News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

Suu's Thread-Jack

Started by Suu, August 27, 2007, 05:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

Suu

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 21, 2009, 02:03:30 AM
you really outdone yourself

:oops:

Thanks.

Quote from: Sanguine Penguin on January 21, 2009, 02:04:43 AM
:mittens: Congratulations! These photos are fantastic!  :mittens:

I'm thinking about which ones to order. I'm a fan of the really pompous looking front shot and the side view.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Thanks guys!

I just found ones of me on stage, the only one I like is me bowing at the judges here.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Vene

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 21, 2009, 02:03:30 AM
you really outdone yourself
I agree, that is fantastic work Suu.

Suu

I have another chance to compete with it again coming up next weekend too at Birka.  :mrgreen:

Cainad (dec.)

Freaking EXCELLENT, and congratulations.

Telarus

*Echoes all the encouraging spaggotry up-thread.*

Congrats on the Ribbons, too!
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Sir Squid Diddimus

Raphaella

Quote from: Suu on January 21, 2009, 02:33:26 AM
I have another chance to compete with it again coming up next weekend too at Birka.  :mrgreen:

I'm sure you'll do well with this one too. It's a shame you have to pick which pics to order though, I would be a greedy spag and take them all. (If only you did not have to pay for them.)
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

CynicalCichilid

Fantastic photos and costume Suu. You look amazing in them.

Suu

Speaking of sewing...let's move onto Phase 3 of Operation: Constantinople and talk Turkey...er...Ottoman.

I posted pictures of my gomlek already, so here is my first attempt at a basic entari, or outer coat. I noticed as I was tediously handsewing on the frogs last night (I only got three halfs done) that something was off, so I put it on my dressform, then wore it myself after removing some of the pinned closures and playing around. The neckline isn't right, and it's bunching weird.

Now, historically, this could be correct, as all garments were made from the same pattern being men or women in varying sizes. Women would only wear it closed up until under the bust for support and their belts along the hip and under the FUPA, which I don't find too flattering, but after my fitting, I can understand why.

and Historical sources:

The low-slung belt keeps the bottom gores closed, and by keeping it unbuttoned under the bust, it stops the rather untailored chest area from bunching and lends support to the breasts (I am not wearing a bra in that pic). Good thing this isn't going to be a formal outfit at all, just comfortable "low-class" (stripes are nomadic/tribal) or slumming garb. I am planning on making a more courtly ensemble, but now I'm worried about the fit, and I guess I'm going to cave and have to order the $40 pattern that Reconstructing History offers. Fuck.

Oh well, my persona isn't Turkish, just a tacky Italian girl. If someone bitches about the way it fits, I'll just go, "Look, I stole this off of a rack in the bazaar and have no idea how to wear it."

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

AFK

It works, not that it's any of my business. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Suu

Quote from: Triple "Dave" Zero on January 27, 2009, 08:31:28 PM
love the colours!

Thanks! So do I!

Stripes like I said, are "low-class" for Turkish, but I couldn't resist, especially since I got it on the cheap from Wal-Mart when they were purging their stock. I didn't get enough fabric for a very full entari, but again, for the sake of a nomadic or low-class garment, I don't think it would be that full anyway.

My next endeavor is going to be something that looks more like this:

Something much more formal and layered, only I'm thinking blue and gold on the outer entari and burgundy and cream for the inner one and my gomlek is a sheer-off white with yellow trim. I already have most of the fabric to get started on two layers.