News:

It is our goal to harrass and harangue you ever further toward our own incoherent brand of horse-laugh radicalism.

Main Menu

An interview with you

Started by Peterson Silva, September 16, 2007, 02:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on September 19, 2007, 05:55:17 PM
True, true... "think for yourself, schmuck" seems to be one of the biggest points to make.

Also Rat, "A conclusion is simply where you stopped thinking" seems to apply to your post.

Yep, I was thinking that exact line when I wrote the post. Well that and Crowley's "Every Soldier should be followed by a Hunchback"!?!?!?!?!???!!!???!!?!!?
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Mangrove

Influential books to Mang' (at risk of drawing great derision upon his polystyrene nose).

a) The Tibetan Book Of Living & Dying - Sogyal Rinpoche
b) On The Road - Kerouac (and Beat writing generally)
c)  Generation X - Douglas Coupland
d)  Why Freud Was Wrong - R. Wilson(?)
e)  Magick (aka Book 4 aka Liber ABA) - Crowley
f)   The Chicken Qabalah Of Rabbi Lamed Ben Clifford - L M Duquette
g)  Popular science books on Quantum Physics, Cosmology, Consciousness Research et al.
h) Oriental works relating to Health, Spirituality & Martial Arts
i)  OmG LOL FNORD2311!!s (aka Principia Discordia - Loompanics Edition)
j)  Early 80s Archie comics. Srsly.
k) The Hiram Key - a totally terrible, dreadful piece of ill-considered conspiracy nonsense. But important in that it got me to do a lot of reading & research into the 'Western Mystery Tradition' so-called and thus able to entirely refute and mock other terrible, dreadful works of ill-considered conspiracy nonsense. (cf: Laz & Closer to God website).
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Rev. Peterson Cekemp on September 19, 2007, 05:16:16 PMNext question: what do you think it's the most important aim of discordianism: only get people to be free in this society of slavery or try to change the society? Know what I mean?

Society is always slavery.  Changing it is pointless, unless there's some kind of slavery you prefer over what you already have.  Even then, the headlining act of every Revolution always makes a piss-poor management team if the Revolution wins.  I don't think Discordianism is strictly for the Individual: it can and should be applied as a force for social upheaval.  But it shouldn't ever become loyal to any kind of Establishment.  If Discordians overthrew the current government and set up a new one, I'd make some new organization to subvert that version instead.  So the most important aim of Discordianism is to forcibly extract people from their Comfort Zones, regardless of what makes them comfortable -- even if they're comfortable in agreement with what most Discordians tend to think.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

LMNO

Oh, in response to Mang... I think The Book of Lies is fun, but I'm not convinced of how important it is.

Mangrove

Quote from: LMNO on September 19, 2007, 06:02:30 PM
Oh, in response to Mang... I think The Book of Lies is fun, but I'm not convinced of how important it is.

Book of Lies is a lot of fun, if you're nerdy enough to do the sort of reading necessary to get all the 'in jokes'.

Yeah, I'm with you on that. Fun, but probably not important.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on September 19, 2007, 06:02:30 PM

I think it depends... if as a Discordian, you want to experience significantly different "models"... Crowley did a great job with a complex model to immerse yourself in.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: vexati0n on September 19, 2007, 06:01:07 PM
I don't think Discordianism is strictly for the Individual: it can and should be applied as a force for social upheaval.

I agree, I think the primary focus of the PD and of Discordianism may be more personal, but the changes wrought in the person usually lead to their preference for social upheaval... in some sense*.

*as compared to SubG's which seem to have their primary focus aimed at the Pinks.

AFK

Hmm, I thought I had submitted a response to Rev CK's latest question.  Oh well, I think that bit that Cram quoted from me from awhile ago is pretty much how I still feel about the aim of Discordianism. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

hooplala

Favourite books (in no order):

"Consider Her Ways"

"Factotum"

"The Illiad"

"A Scanner Darkly"

"Deadeye Dick" & "Jailbird"

"Beautiful Losers"

"Master and Margarita"

"Ulysses" (yes, I really do enjoy reading it.  Most of it, anyway)

"The Dark Tower Series"

"The Negative Dialectics Of Poodle Play"
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Littlest Ubermensch

[witticism/philosophical insight/nifty quote to prove my intelligence to the forum]

LISTEN TO MY SHOW THURSDAY 5-7 EST

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE

Peterson Silva

Excellent answers so far, guys.  :D

Ok, I'm going to do some background to this question... Personally, I think a fair capitalist world is as utopic as an anarchy world.

What do you think we can do to make our society better? Do you think "doing our part" is good or do we have to make some special effort? Having the same opinion as mine, do you think anything can be done?
babble babble bitch bitch rebel rebel party party sex sex sex and don't forget the violence blah blah blah get you lovey-dovey sad and lonely stick your stupid slogan in and everybody sing along

PopeTom

Quote from: Rev. Peterson Cekemp on September 19, 2007, 02:10:20 PM
Quote from: The Littlest Ubermensch on September 18, 2007, 10:01:34 PM
Edit: I'm 15, by the way.

I'm 14.

Ok, next question: what are your favorite non-discordian books? (for instance, don't put any RAW thing or principia, cause this is obvious =D)

What qualifies as a non-Discordian book?  A few of my favorite book of the past few years were written by someone heavly influenced by Discordianism and RAW.

45 by Bill Drummond.
Bad Wisdom by Bill Drummond and Mark Manning
Collateral Damage
Fucked by Rock by Mark Manning
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

Cain

Quote from: Rev. Peterson Cekemp on September 19, 2007, 05:16:16 PMNext question: what do you think it's the most important aim of discordianism: only get people to be free in this society of slavery or try to change the society? Know what I mean?

To wake them up to new possibilities and ideas.  To realize authority is always suspect, regardless of what it claims and that reality is often messy and unpredictable.

And to have fun, of course.

Cain

Quote from: Rev. Peterson Cekemp on September 20, 2007, 02:25:01 AMWhat do you think we can do to make our society better? Do you think "doing our part" is good or do we have to make some special effort? Having the same opinion as mine, do you think anything can be done?

Hang all bankers.

That aside, decentralize power and decision making as much as possible.  Restructure the economy to value leisure time, creative endeavours etc more (I have ideas on how to do this, but they are pretty complex.  And require robots to do nearly all the heavy industry work).  Educate people in the art of critical thinking from an early age, and teach them to be skeptical towards everything.  Then trust them to make decisions based on their own knowledge and preferences, within reason.

LMNO

Cain, those are great ideas.

I really like the critical thinking and emphasis on SLACK.

As far as decentralized decision making, what about national disasters, interstate commerce, foreign policy, etc?  There seem to be some instances where a more pyramid-style system seems to be more effective.