News:

PD may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.  If PD splits open, do not look directly at resulting goo.  PD is still legal in 14 states.

Main Menu

‫‬‭‮‪‫‬‭‮҉OMG THIS IS WEIRD

Started by Lies, August 28, 2007, 05:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

no i think what you're playing with are actually two characters. one is the "reverse" character, which is invisible. the other is the "sun" character that gives people something to click and select. maybe.

it should be one of these unicode chars ‫‬‭‮‪‫‬‭‮҉ (this is what appears in your sourcecode)

edit: fixed because it was supposed to look like html entities, not like the actual ... damn this is confusing, i hate messing with character-encodings. it's the webdeveloper's nightmare

(i can type these chars under linux by holding ctrl-shift)

8235 = empty
8236 = also empty
8237 = does something weird reversing shit but i'm not sure how

no wait all these 823x ones do something with the delimiting of the LTR and RTL stuff

then 1161 =    ҉

this sun symbol which is placed slightly to the left of where the character be, for some reason. but afaics the symbol itself doesn't reverse anything.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Suu

Actually, the title of the page in my IE window shows correctly, but the actual thread is backwards.

Nifty.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Triple Zero

fuck that shit

i'm gonna play with SMF encodings ITT

& = ampersand
& = not ampersand
& = also ampersand
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Triple Zero

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Unicode.html

just because i know you are all desperately wondering where unicode came from and why anybody is bothering with it.

Suu

It's what I've been waiting on all my life, Trip, thanks.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: triple zero on August 28, 2007, 06:02:49 PM
.. but it's not working in my post!

but i to see it in yours

Wonder if your browser is using a different character set....
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Triple Zero

faust: no it's not, it's just that the appearance of that special character in the thread title reverses everything in that particular table cell.

rat: no i just did it wrong.

faust

yes but it will do that in everything it is put to, I am just thinking could it be possible to hurt ad db when database parsing, or its probably just a visual thing.
I dont get it on mine, I get a question mark.

Triple Zero

it's just a visual thing, affecting the way a text/font is rendered on the screen. the database will just store the characters, including the reversing character, but it will have no problems or no effect from it, since inside the database, it's just numbers.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: triple zero on August 28, 2007, 06:44:20 PM

just because i know you are all desperately wondering where unicode came from and why anybody is bothering with it.

Actually, that was really freaking interesting.

I'm not sure that I really understood all of it--I'm really good with coding concepts, but really only when I sit down with someone face to face and have it explained; I just don't do a good job of grasping it through reading for some reason--but it was really interesting. And relevant. Good stuff. :)
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on August 28, 2007, 07:04:38 PM
Quote from: triple zero on August 28, 2007, 06:44:20 PM

Actually, that was really freaking interesting.

was??

i'm still ploughing through it :)

Darth Cupcake

I read really fast, even for a native speaker. :p
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Cain

I'm so glad I missed this thread the first time around

Faust

Sleepless nights at the chateau