News:

Testimonial: "It's just honestly sad that a place like this exists"

Main Menu

Classical guitar recordings

Started by B_M_W, August 27, 2007, 10:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

First off, you should probably convert the WAV to MP3 before uploading.  saves a lot of memory.

Secondly, which program did you use to record it, and what sort of audio processing does it have?

Thirdly, you've got a really good tone.

Fourth, what sort of room are you in?

Fifth, what color panties are you wearing?

B_M_W

Quote from: LMNO on August 29, 2007, 02:33:05 PM
First off, you should probably convert the WAV to MP3 before uploading.  saves a lot of memory.

Secondly, which program did you use to record it, and what sort of audio processing does it have?

1. How would I convert to MP3?

2. I used the minimalist recording program that came with the computer. In the future I will use Audacity to record. I'm not sure what audio processing is.

3. Thank you.  :oops:

4. My bedroom. Not a very good place for recording with all the sound absorbing objects, and the noise. Which is why I'm suprised it cleaned up so well. I don't think there is really any room in this old wooden house with good acoustics.

5. I'm sorry, I can't be revealing trade secrets to dirty old men, can I?  :mrgreen:

And thanks to RWHN too. I look forward to any critiques you may have.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

AFK

Bravo.  I liked it and hope to hear more.  Even though there is a classical guitar in the house I have no experience with the actual playing style, as a performer that is.  But as a listener I thought it was great.  As far as rooms, you might give it a try in the bathroom if you can work it out.  I've recorded vocals and trumpet before in a bathroom and it came out pretty good.  Though again, I suppose it will depend on size, wall composition, etc. 

If you know of anyone with a raquetball court   :lol:

My improv band once performed in a racquetball court, with the lights out.  The way the sounds bounced and echoed made for a very interesting musical experience. 

But honestly I thought it sounded really good. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Littlest Ubermensch

Quote from: Buddhist_Monk_Wannabe on August 30, 2007, 01:03:11 AM
Quote from: LMNO on August 29, 2007, 02:33:05 PM

1. How would I convert to MP3?

2. I used the minimalist recording program that came with the computer. In the future I will use Audacity to record. I'm not sure what audio processing is.

3. Thank you.  :oops:

4. My bedroom. Not a very good place for recording with all the sound absorbing objects, and the noise. Which is why I'm suprised it cleaned up so well. I don't think there is really any room in this old wooden house with good acoustics.

5. I'm sorry, I can't be revealing trade secrets to dirty old men, can I?  :mrgreen:

And thanks to RWHN too. I look forward to any critiques you may have.

You can convert wavs to mp3s using Audacity. Just open up the wav and "export as mp3".
Sound processing referrs to whatever you do to the audio after it's recorded, like distortion, EQ, compression, etc.
[witticism/philosophical insight/nifty quote to prove my intelligence to the forum]

LISTEN TO MY SHOW THURSDAY 5-7 EST

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE

LMNO

LU + RWHN have it right.

Interesting that you didn't do anything to the track.  I'm hearing a phase shift and some reverb.  The latter is probably the sustain of the guitar itself (which is awesome-- that's a good guitar you got there), but the former could be a reflection, a dual microphone, or just the quality of the mic itself.

I don't thing the phaser is a bad thing, I just like sorting between the intentional sounds and the unintentional (no value judgements).

AFK

Yeah, that was the other question I had.  What kind of mic you are using?

LMNO

I think it's just the on-board mic in his laptop.

AFK

B_M_W

Quote from: LMNO on August 30, 2007, 12:43:32 PM
LU + RWHN have it right.

Interesting that you didn't do anything to the track.  I'm hearing a phase shift and some reverb.  The latter is probably the sustain of the guitar itself (which is awesome-- that's a good guitar you got there), but the former could be a reflection, a dual microphone, or just the quality of the mic itself.

I don't thing the phaser is a bad thing, I just like sorting between the intentional sounds and the unintentional (no value judgements).

Actually, I think I said that PaTH cleanned up the track a bit, though I don't know exactly what he did. I don't think it was phase shift or reverb, whatever that is. And yeah, its a great guitar, a Carvin classical. There are only faults to the design of that guitar, one, that the neck is too thin, meaning the first string often slides off the frets when doing trills and hammers, and two, the half size body makes it a much quieter guitar, making it difficult to record and also to perform on without amplification. I may try my other classical for later track, it doesn't have as nice a sound, but it is much louder, fuller, therefore allowing me a greater dynamic range. I'll put any new tracks in MP3 now that I know how.

The mic is a Chicory laptop mic. Its right at the top of the screen on the laptop, along with the camera, and it seems to record really quiet with lots of noise. I'm not exactly sure what I can do to improve the conditions; I've actually considered buying a real recording mic. With the classical guitar, it doesn't take much to record high quality tracks, just a good mic and a good acoustical space. That, and a good editor.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

LMNO

a decent condeser mic can be had for under $100.  A great one can be had for over $5000. 

Go for the cheap one.  with the ambient noise in your apartment, you probably won't notice the difference anyway.

AFK

I concur.  I have a Shure condenser mic that I used to record my Melodica and I didn't pick up hardly any other sounds at all.  I know I paid less than $100 for that.  I'm thinking it was in the $50-$70 range. 

B_M_W

I'll think about it.

As far as things are right now, this mic is picking up my guitar, and PaTH is cleaning the tracks up really well, so I am not too pressed to buy a mic.

Next step: Re-record this track to fix some stylistic stuff. Then La Casa Azul, then another 15th century piece, then an Allegretto by Dionisio Aguado, and we'll see from there, cause the possibilities are near limitless.

LMNO

I'm in half a mind to steal your tracks and put a techno beat underneath.

You know, just to piss people off.

B_M_W

Quote from: LMNO on August 30, 2007, 04:35:04 PM

:lulz: I'd endorse that.

Dunno if I have a steady enough meter to do that though. You could always trim here and there to make it fit I guess.

:lulz: I Like the idea better and better the more I think of it.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Buddhist_Monk_Wannabe on August 30, 2007, 04:42:13 PM
Quote from: LMNO on August 30, 2007, 04:35:04 PM

:lulz: I'd endorse that.

Dunno if I have a steady enough meter to do that though. You could always trim here and there to make it fit I guess.

:lulz: I Like the idea better and better the more I think of it.

Actually, I'd listen to that and rock out. It sounds like a worthwhile idea.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.