News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

Suu's Thread-Jack

Started by Suu, August 27, 2007, 05:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

Very cool!  Found the McGill clan--that's my mother's mother's father's name.  :D

Suu

So I've decided to work on getting my online store live for Ancient and Medieval garb (I won't get into the fancy late period stuff without a srs bzns reputation and sewing machines likened to Panzer tanks.)

Offerings:

Men:

Undertunic
Overtunic
Leine
Under/over ensemble
Norman Pants

Women:

Underdress
Overdress
Under/Over ensemble
Chemise
Roman Stola

Unisex:

Byzantine Tunica
Byzantine Dalmatica
Roman Doric Tunica

Coming soon (mostly because I haven't actually made one yet and don't have existing pieces to model):

Roman Ionic Tunica (Greek Chiton)
Byzantine Stola
Turkish Salvar Pants

I hope Mr. Suu and Richter are feeling sassy this evening after work, because they're going to be modeling.  :evil:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Payne on November 04, 2008, 10:43:53 PM
http://www.tartanweb.com/tartanfinder.html

^for a bit of fun for anyone else, this will give you all registered tartans if you've traced you genealogy back.

http://www.scotweb.co.uk/newsite/tartan?id=N5MBAYDW

^more user friendly
Weird. They have my last name even though it was originally an English name. I don't like the colors in it though.  Needs less red.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Suu on November 11, 2008, 07:49:52 PM
I hope Mr. Suu and Richter are feeling sassy this evening after work, because they're going to be modeling.  :evil:

How could they NOT be feeling sassy?

Also, you know the drill. Pics, etc. :D
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Suu

Mr. Suu was NOT sassy last night.  :cry: And it's hard to get both of them to do this. I'm going to have to wait until we can go outside one day or something. There's a great park on the Eastside of Providence with an old ass well in it, unfortunately it's November.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Suu presents: Project Constantinople! - The Late Period Chronicles

Right on. Since I was pretty much sewing all day between commissions, I decided to go ahead and start working on my 16th Century Ottoman Turkish garb. Now, since I'm of partial Greek descent, I should probably kill myself, but the artist in me really has wanted to pull off Ottoman garments for a while.

Why?

A: They're comfy
B: They're exotic
C: They're period for my sea-faring fop shrew of a persona.
D: NO CORSET
E: PANCE

Right on. First up is the gomlek. This layer is the underwear, constructed on white linen and machine embroidered scallop blackwork:

If I have enough time this week, I'm going to make a dark blue pair of salwar (hammer pance) and a burgundy entari (jacket) if I can get the frogs to do it in time for an event next weekend. This will be 'casual' wear, and I plan on doing a full-on formal getup for the ball in February.

If all goes to plan and I get a sufficient amount of money (har!) soon, my plan is to attend CostumeCon in Baltimore in May to present both my Byzantine and Turkish to the judges in the historical masquerade there. I still have to make a few more components for my Byzantine to be fully formal anyway, including a 5 yard or so chunk of linen to wind around my body like the Virgin Mary, but you know, what I do for my craft.  :roll:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Nice! I love the scalloped stitching, too.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Quote from: Nigel on November 29, 2008, 05:51:18 AM
Nice! I love the scalloped stitching, too.

Thanks! That was such a gamble trying that, but I really like the way it came out.

Also, I have 3 out of 5 skirts done for you!  :mrgreen: Need to find some more interesting fabrics...I couldn't find anything orange that wasn't horrible, but I'm going back in a couple of days, so we'll see.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Dude, awesome! I made your sister's leaf today, I can't wait to take it out of the kiln tomorrow and see if it's as garish as I hope it is.  :mrgreen:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Haha! The more obnoxious for her, the better! I gotta run to Michael's soonish and get some jump rings and chains for them.

Have you BEEN in Michael's lately?! I don't know about your side of the country, but HOLY SHIT, totally renovated! The beading section is AWESOME.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I made some heavy hammered copper jump rings that are fantastic with the leaves; you want I should send them with? They look fine with silver.

Suu

Ooo awesome! Sure! I'm sure you saw what I did with mine with the wrapped copper wire, I ended up grabbing a chain from Michael's for it a few weeks ago and it looks soooo much better than on the hemp. Well, at least for me, because hemp makes my neck get all itchy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oooh I think I missed teh copper wire!

I agree with you about hemp: I'm sure it's great after you've worn it for six months and it gets all soft, but who can wear it for six months?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I just got the leaf out of the kiln and it's insane. The pink turned out more of a deep fuchsia than a hot pink, and the green is ZOMGFUCKINGLIME. It's actually a much better combination that I ever would have imagined... I put some silver on, which brings it down a bit and makes it look a bit more organic and refined.

Suu

Because I just happened to have a digital camera, a bolt of dark blue fabric, and the leaf within arms reach of each other, you can see what I did! I took this without the flash, with the flash and it got totally washed out:

I get an INSANE amount of compliments on it, so whenever I can, I try to plug you as much as possible. If you want to send me a few business cards I'll see what I can do.