News:

Can anyone ever be sufficiently committed to Sparkle Motion?

Main Menu

Roger Flyers — US Release

Started by ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞, October 29, 2007, 11:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: LMNO on December 01, 2009, 02:42:20 PM
I can only work with the information with which I am provided.  If someone chooses not to provide that information, I can not be at fault.

Also, if you notice, I did not name anyone in the above post; I may have been referring to someone other than you.

By utilizing a mirror, you may become aware that while it may feel like you covered your hindquarters with the above post, that the substrate you implemented was indeed transparent, good sir.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

LMNO

The above two posts from you are a very good example of why I didn't really want to get involved with your sticky little mess.

I'm guessing you also complain about your local garbagemen, who come to clear away your mess?

Triple Zero

Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on December 01, 2009, 03:13:52 AM
You may also get into some trouble with Adobe if you continue to make those available for legal reasons I won't go into.

I wonder, if that's about fonts, the type in PDFs is stored as outlines, which is not copyrighted. The font-file, being software, used to create those outlines, is (but that is on your computer, not in the PDF).

Then of course, there's the tricky question about withdrawing copyrights, which is in fact not at all possible. Once you give it, it is no longer yours to take back. For instance, back when everything was okay I had printed out several of those flyers. I still have a couple left. They are still legal for me to put up whereever I want on the streets. Now if I were to print off a couple of new ones from the pack I just downloaded via MS's link, there's no way to tell if they hadn't been from the ones I had left over, or copies of those. Which is why, even if you magically could tell, it is legal for me to do so.

The same case can naturally be made for MS's digital copies, which he grabbed way back when it was okay for him to do so, and okay to repost with attribution. He had the right to do so back then, and not even if you are the creator of the work, you cannot change or take away this right from him. Unless you distributed those flyers with a very tricksy license, but even then--at least in my jurisdiction--it would be questionable if that carried any legal weight.

In short, you can ask us very nicely if we would please not distribute those flyers in any form anymore, ever. But you cannot claim any legal rights withdrawing our rights to do with those flyers what you allowed us to do with them, from the moment you first posted them.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Quote from: Triple Zero on December 01, 2009, 03:07:58 PM
Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on December 01, 2009, 03:13:52 AM
You may also get into some trouble with Adobe if you continue to make those available for legal reasons I won't go into.

I wonder, if that's about fonts, the type in PDFs is stored as outlines, which is not copyrighted. The font-file, being software, used to create those outlines, is (but that is on your computer, not in the PDF).

Then of course, there's the tricky question about withdrawing copyrights, which is in fact not at all possible. Once you give it, it is no longer yours to take back. For instance, back when everything was okay I had printed out several of those flyers. I still have a couple left. They are still legal for me to put up whereever I want on the streets. Now if I were to print off a couple of new ones from the pack I just downloaded via MS's link, there's no way to tell if they hadn't been from the ones I had left over, or copies of those. Which is why, even if you magically could tell, it is legal for me to do so.

The same case can naturally be made for MS's digital copies, which he grabbed way back when it was okay for him to do so, and okay to repost with attribution. He had the right to do so back then, and not even if you are the creator of the work, you cannot change or take away this right from him. Unless you distributed those flyers with a very tricksy license, but even then--at least in my jurisdiction--it would be questionable if that carried any legal weight.

In short, you can ask us very nicely if we would please not distribute those flyers in any form anymore, ever. But you cannot claim any legal rights withdrawing our rights to do with those flyers what you allowed us to do with them, from the moment you first posted them.

Nope.

I don't need to create a tricksy license for me to control my copyright. The opposite is true, you would have needed ME to sign a tricksy license for you to have more control over my work than me.

I made no unconditional transfer of rights to anyone at any time. Unless I signed a contract with someone otherwise, my creative work defaults to me without any need to declare it.

There is an easy way to tell whether you and others have downloaded the fliers after the time I revoked my consent for their distribution. You don't have my permission to distribute or reproduce my PDF files. If you have the files from when I gave consent that doesn't mean you can copy it to a file transfer service now and make it publicly available. 

There is no "withdrawing" of copyright since I never transfered it or ceded interest in it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on December 01, 2009, 02:38:21 PM
I did try to contact MS.

He hasn't logged in since yesterday morning.

But, thanks for the nasty assumptions, you honorable, honorable chap.

"Honor" defined as "take someone else's work, format it, and then claim the results as strictly your own".
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on December 01, 2009, 02:57:02 PM
Quote from: LMNO on December 01, 2009, 02:42:20 PM
I can only work with the information with which I am provided.  If someone chooses not to provide that information, I can not be at fault.

Also, if you notice, I did not name anyone in the above post; I may have been referring to someone other than you.

By utilizing a mirror, you may become aware that while it may feel like you covered your hindquarters with the above post, that the substrate you implemented was indeed transparent, good sir.

Mr Pot, meet Mr Kettle.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Quote from: LMNO on December 01, 2009, 03:02:15 PM
The above two posts from you are a very good example of why I didn't really want to get involved with your sticky little mess.

I'm guessing you also complain about your local garbagemen, who come to clear away your mess?

You could have refrained from comment if you really wanted to stay out of it.

And no, garbage men around here don't make unwarranted snide remarks and then backpedal when they're called on it.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 01, 2009, 04:00:31 PM
I did try to contact MS.

"Honor" defined as "take someone else's work, format it, and then claim the results as strictly your own".

I never claimed your writing as my own as I didn't write it.

You cannot claim the PDF file as you did not design it.

LMNO

Sorry, br'er rabbit, not gonna play.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on December 01, 2009, 04:04:40 PM
I did try to contact MS.

You cannot claim the PDF file as you did not generate the content.

This is an additional reason why I agree with you concerning MS's link.  Before it was just on principle, but now I dont ever want those PDFs to see the light of day.  You no longer have permission to use my content in them, in the exact same manner you are refusing to allow anyone to use the PDF itself.  Please destroy all copies you have, and I will ask MS to do the same.

I will have someone else (or just myself) do them again, and the problem will cease being an issue.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 01, 2009, 04:12:34 PM
I did try to contact MS.

This is an additional reason why I agree with you concerning MS's link.  Before it was just on principle, but now I dont ever want those PDFs to see the light of day.  You no longer have permission to use my content in them, in the exact same manner you are refusing to allow anyone to use the PDF itself.  Please destroy all copies you have, and I will ask MS to do the same.

I will have someone else (or just myself) do them again, and the problem will cease being an issue.

Fine.

I'll destroy the PDFs and existing printed copies of the fliers.

You can delete FP's link in the Attribution thread too.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on December 01, 2009, 04:22:43 PM
I did try to contact MS.

This is an additional reason why I agree with you concerning MS's link.  Before it was just on principle, but now I dont ever want those PDFs to see the light of day.  You no longer have permission to use my content in them, in the exact same manner you are refusing to allow anyone to use the PDF itself.  Please destroy all copies you have, and I will ask MS to do the same.

Fine.

Certainly.  Where, precisely, is it?

Captain Utopia

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 01, 2009, 04:29:38 PM
Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on December 01, 2009, 04:22:43 PM
I did try to contact MS.

Fine.

Certainly.  Where, precisely, is it?
Gone.

The Good Reverend Roger

The Good Reverend Roger

Net, let's play a role playing game.  I'll be Germany, you be Russia.

Non-aggression pact for the moment, ya think?

FP can be Poland.  You take the right ass cheek, I'll take the left.  When he's toast, we can go back to pounding on each other.