News:

Discordianism:  It is some kind of a communist sect.

Main Menu

Roger Flyers — US Release

Started by ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞, October 29, 2007, 11:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 01, 2009, 04:55:36 PM
Net, let's play a role playing game.  I'll be Germany, you be Russia.

Non-aggression pact for the moment, ya think?

FP can be Poland.  You take the right ass cheek, I'll take the left.  When he's toast, we can go back to pounding on each other.

Deal.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Triple Zero

Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on December 01, 2009, 03:56:34 PM
I made no unconditional transfer of rights to anyone at any time.

then what did you do when you posted them first?

you intended us to download those PDFs, print them, and give them out to people and put them up on walls and stuff.

which are acts of copying and acts of distributing. together they form "copyright". so yeah, you implicitly granted us license of those rights.

you have power over your own work, but you have no power over the license someone has on a copy after you give it. well, you can add to those rights (being the creator of the design, for example granting rights to distribute in addition to copy), but you cannot take it away unless the license says so. and "you are free to print and distribute these flyers for as long as I feel like you can or until I get angry at Roger" just isn't the kind of assumed implicit license that comes with posting flyers and posters on a messageboard dedicated to (among other things) distributing flyers and posters.

that's why publishers don't really like work that's been published online before. because they can't get exclusive copyright anymore.

QuoteUnless I signed a contract with someone otherwise, my creative work defaults to me without any need to declare it.

yes.

Legally obtained copies of that work, however come with whatever license they were given with. In this case, the implicit license to copy, print and redistribute them. Because you posted a bunch of posters and flyers. For this forum. To print. And copy. And distribute.

QuoteThere is an easy way to tell whether you and others have downloaded the fliers after the time I revoked my consent for their distribution.

yeah? how?

QuoteIf you have the files from when I gave consent that doesn't mean you can copy it to a file transfer service now and make it publicly available.

That is arguably true. You intended them for print, and paper distribution. So making them publicly available digitally is, maybe, not an implied right when you posted those flyers. But I don't know for sure.

And before you say there is no such thing as an implied license. There has to be. Otherwise there would be no license. And anybody downloading, printing and distributing those flyers when you gave consent would have been violating your copyright. And you could sue all of them after the fact whenever you felt like it. Fortunately that is not how copyright works.

QuoteThere is no "withdrawing" of copyright since I never transfered it or ceded interest in it.

See above. If you did not transfer any copyright, nobody could have been legally downloading, printed and distributed those flyers back when you gave consent.

That is why there is implied license. So you don't have to give a license if you just wanna put up a link with your flyers. The implied license, however, is not temporary or subject to change at the whim of the creator. Just like any other license (that doesn't explicitly state so) isn't.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Triple Zero, let's just leave legalities aside for half a second, and talk about this on the community level, shall we?

While I disagree that the fliers are solely Nets, they are half his, IMO, for reasons discussed to death.  As such, if he wants them pulled, then fuck it, pull them. 

This is PD.  There is no profit margin, here.  There is a group of like-minded individuals, and things should be done on a basis of respect for our peers.  If someone wants to take their ball and go home, let them.

One thing we do NOT want to do is allow the board itself to have ANY ownership of content posted, as that opens us up to really NASTY problems, should anyone post anything illegal here.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

hooplala

Roger, if you are still interested I will redesign the flyer over the Xmas holiday, if only to shut Net up for good.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Hoopla on December 01, 2009, 10:46:29 PM
Roger, if you are still interested I will redesign the flyer over the Xmas holiday, if only to shut Net up for good.

Good

Mine didn't do Roger justice.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

The Good Reverend Roger

I'd like that a lot, Hoops.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

hooplala

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 02, 2009, 01:20:13 AM

I'd like that a lot, Hoops.

Consider it done. 
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Triple Zero

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 01, 2009, 05:18:04 PM
Triple Zero, let's just leave legalities aside for half a second, and talk about this on the community level, shall we?

yeah ok, those are the more important reasons anyway.

at that level, I have a couple of old prints, ragged flyers* in one of my discordia folders, that aren't supposed to exist  :? :lol:

*they are seriously years old and I carried them around everywhere, I printed off too many and somehow I go through cram's "exercise your right to be wrong" and "cats / robot internet people" posters a lot quicker (those two probably being my favourites).
Which reminds me, I also have quite a lot of your "The Con", that (IIRC) starts with "Tell yourself everything is okay.", I had formatted it quite nicely but I don't think I ever posted the formatted version (in fact never saved it, just hacked at the print page HTML of your forum post until it looked clean and pretty, and printed 50 copies). My point being, I should dig up that text and make a new PDF from it. It was just the right type of paranoid confusing truth I liked to hand out to people.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Triple Zero on December 03, 2009, 08:07:56 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 01, 2009, 05:18:04 PM

yeah ok, those are the more important reasons anyway.

at that level, I have a couple of old prints, ragged flyers* in one of my discordia folders, that aren't supposed to exist  :? :lol:

*they are seriously years old and I carried them around everywhere, I printed off too many and somehow I go through cram's "exercise your right to be wrong" and "cats / robot internet people" posters a lot quicker (those two probably being my favourites).
Which reminds me, I also have quite a lot of your "The Con", that (IIRC) starts with "Tell yourself everything is okay.", I had formatted it quite nicely but I don't think I ever posted the formatted version (in fact never saved it, just hacked at the print page HTML of your forum post until it looked clean and pretty, and printed 50 copies). My point being, I should dig up that text and make a new PDF from it. It was just the right type of paranoid confusing truth I liked to hand out to people.

Meh. 

Captain Utopia

Actually, I'm going to offer up a quick apology to Ne+@uNGr0+. As an archivist at heart, I hate to see any restriction of ideas or information, and I mistakenly thought that by being a dick to him that I could convince him to re-release the pdfs. This was both stupid and fanatical of me - sorry about that Ne+@uNGr0+.

East Coast Hustle

this whole thread is retarded, and every post in it is retarded including this one.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Ben Shapiro

<3 this thread! Where's the flyers?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Derrick Hogue on April 13, 2014, 01:36:01 AM
<3 this thread! Where's the flyers?

The guy who made them deleted them, for reasons that are probably left to history.