Credible evidence of Erisian worship in Ancient Greece

Started by Cain, October 11, 2007, 04:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mangrove

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Cain

Thanks.  I'm talking about this with Bantuathaid on EB&G, and she reckons this evidence is conclusive enough even for Pagan Reconstructionists.  Which is very interesting.  Admittedly we still know virtually nothing about what her worship would actually entail, though some Unsubstantiated Personal Gnosis may come into play at some point (hell, I'll give it a go, if I get bored enough).

LMNO

Cain, even hearing second hand about you possibly receiving Gnosis is enough to give me an erection.

Cain

Quote from: LMNO on October 11, 2007, 07:13:14 PM
Cain, even hearing second hand about you possibly receiving Gnosis is enough to give me an erection.

Personally, I think that is Recon speak for intuition and making it up.  The trick is to do tons of research into the other religions, social norms etc and then "guess" how a ritual would go.

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on October 11, 2007, 07:15:49 PM

Personally, I think that is Recon speak for intuition and making it up.  The trick is to do tons of research into the other religions, social norms etc and then "guess" how a ritual would go.

Hey!  Stop giving away SSOOKN secrets!

Mangrove

Quote from: LMNO on October 11, 2007, 07:16:27 PM
Quote from: Cain on October 11, 2007, 07:15:49 PM

Hey!  Stop giving away SSOOKN secrets!

It's ok. Everytime someone reveals one of our secrets, I contact the 'secret chiefs of the great white brotherhood' and they give me new ones.

Then I take the 'old' secrets and make them part of the outer order, low level teachings and reserve all the really new, secret cool stuff for the higher adepts.

Metaphysical conveyor belt baby!

LMNO

Mangrove

rabidpigmy

Cain, I admire you. This has certainly made my day. 'Nuff said.

hooplala

Cain, you are my fucking hero.  No joke.

Quote from: I Am Not A Rhombus on October 11, 2007, 05:00:06 PM
Is Eris actually meant to be black, then?

All art I've seen of her has her as pale... and with either red or blonde hair.

I've seen lots of ancient Greek pieces of art which depict figures as black who probably weren't, Herakles and Orpheus to name two examples . . . and the image of Eris I use on my blog doesn't depict her as either black or hideous . . . at least I don't consider her hideous here . . . In fact she looks a lot like contemporary images of Kleopatra . . . http://baronvonhoopla.blogspot.com

Also:  Anyone know if Blackthorn is easy to obtain, I mean in a store, or is it pretty rare in the landmass commonly referred to as North America?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Hoops, it looks like it's both native to Europe, and more shrub-like, so I'm guessing it's not that easy to find. 

But I'd go to a greenhouse/landscaper and ask, just to be sure.

B_M_W

You forgot the depiction of Enyo on the Pergammon Altar Freeze (sp), amongst the other gods, fighting the titans, spear in one hand, about to stab a frightened beast-titan held in the other.

White marble, though, so no color.

Edit: Altar wasn't found in Greece, but Asia Minor.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Cain

But that was a decorative piece, and not actually tied in ritually to any sort of religious ceremony.  Also, it was Asia Minor, where they had funny ideas anyway (lots of cultural crossover).

B_M_W

Yeah, realized that AFTER I posted....

Well, it WAS an altar to the gods, so maybe not just a decorative piece.

Good find Cain, in any case. Its something you've suspected all along.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

B_M_W

Shit, Cain...if you got some sort of Gnosis, I would totally buy a Lyre and write music for it.

And by it, I mean, whatever ceremonies you think up.