News:

OK fuckers, let me out of here. I farted for you, what more do you want from me? Jesus fuck.

Main Menu

Bare Minimum BIP (a SSOOKN product)

Started by Mangrove, October 11, 2007, 08:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mangrove

Bare Minimum BIP as recovered from an ancient manuscript in the archives of SSOOKN.

1. What you think of as REALITY is, a collection of ideas and beliefs about REALITY. Many of the ideas you have about REALITY come from the culture in which you were raised and have accumulated haphazardly over time.

2. This, in itself, is not a problem. The problem is in forgetting point number 1. When you forget point 1, you mistake your ideas about reality for being REALITY itself.  Of this, it has been said 'the menu is not the meal'. Please refrain from eating the menu. 

3. People who 'eat the menu' frequently become confused and annoyed when other people insist on seeing REALITY in a different way.  All that truly differs are their ideas and beliefs about REALITY.

4. Beliefs are just thoughts you keep having.

5. No living being is capable of perceiving all of REALITY, as all senses of perception are limited. Humans can only see, hear, smell, taste and feel within certain parameters.  Information entering our senses undergoes compression, filtration, distortion, before interpretation.  Interpretation is what happens when information meets your 'beliefs'.

6. For no good reason, we call this composite of Being & Biological Limits THE BLACK IRON PRISON and is a metaphor about existence. It means that there is very little you can do about biology however you can choose what becomes part of your beliefs. (Always keeping point 1 in mind). 

7. Each person exists within their own, unique BIP 'cell'. The cell is composed of: 

a) Biological limits – these are largely unchangeable.
b) Belief systems – these are highly changeable. 

Because of (a) the BIP cell cannot be escaped.
Because of (b) your life experience, your 'cell', can be altered drastically. This is what we try to call 'reconstruction'. 

8. A life long commitment to continual reconstruction is known, ironically, as 'The Jail Break'.  Reconstruction is HARD WORK.

9. The collection of beliefs, thoughts, notions etc that form your cell are all equally VALID, though none are TRUE in the sense that they "are" REALITY. However, some beliefs and ideas are more useful than others in specific situations. It is up to the individual to decide which beliefs and ideas they should employ in a given situation. 

10. Some people believe that the term BLACK IRON PRISON is dark, bleak, depressing and even frightening.  If you prefer, use the term GOLDEN SPHERE of POSSIBILITY (GSP) instead. It means exactly the same thing as BIP and all points still apply. 

11. BIP (or GSP) can be philosophical antidote to dogmatism.

You are cordially invited to a Jail Break.

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Cramulus

Mangrove

It's a joint Mangrove/LMNO production.

The idea was to condense things down as much as possible. I like to think of it as a companion to LMNO's 'Hey Kid...' piece.

Of course, it's open to further revision. If anyone can improvements, we're all ears.

LMNO

I just noticed a couple of punctuation issues, I'll deal with them when I care enough.

AFK

mega kudos.  And at an 11pt font it fits on one page.  I think this needs to go up on the wiki, that is, when the SSOOKN folks deem it ready. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mangrove

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 11, 2007, 08:27:22 PM
mega kudos.  And at an 11pt font it fits on one page.  I think this needs to go up on the wiki, that is, when the SSOOKN folks deem it ready. 

ready is when LMNO cares enough to fix the punctuation.

LMNO

It's 3:30 pm.   Remind me again at 7:45 am.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

You may want to differentiate between REALITY and REALITY in the first couple points. Maybe Reality and REALITY or reality and Reality or something...
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

LMNO

Actually, REALITY in all the all-caps instances, means all of the Universe, percieved and not-percieved, in every instance.

Unless you can point to a use of REALITY we missed, of course.

Mangrove

AFK

I don't usually check in until 8:30.  Maybe we can get one of the Scotts to remind him. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mangrove

I suppose that if if it really bothered me, I could set my alarm.

But I won't.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on October 11, 2007, 08:47:36 PM
Actually, REALITY in all the all-caps instances, means all of the Universe, percieved and not-percieved, in every instance.

Unless you can point to a use of REALITY we missed, of course.

I stand corrected, I misread the first point and conflated the two realities.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Payne

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 11, 2007, 08:58:04 PM
I don't usually check in until 8:30.  Maybe we can get one of the Scotts to remind him. 

Cramulus