News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

Fashion Design: Steampunk

Started by Kaienne, September 25, 2007, 06:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourning Star

scree

If you take 'steampunk' super seriously, I think it might be time to take a deep breath and re-asses what really matters to you.

The people that seem to pull it off are at least a little aware of how silly and dorky it is and don't feel and is a glorious and noble institution that must be defended.

Though the outfit and the frantic defense of it is made me lol.  :lulz:

Don Coyote

I AM A BAD LITTLE GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 25, 2007, 04:02:00 PM
Quote from: Kaienne on September 25, 2007, 03:58:56 PM
:fnord:

Looks like I've made you happy, too.

That's nice.

Although, it may be an indicator of your personal hygine.

Incidentally, where are you posting from right now?

Oh, LMNO.  You make me sad.

And yes, I am SO bored that I am going back to ancient posts and grammar-Nazi-ing.
Molon Lube

navkat

I don't understand...so Kai...REAL Kai is BMW and Kai but not Kaienne who was impersonating Kai for Kai?

And the person pretending to be Kai is a female (born male) transgen and the real Kai is a male (born fem) transgen?

I am seriously confused. Not that I care who identifies as which, I just want to make sure I don't accidentally make a mistake and call someone "he" if they identify as a "she" and visa-versa.

Q. G. Pennyworth

All I know is this

QuoteThe word Steampunk describes the world setting in which things that are adjective to it appear.

was AWESOME.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mildly Retarded Hustla was the BEST.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: navkat on April 14, 2012, 05:58:09 AM
I don't understand...so Kai...REAL Kai is BMW and Kai but not Kaienne who was impersonating Kai for Kai?

And the person pretending to be Kai is a female (born male) transgen and the real Kai is a male (born fem) transgen?

I am seriously confused. Not that I care who identifies as which, I just want to make sure I don't accidentally make a mistake and call someone "he" if they identify as a "she" and visa-versa.

Kai is Kai/BMW. Kai is a male who is pretty and feminine, which is often referred to as "transgender" because for some reason our lame-ass polarizing society has decided that you can't act or feel feminine unless you're "really" female and/or have something wrong with you. As far as I know, Kai doesn't really care which pronoun you use. I usually go with "he" just because it's biologically accurate and Kai is a biologist.

Kaienne is an attention-whoring douche. Kai is not a douche.

Kai and Kaienne collaborated on one post in this thread for trolling purposes. That is all.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

navkat

Okay.
I'm in the habit of referring to people by the pronoun with which they most accuratly feel identifies them.  I believed Kai biologically female and *later* became aware of her transgen status. That's where the confusion started. All this time, I was kind of annoyed with myself bc over the internet, it's hard to get more than the dimmest picture of what someone feeeeels like (and her avatar is a scribble-girl holding an apple) so everytime I found myself saying "her," I was mentally kicking myself in the head the way one would for horribly mangling the pronunciation of someone's name except, I was pro-noun-ciating her identity. (There's an etymology roadtrip).

Now I don't have to feel guilty anymore for seeing Kai as the apple-girl! Yay!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: navkat on April 14, 2012, 08:42:56 PM
Okay.
I'm in the habit of referring to people by the pronoun with which they most accuratly feel identifies them.  I believed Kai biologically female and *later* became aware of her transgen status. That's where the confusion started. All this time, I was kind of annoyed with myself bc over the internet, it's hard to get more than the dimmest picture of what someone feeeeels like (and her avatar is a scribble-girl holding an apple) so everytime I found myself saying "her," I was mentally kicking myself in the head the way one would for horribly mangling the pronunciation of someone's name except, I was pro-noun-ciating her identity. (There's an etymology roadtrip).

Now I don't have to feel guilty anymore for seeing Kai as the apple-girl! Yay!

That's a scribble of Kai. That's basically what he looks like.

If he prefers she, I'll gladly use it, but unless I missed something he doesn't necessarily identify as female and has never stated a preference, so probably either is fine. I don't think it's necessary to identify someone as "transgender" just because they have a dongle and identify as a pretty princess, or because they have a port and identify as a macho macho man. IMO it just creates another "other" category to pigeonhole people into, another "us" vs. "them". Besides, I personally dislike the inherent pathologizing of people who "act the wrong gender". As if it's a disorder.

If people want to put themselves in that pigeonhole, fine. I prefer the idea of defying a coercive society by insisting that it's OK and not a disorder if my son wants to wear dresses and be pretty and soft and sweet, or whatever other permutation of "gender" expression he is comfortable with, without social pressure to deny his biological reality.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Nigel on April 15, 2012, 01:54:48 AM

If he prefers she, I'll gladly use it, but unless I missed something he doesn't necessarily identify as female and has never stated a preference, so probably either is fine. I don't think it's necessary to identify someone as "transgender" just because they have a dongle and identify as a pretty princess, or because they have a port and identify as a macho macho man. IMO it just creates another "other" category to pigeonhole people into, another "us" vs. "them". Besides, I personally dislike the inherent pathologizing of people who "act the wrong gender". As if it's a disorder.

If people want to put themselves in that pigeonhole, fine. I prefer the idea of defying a coercive society by insisting that it's OK and not a disorder if my son wants to wear dresses and be pretty and soft and sweet, or whatever other permutation of "gender" expression he is comfortable with, without social pressure to deny his biological reality.

All biological impracticality aside, I want to have your babies.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on April 15, 2012, 02:07:22 AM
Quote from: Nigel on April 15, 2012, 01:54:48 AM

All biological impracticality aside, I want to have your babies.

Aw! <3

navkat

This raises an interesting topic for me since volunteering in the GLBT Activism community, I'd learned always to respect how a transgender identifies. There have been plenty of ladies who have to "Go native" for work and family to whom they aren't "out" and the rule of thumb there has always been "don't out them if you run into them in bio."

I have not had the challenge of integrating with someone truly androgynous and usually feel comfortable asking "how would you prefer I address you?" if I'm not sure but that's easier to do in person because you're usually in the situation where the lady or gentleman is in a social, sharing mood. On the internet, it's a little trickier because I feel it necessary to allow people the grace of relative anonymity and selective revelation. Even if they're posting publicly, if the main people with whom they're conversing are such that I can reasonably expect they have a closer relationship with each other, I don't assume I'm part of the conversation enough to pry. I have to gauge that a little longer.

navkat

I dated a man who liked to wear skirts and makeup because it was aesthetically pleasing to him but he very much identified as male. I totally get what you mean about that, BTW. I didn't want you to think it went over my head.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

If someone says they are a woman or a man, I do not care what their parts are, because "man" and "woman" are essentially gender roles in our current dominant society. I have a lot of issues with the forcing of sex-tied gender, especially where it comes to the profitable consumer product of sex-reassignment and transgenderism, but if someone says "I am a man" or "I am a woman" I am not necessarily interested in whether that is because they are biologically male or female, whether I meet them online or in the flesh. Their preferred presentation is all I need to go on.

I will, however, call someone on attention-whoring via sex/gender issues. Talking about it in terms of processing the concepts when a person is struggling with living a life that is contrary to cultural indoctrination is not the same thing as attention-whoring, and unfortunately in some ways transgender is the new, more shocking bisexual for troubled kids who need attention. The thing that I find most distressing about it is that it is so relatively easy, and encouraged, for people to physically harm themselves in a socially-accepted new way that can have long-term deleterious effects on their physical well-being, in order to fit in with the newly pathologized condition of "transsexualism".

If I do go into epidemiology, it's likely that I will write about this, and I anticipate a huge pushback from the medical establishment, especially because the program I want into is at OHSU, which is a huge center for gender reassignment surgery in this region.