News:

CAN'T A BROTHER GET A LITTLE PEACE?

Main Menu

An Instrumental Question.

Started by AFK, August 23, 2007, 05:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Can any of you asshats play banjo?
More importantly, can you record yourself playing banjo?
More, more importantly, can you send said recording to me in digital form?

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Most importantly, you couldn't find a recording of Earl Scruggs online?

AFK

Is Earl Scruggs copyleft?

I guess I should be more clear. 

I have an idea for a song, but I need a banjo lick for it to work. 

LMNO

Unless you're planning to sell it or distribute it en mass, you should be OK.

AFK

heh heh, somehow I don't think that will even be a possibility.   :lol:

LMNO

Mangrove

WARNING (for LMNO)

Bela Fleck has recorded an album with Chick Corea.

That's right....banjos and scientology.

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

LMNO

PADDLE FASTER!  I HEAR THETANS!

B_M_W

:lulz:

More seriously now, banjo is one of those instruments that I would love to learn. Its just another non-bowed lute, and for that group I have much love.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Buddhist_Monk_Wannabe on August 23, 2007, 10:11:48 PM

More seriously now, banjo is one of those instruments that I would love to learn. Its just another non-bowed lute, and for that group I have much love.

I learned the basics of banjo as a kid (growing up in SE Ohio does that to ya ;-) )

Mostly it sucked because I was learning guitar at the time and couldn't get over the backwards stringing.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

B_M_W

Quote from: Ratatosk on August 23, 2007, 10:35:14 PM

I learned the basics of banjo as a kid (growing up in SE Ohio does that to ya ;-) )

Mostly it sucked because I was learning guitar at the time and couldn't get over the backwards stringing.

I play classical guitar, so I'm sure I could pick it up without much difficulty.

The hard part is always learning how to apply the notes you play to sheet music, in your head. Once I get that down then its all about technique, and then you can play anything once you master that.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

AFK

There's also the banjo guitar.  Sounds like a banjo, plays like a guitar.  There's also banjo ukes. 

LMNO

It's really easy to fret, because they're usually tuned to a chord.  It's the variety of picking techniques that are tough.  But if you're nimble, it shouldn't be too hard.  There are plenty of DIY interuction books out there.

Speaking of DIY, they sell make-yr-own banjo kits, too. 

Triple Zero

Quote from: Buddhist_Monk_Wannabe on August 23, 2007, 10:11:48 PM:lulz:

i saw a guy owning the fuck out of a lute at Sziget. even after a few days when i was already sick of the traditional-style music that was also played everywhere, this guy managed to really impress me. it also helped that they (2 guys) were wearing a funny (traditional..) hat and bare feet, and when i complimented them with their awesome performance afterwards, they said "learned it from my father and mother"  :D

and he could do this trick with his voice so this really high whistling (but not quite) sound came out. reminded me of something i heard in a few shpongle (or similar) tracks but i always thought it was a kind of flute or something.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

B_M_W

Quote from: triple zero on August 24, 2007, 04:31:32 PM
Quote from: Buddhist_Monk_Wannabe on August 23, 2007, 10:11:48 PM:lulz:

i saw a guy owning the fuck out of a lute at Sziget. even after a few days when i was already sick of the traditional-style music that was also played everywhere, this guy managed to really impress me. it also helped that they (2 guys) were wearing a funny (traditional..) hat and bare feet, and when i complimented them with their awesome performance afterwards, they said "learned it from my father and mother"  :D

and he could do this trick with his voice so this really high whistling (but not quite) sound came out. reminded me of something i heard in a few shpongle (or similar) tracks but i always thought it was a kind of flute or something.

Lute would be another cool instrument to learn, albeit the high number of strings scares me a little. When I say lute, I mean the group of stringed instruments which are played on a fretboard changing the played length and thus tone of the string. This is as opposed to the other large group of stringed instruments, the zithers, which have strings that are always played open. Examples are pianoforte, hammered dulcimer, and harp.