News:

Goddammit.  Another truckload of bees.

Main Menu

Bare Minimum BIP (a SSOOKN product)

Started by Mangrove, October 11, 2007, 08:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Quote from: Mangrove on October 11, 2007, 08:08:53 PM
Bare Minimum BIP as recovered from an ancient manuscript in the archives of SSOOKN.

1. What you think of as REALITY is, a collection of ideas and beliefs about REALITY. Many of the ideas you have about REALITY come from the culture in which you were raised and have accumulated haphazardly over time.

2. This, in itself, is not a problem. The problem is in forgetting point number 1. When you forget point 1, you mistake your ideas about reality for being REALITY itself.  Of this, it has been said 'the menu is not the meal'. Please refrain from eating the menu. 

3. People who 'eat the menu' frequently become confused and annoyed when other people insist on seeing REALITY in a different way.  All that truly differs are their ideas and beliefs about REALITY.

4. Beliefs are just thoughts you keep having.

5. No living being is capable of perceiving all of REALITY, as all senses of perception are limited. Humans can only see, hear, smell, taste and feel within certain parameters.  Information entering our senses undergoes compression, filtration, distortion, before interpretation.  Interpretation is what happens when information meets your 'beliefs'.

6. For no good reason, we call this composite of Being & Biological Limits THE BLACK IRON PRISON and is a metaphor about existence. It means that there is very little you can do about biology however you can choose what becomes part of your beliefs. (Always keeping point 1 in mind). 

7. Each person exists within their own, unique BIP 'cell'. The cell is composed of: 

a) Biological limits – these are largely unchangeable.
b) Belief systems – these are highly changeable. 

Because of (a) the BIP cell cannot be escaped.
Because of (b) your life experience, your 'cell', can be altered drastically. This is what we try to call 'reconstruction'. 

8. A life long commitment to continual reconstruction is known, ironically, as 'The Jail Break'.  Reconstruction is HARD WORK.

9. The collection of beliefs, thoughts, notions etc that form your cell are all equally VALID, though none are TRUE in the sense that they "are" REALITY. However, some beliefs and ideas are more useful than others in specific situations. It is up to the individual to decide which beliefs and ideas they should employ in a given situation. 

10. Some people believe that the term BLACK IRON PRISON is dark, bleak, depressing and even frightening.  If you prefer, use the term GOLDEN SPHERE of POSSIBILITY (GSP) instead. It means exactly the same thing as BIP and all points still apply. 

11. BIP (or GSP) can be philosophical antidote to dogmatism.

You are cordially invited to a Jail Break.

That is fucking beautiful.

Amen.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mangrove

Payne - WOMP =  :lulz:

Hoopla - Thanks, man.

I have no design skills, tools or software, nor could I turn anything into an easily printable flyer. So, if anyone wants to turn the text into a work of art for distribution, then please do so.

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

LMNO

Good morning!

Bare Minimum BIP as recovered from an ancient manuscript in the archives of SSOOKN.

1. What you think of as REALITY is a collection of ideas and beliefs about REALITY. Many of the ideas you have about REALITY come from the culture in which you were raised and have accumulated haphazardly over time.

2. This, in itself, is not a problem. The problem is in forgetting point number 1. When you forget point 1, you mistake your ideas about reality for being REALITY itself.  Of this, it has been said 'the menu is not the meal'. Please refrain from eating the menu.

3. People who 'eat the menu' frequently become confused and annoyed when other people insist on seeing REALITY in a different way.  All that truly differs are their ideas and beliefs about REALITY.

4. Beliefs are just thoughts you keep having.

5. No living being is capable of perceiving all of REALITY, as all senses of perception are limited. Humans can only see, hear, smell, taste and feel within certain parameters.  Information entering our senses undergoes compression, filtration, and distortion, before interpretation.  Interpretation is what happens when information meets your 'beliefs'.

6. For no good reason, we call this composite of Belief & Biological Limits THE BLACK IRON PRISON and is a metaphor about existence. It means that there is very little you can do about biology; however, you can choose what becomes part of your beliefs. (Always keeping point 1 in mind).

7. Each person exists within their own, unique BIP 'cell'. The cell is composed of:

a) Biological limits – these are largely unchangeable.
b) Belief systems – these are highly changeable.

Because of (a) the BIP cell cannot be escaped.
Because of (b) your life experience, your 'cell', can be altered drastically. This is what we try to call 'reconstruction'.

8. A life long commitment to continual reconstruction is known, ironically, as 'The Jail Break'.  Reconstruction is HARD WORK.

9. The collection of beliefs, thoughts, notions etc that form your cell are all equally VALID, though none are TRUE in the sense that they "are" REALITY. However, some beliefs and ideas are more useful than others in specific situations. It is up to the individual to decide which beliefs and ideas they should employ in a given situation.

10. Some people believe that the term BLACK IRON PRISON is dark, bleak, depressing and even frightening.  If you prefer, use the term GOLDEN SPHERE of POSSIBILITY (GSP) instead. It means exactly the same thing as BIP and all points still apply.

11. BIP (or GSP) can be philosophical antidote to dogmatism.

You are cordially invited to a Jail Break.

Mangrove

Cain

I tried to do an audio version of this...an hour and a half later, I'm still not convinced my voice isn't too nasally (blocked nose).

But anyway, here it is.

http://www.mediafire.com/?bexcyjswzll

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cain on October 14, 2007, 12:03:29 PM
I tried to do an audio version of this...an hour and a half later, I'm still not convinced my voice isn't too nasally (blocked nose).

But anyway, here it is.

http://www.mediafire.com/?bexcyjswzll

Not bad. It's a little bit nasally, but not so much that it distracts from what you're saying.

Cain

Thanks.  Yeah, I'm really hoping this clears tomorrow or the day after.  I've already gone through 4 packs of tissues in as many days, its starting to eat into my bribery budget.

Mangrove

BUMP

In case some talented individual sees this and adds it to the BIP wiki.

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

NWC

Thanks for the bump. I have a friend who is in dire need of reading th BIP, but she's lazy as fuck. She read the first page, said, "this thing sounds PERFECT for me! Thank you!" and never got past the first page.
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

Mangrove

AFK

Requia ☣

Quote from: Payne on October 11, 2007, 10:12:45 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 11, 2007, 08:58:04 PM
I don't usually check in until 8:30.  Maybe we can get one of the Scotts to remind him. 

And thus, six months passed before wikification took place.  That is an awesome pic though
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

AFK

Yeah, so if you want me to add anything else you might want to get your requests in soon.   :D

Verbal Mike

This has been yoinked for the pamphlet appendix. OK?
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.