News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

RWHN's Wicked-Good Grilled Cheese Sand-Witch

Started by AFK, September 06, 2007, 05:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Okay, so in the WHN household I'm known and noted for 3 culinary delicacies:

Mac and Cheese
Coffee
and my piece de irresistance:  Grilled Cheese Sandwich. 

So, here's how I do it:

You got your bread.  I like to use a hearty bread like oatmeal, 12-grain, 7-grain, whatever.  But no white bread.  That's just wrong.

Anyhoo, I grill up some onions and peppers.  Usually Sweet Onion or Vidalia Onion and Red Peppers.  Though Orange and Yellow Bell peppers work nicely too.

For cheese: something with some kick.  My favorite is Sargento's Chipotle Jack Cheddar.  Two slices per sandwhich.

So you put your grilled veggies between the two slices of cheese and bread, butter the bread and grill.

I like to sprinkle the buttered bread with red pepper flakes, (and if I know for sure I'm not getting any that night) some garlic. 

So there you have it.  Yummy goodness. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Suu

You need to come work with me when I open my gourmet grilled cheese place. *is a regular grilled cheese guru*
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

AFK

I don't know about working, but I sure as hell will come as a customer.  You just can't go wrong with a good grilled cheese sandwich.  It's one of those "kid foods" that you just can't give up. 

Darth Cupcake

Oh man I love grilled cheese so freaking much.

I will definitely have to make this sometime.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

AFK

Suu

The trick with cooking an ultimate grilled cheese sandwich, aside from using bread OTHER than white, is the ability to cook the bread to the diner's request.

For example, Mr. Suu enjoys his grilled cheese in a nice golden brown all over. Me? I want my bread dark, near burnt. But if you DO burn it, then it tastes like ashes and you'll more than likely set off the smoke alarm in your house.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

AFK

Yeah, I'm with you.  I like it pretty dark too.  With some texture but not crispy dark. 

Suu

I think once D-Cup moves up here that we need to have a grilled cheese party.

Richter

The illusion of nutrition before boozemuffins , huh? : D
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Suu

Actually, since D-Cup enjoys cooking, perhaps she may join us as Casa Richter for the Roman Banquet?

Richter

D-cup is welcome to attend!
Better with another person there to verify how the end of my apartment went down : )
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Darth Cupcake

Oooh. This sounds intriguing and alluring.

As well as boozemuffins, I make a spinach artichoke dip that has resulted in multiple marriage proposals, and what has been widely hailed as the best Boston Cream Pie EVAR.

I will gladly bring sacrifices!

AFK

Geez, what happens if we come and my wife ends up proposing to you?  The intrigue, the scandal!

Darth Cupcake

The good news is, I currently have a 100% rate of rejecting proposals. And really, I'd hate to do anything that would jeopardize my chances of seeing more hilariously awful puns about things like spicy racks! :p

Suu

Oh dear...the next Discordian convergence is going to be in Worcester over ancient food and puns.

This could be interesting.