News:

if the thee off of you are revel in the fact you ds a discordant suck it's dick and praise it's agenda? guess what bit-chit's not. hat I in fact . do you really think it'd theshare about shit, hen you should indeed tare-take if the frontage that you're into. do you really think it's the hardcore shite of the left thy t? you're little f/cking girls parackind abbot in tituts. FUCK YOU. you're latecomers, and you 're folks who don't f/cking get it. plez challenge me.

Main Menu

An interview with you

Started by Peterson Silva, September 16, 2007, 02:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Actually, you'll find centralized systems tend to fail in many circumstances.  New Orleans, anyone?  I wont even go into security, where centralized systems are by far the easiest to break.  Decentralized systems are far more robust in economic and security terms.

Sure, there will still be a need for a national/federal level, to manage some affairs.  But why should my local council have to beg to the central Government every single time it wants to do something?  Its unnecessary, and it makes a mockery of even having a sub-national government.  Plus, its a perfect cover for the national government to undertake all sorts of private data collection, "protection of me for my own good" and other assorted crap I dont really like.  If my needs are mostly dealt with locally, then the national government has no excuse to get involved in the first place.

I'll explain this more when I don't have a fuzzy head.  I'm not even sure if the above makes sense, because for the last hour I've felt really light-headed and uncomfortable.  But for now, it will hold, I hope.

AFK

Quote from: Rev. Peterson Cekemp on September 20, 2007, 02:25:01 AM
Excellent answers so far, guys.  :D

Ok, I'm going to do some background to this question... Personally, I think a fair capitalist world is as utopic as an anarchy world.

What do you think we can do to make our society better? Do you think "doing our part" is good or do we have to make some special effort? Having the same opinion as mine, do you think anything can be done?

My thoughts are similar to Cain's.  I think one of the biggest improvements that can be made in our society is to foster a better value in imagination.  When we are kids, we spend so much of our time in our imagination.  Whether it be drawing or coloring, reading, playing, or just acting like goofs.  It seems there's a point where that is directly and indirectly discouraged, and I believe it's in school, the exact place where that should be fostered. 

Imagination is key to problem solving, but, really in school the most exposure kids get to problem solving is in mathematics, and the way that's set up, you really can't use creativity and imagination.  In that kind of problem solving, there is One ultimate solution.  Anything else is wrong.  And into adulthood this kind of thinking is reinforced.  For example, when you vote you have to vote for a Donkey or an Elephant.  So we breed an army of apathetic dullards who can't think outside of the box.  Of course, some are able to circumvent all of this, but I feel there should be many, many more. 

Until then, our society will forever worship the God of Status Quo, and preach blasphemy against those who shun his teachings of Entrenchment and Inaction. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cain on September 20, 2007, 01:29:43 PM
That aside, decentralize power and decision making as much as possible.  Restructure the economy to value leisure time, creative endeavours etc more (I have ideas on how to do this, but they are pretty complex.  And require robots to do nearly all the heavy industry work).  Educate people in the art of critical thinking from an early age, and teach them to be skeptical towards everything.  Then trust them to make decisions based on their own knowledge and preferences, within reason.

my thoughts exactly.

seriously it's kinda weird to see how much this resembles my own thoughts on improving society. since i never articulated these thoughts on these fora (because i know far too less about politics to foresee any pitfalls or whatever). but especially the decentralization bit, i've been saying that for years before i even got to discordianism.

would be interested in the ideas, just for the sake of it :)

also, about the robots, i gotta mention the bit in Schroedinger's Cat Trilogy, you know which part.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Peterson Silva

One of our brazilian discordians (Rev. Ibrahim Cesar, from blog 1001 Schröedinger's Cat [www.1001gatos.org]) started a discussion in his blog with a nice question, which I'd like to copy here:

Global warming. Do you consider yourself guilty or victim? Why?
babble babble bitch bitch rebel rebel party party sex sex sex and don't forget the violence blah blah blah get you lovey-dovey sad and lonely stick your stupid slogan in and everybody sing along

The Littlest Ubermensch

As far as politics goes: see Cain's posts. Couldn't have said it better.
[witticism/philosophical insight/nifty quote to prove my intelligence to the forum]

LISTEN TO MY SHOW THURSDAY 5-7 EST

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE

Payne

Quote from: Rev. Peterson Cekemp on September 20, 2007, 08:05:03 PM
One of our brazilian discordians (Rev. Ibrahim Cesar, from blog 1001 Schröedinger's Cat [www.1001gatos.org]) started a discussion in his blog with a nice question, which I'd like to copy here:

I don't care, really.

I should, but I don't.

AFK

Neither. 

I am of a belief that the Earth is going to do its thing, despite what humans think they can or cannot do to change its weather systems.  I'm not a Phd, I haven't done any peer reviewed research on the matter, it's just what I believe.  So I can't say I'm guilty or a victim.  I'm just another schmuck living on this hunk of space rock, existing until his number comes up, then it's someone else's deal. 

LMNO

If he's using an Aristotelean either/or in his question, he doesn't seem to be much of a Discordian.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I'm still unsure that the theories of causes and effects as related to Global Warming are well understood or modeled in a reasonable fashion. It may, yet it may not, place me as guilty or victim or other.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Triple Zero

i've been doing my part to conserve energy all my life, at least, as much as i believe i can comfortably manage. except for the bit where i tend to leave my computer on 24/7. which probably negates the whole effort. but then again, conserving energy has other advantages as well :)

apart from that, i don't see myself as a victim. the netherlands are confident that they can built dikes good enough to resist predicted water-level rise in the upcoming century (we've been doing this for ages, afterall). the poor people in Bangladesh, however, are at the same sea-level and are in for much worse disasters .. :-/

whether it's humans or "natural" climate change, i dunno either. doesn't mean we can't try and see what we can do about it though.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Peterson Silva

Quote from: LMNO on September 20, 2007, 08:21:35 PM
If he's using an Aristotelean either/or in his question, he doesn't seem to be much of a Discordian.

As far as I understood what you said, Ibrahim didn't exclude the possibility of answering "none of the two" or "both", or "another answer". =)

But, going on with this, I'm going to post the last question. I'll get everything that's here to make the article on monday (I'll travel this weekend), so everyone has the chance to answer the past questions.

Before I post it, I'd like to say an interesting thing: we have different realities for "global warming". Seriously, here in Brazil although most of the people seem to give a shit about the environment, but because of pure ignorance. The media paints it as an absolute truth - really, nobody that sees TV, reads the newspaper, or even reads the internet news would doubt about the "factness" apearance of the global warming.

My last question couldn't be more commonplace: If you have the chance, what'd you say to (or ask to...):

1) Brazilian discordians
2) A serial killer
3) Paris Hilton
babble babble bitch bitch rebel rebel party party sex sex sex and don't forget the violence blah blah blah get you lovey-dovey sad and lonely stick your stupid slogan in and everybody sing along

AFK

Quote from: Rev. Peterson Cekemp on September 20, 2007, 08:59:38 PM

My last question couldn't be more commonplace: If you have the chance, what'd you say to (or ask to...):

1) Brazilian discordians
2) A serial killer
3) Paris Hilton

1) How/where did you find the BIP pamphlet?  (you may have told me when we first me but I forget.)

2) How do you feel about the War on Terror?

3) Whaddya think, should the wife and I go for the grainy cell-phone video look, or the night vision?  Which do you prefer?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Rev. Peterson Cekemp on September 20, 2007, 08:59:38 PM
Quote from: LMNO on September 20, 2007, 08:21:35 PM

As far as I understood what you said, Ibrahim didn't exclude the possibility of answering "none of the two" or "both", or "another answer". =)

But, going on with this, I'm going to post the last question. I'll get everything that's here to make the article on monday (I'll travel this weekend), so everyone has the chance to answer the past questions.

Before I post it, I'd like to say an interesting thing: we have different realities for "global warming". Seriously, here in Brazil although most of the people seem to give a shit about the environment, but because of pure ignorance. The media paints it as an absolute truth - really, nobody that sees TV, reads the newspaper, or even reads the internet news would doubt about the "factness" apearance of the global warming.

1) Brazilian discordians
2) A serial killer
3) Paris Hilton

1) Brazilian discordians

You're all excommunicated.

Or

Please come and play with us more often. We Discordians must stick apart, but that doesn't mean we can't hang together ;-)

2) A serial killer

Why, damnit! Why did you kill the Rabbit and Cap'n Crunch?!

Or

*I suppose it would depend on the method. If it was a sniper, I wouldn't be much interested... if it was something like Jack the Ripper or the Boston Strangler, I'd probably have a book of questions.*

3) Paris Hilton

Yes, I know that you're a skank, that's why I'm using two condoms.

Or

How did the realization that your family was famous affect you? (Apparently she had no idea how famous her family was until she saw a news headline about her parents divorce).  I would love to spend several days, weeks or months with someone like Paris, her experience of reality on this planet is one had by only a few individuals and I find that fascinating. There has to be something more than a dumb blonde inside her and I would love to be able to model her '4-circuits' to better understand the experience she has had.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Triple Zero

yeah, "model her 4 circuits" hur hur hur

hooplala

Quote from: Rev. Peterson Cekemp on September 20, 2007, 08:59:38 PMIf you have the chance, what'd you say to (or ask to...):

1) Brazilian discordians
2) A serial killer
3) Paris Hilton

A)  Does it itch when it grows back in?

B)  Shouldn't we be more worried about the others like you who AREN'T getting caught?

C)  What the fuck was with that pic of you holding Trout Mask Replica?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman