Monk_Wannabe on August 23, 2007, 08:50:51 PM
Quote from: triple zero on August 23, 2007, 07:00:34 PM
ok i'm making this right now.

i hope i got the amounts right :)

how much butter goes in there? i think i used about 60 gram (it's probably too much) too late now :)

i think we're gonna make way too much as well :) maybe invite a third friend :)

Taste to figure out. Its a hands on thing. If in doubt, add less, cook a little, and add some more.

it was good.

(and next time it will be better, probably with a littlebit less chicken stock)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

B_M_W

Yeah. a pinch is usually enough.

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on August 24, 2007, 12:59:27 AM
Quote from: Ratatosk on August 23, 2007, 10:00:57 PM

Oh hell yes. We will "preheat" the "oven" and "mix" the "ingredients" also!

:oops: I feel dirty just reading this.

Cooking pr0n, ITT

LMNO

Whoops.  forgot to get the recipe.  I gotta set a reminder for myself.

Culinarius Interruptus, ITT.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: LMNO on August 24, 2007, 02:47:31 PM
Whoops.  forgot to get the recipe.  I gotta set a reminder for myself.

Culinarius Interruptus, ITT.

I was wondering about that.

My oven was all preheated and everything :p

If it works out, though, I'm making some of my historically kickass soup with it. This is really exciting, because this soup is one of my favorite foods, but without a really good bread for the "substance," it just isn't nearly as good. You have me all excited, LMNO, don't let me down!

B_M_W

thats the cool thing about this potato soup. its so thick that its enough substance to eat without bread, if you can believe that.

Darth Cupcake

I definitely believe that. Potatoes are awesome like that. I love potatoes!

My soup is with onions and a creamy stock and cheese and it's soooo delicious, but the most delicious part is the bread that's been cooked with it so that it absorbs the flavor. But it needs to be a really high quality baguette, because the hard shell keeps the bread from getting mushy, just makes the crust soft, while the inside stays tasty, but steeped in flavor. It's really fantastic.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Buddhist_Monk_Wannabe on August 24, 2007, 03:19:05 PMthats the cool thing about this potato soup. its so thick that its enough substance to eat without bread, if you can believe that.

this is definitely true.

i had about 2.5 plates of the stuff and a few chunks of bread and i was *stuffed*
(but then again, i'm not known and noted for my insatiable appetite or ever-expanding stomach)

i kinda knew i wouldn't really need bread, but it's kinda that bread is "supposed" to go with soup. otherwise you're just spooning down a plate of soup. but even when it's just plain and simple soup, food should have multiple possibilities to interact with it:
tear off bread, dip in the soup, eat, have another spoonful, eat, etc >>>>> spoon spoon spoon spoon spoon

next time i think i'm gonna add a few rings of leek (or perhaps spring onion) to the soup, cause i think it needs more green vegetable (must have green vegetable every day, my mum always taught me)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.