News:

I WILL KILL A MOTHERFUCKER.

Main Menu

Suu's Thread-Jack

Started by Suu, August 27, 2007, 05:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

That takes an extensive mastery of the Dark Side of the Force....few more weeks. Tops.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Suu! on April 28, 2008, 04:31:54 PM
Functional lightsaber, bitches:

My homemade Jaina Solo is blue (it's supposed to be purple, but they don't make purple LEDs. This is the darkest I could get), my Master Replicas Vader is red. The weight difference is ridiculous. Same with the intensity of the blade. I can actually fight with the Jaina once it's finished and the blade is removable. I just need to add one last accent piece.

A) HAWT!
B) purple LED's, gitcher purple LED's here! http://www.futurlec.com/LED/LED5PU.shtml

Suu

Unfortunately that's not the kind of LED used:

This is.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sir Squid Diddimus

im pretty sure it could be wired to that... stuff.
i'll ask mr squid what would work best and let you know
he's the electroniques mr wizard guy

Sir Squid Diddimus

ran into a snag.
tryin to find a bulb bright enough to light up the whole... uh....    stick/tube?

will keep looking though.

super geeks cannot fail!

or we can and then we hang our heads in shame.

Darth Cupcake

That is fucking bad ass.

I wanna learn how to make my own lightsaber...
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Suu

Quote from: Cthulhu's Squidling on May 02, 2008, 07:20:33 AM
ran into a snag.
tryin to find a bulb bright enough to light up the whole... uh....    stick/tube?

will keep looking though.

super geeks cannot fail!

or we can and then we hang our heads in shame.

Purple emits the second lowest amount of light of all LEDs next to UV, which is invisible to human eyes. This is why I had to go with royal blue.  :cry:

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on May 02, 2008, 03:04:14 PM
That is fucking bad ass.

I wanna learn how to make my own lightsaber...

When you're ready, let me know. I can help. Go pick out what you want from here: www.thecustomsabershop.com

Cain

Hah, I know some guy from another forum who claimed he made hundreds of pounds making custom lightsabres.  Enough to buy designer watches etc...

Dream on buddy, dream on...

Suu

Um...people do. Especially Parks and this guy in the UK that does amazing custom metal work that he anodizes in different colors.

The Custom Saber Shop guy, Tim, does all the machining himself, but he sells at very reasonable prices. I think he can build a rig for you, but usually my friends and I just get the parts and put it together ourselves. My Jaina saber cost me about $150, which I only paid like $20 of since it was a costume barter.  :digtbk:

I make officer costume, I get lightsaber.

Cain

Yeah, but this guy claims its his only income, and that he makes enough from it to live much better than the average person.  :|

Suu

Quote from: Cain on May 02, 2008, 03:42:05 PM
Yeah, but this guy claims its his only income, and that he makes enough from it to live much better than the average person.  :|

I don't know about that...I know www.parksabers.com became that way. He now outsources to China.  :argh!: Of course, he IS the designer of Mara-Jade's lightsaber that was given to Shannon McRandall to pose with in all of her cover shoots and cards. He's actually allowed to offer it for general sale now, which is why it's the first one on the page. However, I won't pay $400-500 for a lightsaber when he uses a dated technology and I can make one myself for less than half the price with parts from the Custom Saber Shop.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

cant you like...use a red and a blue together to get a purple...

Suu

Light doesn't work the same way as pigment, unfortunately. Even by putting a purple filter over a white LED it STILL destroys too much of the light.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Suu! on May 02, 2008, 06:51:42 PMLight doesn't work the same way as pigment, unfortunately. Even by putting a purple filter over a white LED it STILL destroys too much of the light.

no fred's right (she knows her colour theory), cause it sort of does happen to work that way for red and blue.

if you combine a red and a blue LED, you'll get some purple-magenta-ish.

in this case it's not a filter, it's additive.

especially if you think about the way it's supposed to be received by the eye, which has cones for red and blue frequencies of light (and green, but not for purple), it's going to be registered as a combination of red and blue anyway, even if you had a purple LED.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Suu

The trick is to figure out a mechanism of sorts to work out having two LEDs, and I know very little about electronics, unfortunately.