News:

Revenge is a dish best served salty, sterile, wet and warm.

Main Menu

BMW's Perfect Potato Soup

Started by B_M_W, August 21, 2007, 06:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B_M_W

Ingredients:

onion

potatoes

butter

milk

pinch of chicken boulion or stock

salt and pepper

Cook peeled and cut potatoes with butter, onion, and boulion in big pot with water just covering until soft. Remove from heat and mash untill all big chunks are little chunks. Return to heat, add milk to thicken, salt and peper to taste.

Nothing more to a good potato soup than that.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Payne

Can I use stock?

All my socks have been used for.... Other things.

Suu

Quote from: Payne on August 21, 2007, 06:26:54 PM
Can I use stock?

:boot:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Triple Zero

if only i read this 15 minutes ago, i would have gotten some potatoes and milk from teh supermarkets..
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

What are your thoughts on using cream instead of milk?

Payne

And some shallots.

Shallots go in EVERYTHING.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Payne on August 21, 2007, 06:57:49 PM
And some shallots.

Extreme accuracy ITT!

It looks freaking delicious, BMW. I shall have to try it soon. Perhaps tonight, even, while the weather out here is still rainy and cold.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

B_M_W

Quote from: Payne on August 21, 2007, 06:26:54 PM
Can I use stock?

:lulz: I didn't catch that.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

B_M_W

Quote from: LMNO on August 21, 2007, 06:52:59 PM
What are your thoughts on using cream instead of milk?

The way I have always done it, and the way my mom does it, is with milk. I'm guessing cream would make things quite a bit thicker. The problem is, I feel like a large part of the flavor is derrived from the starchyness of the potatoes (and is also why it is so filling and warming on a cold day), and a cream of potato soup loses alot of this flavor. Cream of potato soups also tend to have larger chunks of potato than I use, and the starchyness of the mashing plus some pours of milk thickens the broth more than well enough without cream. It looks a bit like gruel when you are done, but it tastes like yum.

Quote from: Payne on August 21, 2007, 06:57:49 PM
And some shallots.

You could use shallots instead of onion or with onion, or some other kind of onion. Its important to stress that this is a cooks recipie, not a chefs recipie. You are gonna make a mess, you are gonna double dip, you are gonna be tasting right out of the pan several thousand times, and there are no exact amounts of ingredients, so you add them to taste. Its the best kind of soup there is, and yes, D_cup, perfect for a cold and rainy day.

Thats actually why I called it "Perfect".

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

You can also use red potatoes for even more YUM factor.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

B_M_W

Quote from: Ratatosk on August 21, 2007, 09:39:37 PM
You can also use red potatoes for even more YUM factor.

Red potatoes have skins. Skins get in the way of the mashing.

I'm serious when I say that the potato pieces should be pea to grape sized.

Triple Zero

ok i'm making this right now.

i hope i got the amounts right :)

how much butter goes in there? i think i used about 60 gram (it's probably too much) too late now :)

i think we're gonna make way too much as well :) maybe invite a third friend :)
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: triple zero on August 23, 2007, 07:00:34 PM

how much butter goes in there? i think i used about 60 gram (it's probably too much) too late now :)

Post results/pics when finished, especially if it's good. And butter is fabulous. It's okay to overdo it a little!

i think we're gonna make way too much as well :) maybe invite a third friend :)

blah blah blah, obligatory pervy joke... :mrgreen:

Triple Zero

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on August 23, 2007, 07:02:53 PM

Post results/pics when finished, especially if it's good. And butter is fabulous. It's okay to overdo it a little!

you're right, in between tastings tell me the butter is especially yummy :-D

i'll make a pic (i shall post it later cause i'm not at home now) but you can probably imagine what it looks like: light yellowish goo, but yummy :)

i'll also make a pic of the fermenting bottle of mead, once we get our makeshift waterlock fitted (ducktape, rubber bands, translucent gardenhose FTW)

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: triple zero on August 23, 2007, 07:24:27 PM
Quote from: Darth Cupcake on August 23, 2007, 07:02:53 PM

you're right, in between tastings tell me the butter is especially yummy :-D

i'll make a pic (i shall post it later cause i'm not at home now) but you can probably imagine what it looks like: light yellowish goo, but yummy :)

i'll also make a pic of the fermenting bottle of mead, once we get our makeshift waterlock fitted (ducktape, rubber bands, translucent gardenhose FTW)

What Trip0 is doing instead of writing his master's thesis ITT :lol: