News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

Bars and Self-Identity

Started by AFK, September 21, 2007, 03:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

It was never my intention to propose that these self-identification bars are limiting.  Again, the idea is, when someone asks you, "Who Are You?", for many a certain set of ideas spring to mind.  Because it's how we identify ourself.  By definition, I would say that is a limited definition since one can't possibly contemplate all that defines the person all the time.  However, this doesn't, necessarily, entail that one is limited in how they exist, behave, live, etc.

However, there is POTENTIAL for limitation, and I've given an example of such earlier.  But there is also POTENTIAL for exploration when one realizes there are aspects of themselves, that have been exerting influnces, but that they've not recognize in earnest themselves.  That's when we need to examine what's going on between these self-identity (or self-defining if you prefer) so we can get a better bearing on where we should go or how we should act. 

It's always better to have more information when you don't have enough. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Iron Sulfide

the immediate impression i get from the bars metaphor is similar to LMNOs-

you are the prison, which can expend, contract or stay static, the bars are your ego and the spaces in between are the "Objective world" ; all we can "experience" of that objectivity is through those Ego Bars of identity and perception. of course, the prison metaphor is useful for describing the negative aspects, as it lends to the sense of the matter, but correlating positive/beneficial concepts seems awkward like the word "awkward."

i recommend Zazen meditation practices for weakening the bars. followed by reflective meditation to analyze the bars. after the two, corrective action seems to follow like water from the spring. of course, forcing someone into meditation isn't going to work, plain and simple, which is a shame, as i feel it's the best possible way to become aware of your own impediments.

on a note of irony, the Age of Reason told us that the mind was the last sanctuary of Freedom.
the future's response was to prove them wrong.
Ya' stupid Yank.