News:

Mr Rogers is above all that nonsense.

Main Menu

Discordian Dates, Etc.

Started by hooplala, October 16, 2007, 11:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nostalgicBadger

I ported ddate to Second Life actually. Coding it in LSL ended up being a little bit awkward, and I guess I could have just made a web page that displays the date and used an http request to grab the date from the web page, but that would have been cheating or something and would not have taken nearly as long.

The calendar is one of the only bits of Discordian dogma that I particularly like, although I never really bother with the days of the week, and only because doing so becomes too impractical. I tend not to do things every [ certain day ] of the month, and if I do, it's only once a month and not too difficult to convert to the Discordian seasons, but I do have certain classes every Monday, Wednesday and Friday or Tuesday and Thursday and I work certain days and so forth. I do like devising ways to celebrate holidays, and somehow using a different calendar also makes it easier to make up my own holidays.

My only concern with using the calendar openly is that someone might get the impression that I am doing it to seem different, a practice which I sort of abhor, and I think the key here is in the approach. I use the Discordian calendar pretty openly and even write the date in that format on my papers, but I never actually acknowledge that I am doing this this or that there is anything unusual about it. If anybody asks me why I wrote the date in an unusual fashion, I tend to look confused and ask them what they're talking about, which generally baffles the person, and this, I think, is more true to the tradition than the calendar itself.
meh.

Verbal Mike

Well, I think the most traditional approach to implementing this calendar is to flat out ignore it.
But yours is a close second!
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

hooplala

I demand you all use my calendar.

That is all.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman