News:

PD.com: You wont believe our bullshit

Main Menu

Fashion Design: Steampunk

Started by Kaienne, September 25, 2007, 06:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Steampunk is everywhere all of a sudden. It's like grunge in 1991. Crazy.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Actually, I'm amazed it's still around.  I remember seeing it 6 years ago in the clubs.

I suppose it's finally coming above ground, which means you will soon be able to find it in Macy's...

Suu

A lot of places have already started with the Victorian/Edwardian revival. If they start making real corsets fully fashionable again though, I'm totally in.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

If corsets become fashionable again, fuck it, I'm in.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on February 04, 2008, 07:58:08 PM
Actually, I'm amazed it's still around.  I remember seeing it 6 years ago in the clubs.

I suppose it's finally coming above ground, which means you will soon be able to find it in Macy's...

That's exactly what I mean by grunge in 1991...  :lulz:

1991 was when designers and news media caught onto the "grunge scene" and it started appearing as a fashion statement in department store windows. By then it had been around forever and everyone IN the "scene" was already over it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

B_M_W

I just think the traditionalist, nostaglist and craftsperson in me finds steampunk aesthetically pleasing on a deep level. The whole building of technology by hand and the skill required as opposed to the largely uniform machine assembly lines of today....its interesting and fullfilling things. I like making things, and I take pride in a project well done. I also like the look of brass, and minimalism, and I'm a bit old fashioned about some things.

You get the idea.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

AFK

I've never really been one to get into fashion stuff.  I kind of happened into the grunge thing by accident because in my neck of the woods it was already pretty common to wear flannel and denim, cause it is pretty comfortable and can keep one warm.  In fact, my non-professional/work attire probably still falls into that arbitrary genre.  Basically I'm all about anything I can get for cheap.  Maybe I can start a new fad.  Thriftpunk.   :D
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Quote from: B_M_W on February 05, 2008, 01:52:00 AM
I just think the traditionalist, nostaglist and craftsperson in me finds steampunk aesthetically pleasing on a deep level. The whole building of technology by hand and the skill required as opposed to the largely uniform machine assembly lines of today....its interesting and fullfilling things. I like making things, and I take pride in a project well done. I also like the look of brass, and minimalism, and I'm a bit old fashioned about some things.

You get the idea.

I get ya.  I'm not opposed to the steampunk ideal, I just worry about what it will turn into when commercialized.

Cain

It will turn into 18 year old girls in corsets in clubs.

LMNO

I thought goth already took care of that.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

Cain

Yeah, but then I'd have to go to a goth club.

No goth clubs around here.

B_M_W

Quote from: LMNO on February 05, 2008, 01:37:38 PM
Quote from: B_M_W on February 05, 2008, 01:52:00 AM

You get the idea.

I get ya.  I'm not opposed to the steampunk ideal, I just worry about what it will turn into when commercialized.

Then we can start using the phrase "Steampunk is dead!"
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Cain

LMNO

"I was into Steampunk before it was cool!"
  \
:gheyforum:

Jasper

It's almost like society is starting to think scientific things are COOL.

(I know Steampunk isn't strictly scientific, but it's science-themed.)