News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

I feel like an asshole...

Started by East Coast Hustle, September 11, 2007, 03:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rumckle

I borrowed Signal to Noise from the library today, looks interesting.

Also, Fragile Things had some good stories in it.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

BadBeast

Gaiman has a rare talent. His graphic novels are some of the few that I would class as genuine literature in their own right. Sandman is breathtaking, beautiful, and moving. He has the range and scope of Alan Moore, without ever becoming as 'serious' as Moore. His fiction is unique, American Gods is brilliant. Anansi boys is good too. He's not technically a brilliant Author, but where his talent lies I think, is as a Storyteller. There are very few people who can tell a tale like Gaiman. The way his fairytale style takes proper grown up stories, and tells them without coming across in a 'childish' way is really unique. He is a proper Storysmith, a Craftsman, in an almost Bardic tradition. His insight into the human condition translates beautifully into his mythical works, like Sandman, and his characters are crafted with real feeling and empathy. All his material that I've read, transcends any genre it might be marketed as, and this is a mark of special talent.
I love it. 
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

The short story (one page) called "The End" in Fragile Things is mindblowingly awesome.

The best single page I ever read.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson