News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

Suu's Thread-Jack

Started by Suu, August 27, 2007, 05:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter s.durden

Suu, I'll respect you more if you use authentic mercury-based cosmetics like they did back in the day.
This space for rent.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Fucking Stormer!
RAH!

those are awesome! the elizabethan stuff is truly outrageous though. (that's right, i said it)
i have yet to make any kind of costume. i've only taken others and made them into something that should not exist.

but most of my crap is just weirdo "goth".. i guess, shit.

hard to get pics of me that aren't blurry though.
i do not stand still for anything.

Suu

They washed their face with mercury, actually. It was like a chemical peel that got rid of the dead skin caused by the lead foundation and gunpowder eyeshadow.

I've done my research, trust me.

In the 1500-1600s, makeup consisted of the following:

concealer = melted candle wax. This filled in the fine lines and wrinkles caused by the damage to the skin from the rest of the cosmetics. Also scars from disease.
foundation = egg whites and lead powder
eyeshadow = gunpowder/antimony (it's sparkly)
lipstick = vermilion, also toxic because it's a compound based on cinnabar, aka, mercury ore.
blush = cheap wine or berry juice
eyeliner = Egyptian kohl (we still use this today) and arsenic (still in most makeup today too, which is why you should throw it out after 6 months, no matter how often you've used it.)
Hair dye = Lemon juice, lye, and uh...human urine. (Women would do ANYTHING to have red or blonde hair.)

I've actually played with Roman makeup before, it's less damaging because they were obsessed with smooth skin (though it's noted they still used lead a lot, but the dangers weren't known until recently on a historical scale):

Face and arms: White chalk powder (they were usually naturally tan, so to be pale was very exotic and desired.) Chalk gives your skin a very soft smooth feeling, but it dries it out pretty quick too, which helped counteract perspiration.

Eyes: ash or saffron for shadow, kohl for lining, and burnt cork for mascara and brows, this gives a really ridiculously dramatic look, in my opinion, but for them it was the height of fashion, especially with the pale face. Applying eyeliner in the 'Egyptian' style was the way to go, not only did they consider it beautiful, but it helps control the glare of a strong Mediterranean/Middle Eastern sun. This was practiced pretty much all over the known world at the time by both men and women.

Cheeks and lips: typically a red ochre or the last thick drops in a bottle of wine.

And unlike the later European women, instead of attempting to dye their hair, they just made wigs from the scalps of the barbaric people from the North who HAD blonde and red hair. they would curl it and braid it into their own like cornrows for exotic streaks and highlights.

When I do my Roman costume shoot I'll try to rock the full makeup, but it's not something I really want to go out on town with, if you know what I mean. It's just....not attractive by our standards.

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

...I neglected to mention that I actually HAVE tried vermilion on my lips.

D/N/T!

It tingled and burned something fierce, so I washed it off rather quickly and tried not to lick my lips for a while. However, the results are much like getting a plumping lipstick in a soft red color. Do that, ladies...DO NOT PUT MERCURY ON YOUR LIPS. I AM A SLAVE TO MY WORK.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Richter

Quote from: Suu! on April 23, 2008, 05:11:57 PM

Even today, Geisha who are trying to be v. traditional use a similar compound, but with nightengale droppings to provide the white. 

There are also tribes in Africa who use cow urine for the hair dyeing, similar to the method you mentioned.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Suu

I've done the egg whites before too. That yields some very impressive results. It tightens the skin and gives it a unique shine and a nice base to apply stuff onto. It also washes off easily with soap and water, taking everything with it.

Nast

Quote from: Richter on April 23, 2008, 05:33:39 PM
Quote from: Suu! on April 23, 2008, 05:11:57 PM

Even today, Geisha who are trying to be v. traditional use a similar compound, but with nightengale droppings to provide the white. 

Geisha's face powder was originally also lead based, but they switched to rice powder and other makeup alternatives (like nightingale droppings) when they figured out that lead causes health problems.

Geisha also apply crystallized sugar to their lipstick, which was made out of safflowers, to give it a lovely sheen.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Sir Squid Diddimus

that's uh.........

really fucking frightening when you think about it.
(maybe not egg white, but the rest)

Suu

Never done the bird shit...Mercury lipstick yes, gunpowder eyeshadow yes. If I could get a hold of lead powder I would probably try it once too. Just to say that I've done it, then rush myself to the hospital.

Richter

I want to say it's only lead oxide that's white.

Also; cumulative poison, so once it's in yuo, you're kind of hosed.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Suu

I'm toxic? That's hawt.

Also:

The beginnings of my Jaina Solo saber.

Suu

Functional lightsaber, bitches:

My homemade Jaina Solo is blue (it's supposed to be purple, but they don't make purple LEDs. This is the darkest I could get), my Master Replicas Vader is red. The weight difference is ridiculous. Same with the intensity of the blade. I can actually fight with the Jaina once it's finished and the blade is removable. I just need to add one last accent piece.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Suu! on April 28, 2008, 04:31:54 PM
Functional lightsaber, bitches:

cool, does it both cut bread and toast it at the same time, like the one in the HHGTTG movie?

cause that would be, you know, useful
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Suu

And more!

I can make julienne fries!

LMNO

:yawn:

Let me know when you can make Julienne Moore with it.