News:

TESTEMONAIL:  Right and Discordianism allows room for personal interpretation. You have your theories and I have mine. Unlike Christianity, Discordia allows room for ideas and opinions, and mine is well-informed and based on ancient philosophy and theology, so, my neo-Discordian friends, open your minds to my interpretation and I will open my mind to yours. That's fair enough, right? Just claiming to be discordian should mean that your mind is open and willing to learn and share ideas. You guys are fucking bashing me and your laughing at my theologies and my friends know what's up and are laughing at you and honestly this is my last shot at putting a label on my belief structure and your making me lose all hope of ever finding a ideological group I can relate to because you don't even know what the fuck I'm talking about and everything I have said is based on the founding principals of real Discordianism. Expand your mind.

Main Menu

Discordian Dates, Etc.

Started by hooplala, October 16, 2007, 11:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

I've been noticing that almost every Discordian site uses the standard Discordian dating system - is this not sort of missing the point of Discordianism?

I made up my own calendar over a year ago, nothing special, but I can say its mine.

Thoughts?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

Not the same issue, but certainly related:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deVlk0p9chU

These people have obviously gone through a lot of trouble and effort to make this video, but would it not be more rewarding to create their own methods of convincing people, rather than simply restate the PD??

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

PopeTom

Everyone has to start somewhere, and many times that somewhere is rehashing stuff that seems to have worked before.

At least that kind of how I learned to dance.
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

PopeTom

Well, in those pants you'd have to.
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

hooplala

I certainly bought Discordianism at face value when I first became interested, but one of the first things I did was to write up my Burnig Bush Revelations . . . I wanted my own stuff to give people, not 'official' documents. 

I wish I could follow up with these people after a year or so . . .

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

I never use the Discordian calendar.

To me, it was never worth the time to remember the system and how it correlates, because I didn't think the joke was that funny.

Sure, today's date is arbitrary, and is founded on the erroneous birth of Christ.  I learned that in high school. So what?

AFK

I see the Discordian calendar as one of those things Discordians use to identify with other Discordians.  Huh?

It's like, "Hey look we're different.  But, we're different together." 

After all, Discordians are still human.  They still want to belong to something.  The symbolism of calendars and five-fingered hands of Eris are that warm and fuzzy safety blanket. 

I guess OUR warm and fuzzy safety blanket is that most of us are kind of sick of that stuff. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cain

My warm and fuzzy security blanket is a bottle of scotch and Fox News.

Cramulus

I use the Discordian calendar when I need to sound over-the-top in explaining why I'm taking a day off from work.

"Yeah, our holy book requires a day of phasting* on the 55th day of every month, you know how it goes." Usually they're so weirded out they don't ask what religion I'm talking about. Nor would they get it if I told them anyway.

BTW - The video clip you posted is from Forteetu, who sometimes posts here when he's not busy putting together festivals or something.

*pronounced "fasting" but means something else entirely.

Cain

Forteetu is a pretty cool dude, IMO.  I'll have to watch the video now.

AFK

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on October 17, 2007, 02:55:07 PM
I use the Discordian calendar when I need to sound over-the-top in explaining why I'm taking a day off from work.

"Yeah, our holy book requires a day of phasting* on the 55th day of every month, you know how it goes." Usually they're so weirded out they don't ask what religion I'm talking about. Nor would they get it if I told them anyway.

BTW - The video clip you posted is from Forteetu, who sometimes posts here when he's not busy putting together festivals or something.

*pronounced "fasting" but means something else entirely.

Back when we were both doing the Retail Hell thing, Chuck and I would put the Holy Days on the store's calendar and then make up some screwy rituals to perform during our break.  I'm still baffled to this day why we were never written up, let alone fired. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I tend to use it in online site stuff because the calendar already exists in Linux (Linux command "ddate") and I can pull and display something overtly Discordian in about three lines of PHP.

I think there's something to be said for the existence of the Discordian Calendar existing on 50% of the web servers currently active on the net. (and the DNS servers, SMTP servers, etc etc etc).
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Triple Zero

this is truth. my terminal window at the university still greets me with it every time :-D [/nerd]
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on October 16, 2007, 11:03:00 PM
I've been noticing that almost every Discordian site uses the standard Discordian dating system - is this not sort of missing the point of Discordianism?

I made up my own calendar over a year ago, nothing special, but I can say its mine.

Thoughts?

It's today.  It's just like any other day.  Everyone got dumber and everyone got meaner and nobody laughed and nobody cared and all I can dream about is the day the power finally runs out and all the fucking primates get eaten by the triumphant coyotes who will finally get their day at the top of the food chain.

Amen.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.