News:

He was a pretty good teacher, but he's also batshit insane and smells like ferret pee.

Main Menu

I think I just Liber Boomeranged in my pants

Started by LadybirdJohnson, November 29, 2007, 05:38:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadybirdJohnson

:x
40??!!!

or 41...

Do i get docked because I fucked up my count down?

35?

LMNO

It's usually not a good sign when people waste their free posts trying to get to the flames.

Just saying.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LadybirdJohnson on November 29, 2007, 09:03:42 PM
Hm...

Well I am a fucked up little cookie myself.

::Magic is really useful in effecting changes to your own perception and psychology... but you have to be on a pretty even keel to begin with.::

"Have to be"
As in for it to work or for it to be safe?

If a person is not graceful enough to dance, they will likely not be good at swordfighting, either because they will fail to properly parry and void, thus getting gutted, or they will stab themselves.

If a person can't ground themselves in everyday reality, then playing with their existing set of symbols or manipulating their perceptions could easily lead to screwing themsleves up far worse than they already were. In a thread over at POEE, someone mentioned the risk for Method Actors to lose control over their 'real' personality because they're always playing in other personalities. If one's control over their own psychology is already strained, it seems a bad idea to jump up and down on it with tubgirl.

<i>I meant that most people would be happier if they only realized that it is perfectly ok to not be happy all the time.  That and didn't we just decide that deciding that a emotion was "Bad" and then Repressing it was a bad thing?</i>

Oh... yep I agree with that.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cain

I can personally testify to the method acting risk, even though I wasn't the one who made the post.

I would agree that the problem is safety more than workability.  I come from an NLP/sociological viewpoint of what's happening, and so I tend to think that so long as your brain is not physically different to most other people, you can still effect the changes.  The problem is the strain on one's worldview/personality/ability to cope etc

rygD

Quote from: LadybirdJohnson on November 29, 2007, 06:50:58 PM
On a Side side side note
Any of you ever hear of a cult, "Foundation school" or something like that... What do you think of it if you have.  I think they have some pretty neat ritual...but wholly crap it's expensive.

So far it seems to be over priced watered down Zen with a Kick of discord... which is a nice combo but I can get it for free.

Is this what you want?
http://www.foundationschools.org/
:rbtg:

Quote from: rygD on March 07, 2007, 02:53:03 PM
...nuke Iraq and give it to the Jews...

LadybirdJohnson

It's usually not a good sign when people waste their free posts trying to get to the flames

Hmm... Well I was promised verbal abuse... Generally I like to get things like that out of the way.  No sense getting comfortable only to find that you were never welcome to begin with.   :wink: Besides, Waiting IS the hardest part.

Don't get me wrong when it comes to lasting postive self change from ANY mechanism the last thing it should be like is Banging.   :lulz:

I think our minds while Squishy to real pressure are very much like a beach ball sitting on the surface of the water.  But instead of more water on the other side of the surface there is a "Different mental state" so you can gently, slowly and consistently push that beach ball across the surface and into the other state where it will happily float on the opposing surface.  Kind of like passing through the looking glass... if my analogy is a bit messy.

So I KNOW that with time and effort you can pass threw to the other side as a completely different person.  Except you are Still the beach ball... and that is Still the surface of the water.  So nothing ever really changes.

I am not trying to be confusing... sorry.

You know I just have to say that I am apposed to this wording, "If a person can't ground themselves in everyday reality"

Specifically "Ground"

I am a highly ungrounded person, it's both my nature and my nurture... but I think that being Grounded is a highly unnatural state.  I think that comes from my background in eastern religions.  Neither who you are OR reality are solid, permanent, or stable.  How could you possibly expect to ground two things together that have such chaotic qualities.  I think trying too could make you madder then a hatter.  I know what you MENT, I just don't like how you said it.  Unless you really meant what you said in which case... I don't agree.

(Did you know that hatters were truly mad?  It is because they used... was it Eather to make the hats... to work the beaver pelts... or was it the formaldehyde?  4 points to who ever knows the name of the chemical!!)

Hm... have to say I like it here... nice to talk all Adult like.   :fnord:

RYGD: NO NO That isn't them... Dang it all!  I'll keep looking

LadybirdJohnson

:argh!: You Could always deflate the ball and then reinflate it on the other side.

I think that is why some people take lots of acid and then are never really the same again.

LMNO

The 50-post rule is fivefold:

1) Allows the newbie to get the pinealist out of their system.

2) Allows the rest of us a period of time to figure out where the noob is coming from.

Numbers 3 - 5 are secret.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LadybirdJohnson on November 30, 2007, 03:06:06 PM
It's usually not a good sign when people waste their free posts trying to get to the flames

Hmm... Well I was promised verbal abuse... Generally I like to get things like that out of the way.  No sense getting comfortable only to find that you were never welcome to begin with.   :wink: Besides, Waiting IS the hardest part.

Don't get me wrong when it comes to lasting postive self change from ANY mechanism the last thing it should be like is Banging.   :lulz:

I think our minds while Squishy to real pressure are very much like a beach ball sitting on the surface of the water.  But instead of more water on the other side of the surface there is a "Different mental state" so you can gently, slowly and consistently push that beach ball across the surface and into the other state where it will happily float on the opposing surface.  Kind of like passing through the looking glass... if my analogy is a bit messy.

So I KNOW that with time and effort you can pass threw to the other side as a completely different person.  Except you are Still the beach ball... and that is Still the surface of the water.  So nothing ever really changes.

I am not trying to be confusing... sorry.

You know I just have to say that I am apposed to this wording, "If a person can't ground themselves in everyday reality"

Specifically "Ground"

I am a highly ungrounded person, it's both my nature and my nurture... but I think that being Grounded is a highly unnatural state.  I think that comes from my background in eastern religions.  Neither who you are OR reality are solid, permanent, or stable.  How could you possibly expect to ground two things together that have such chaotic qualities.  I think trying too could make you madder then a hatter.  I know what you MENT, I just don't like how you said it.  Unless you really meant what you said in which case... I don't agree.

I think you're reading far more into the word ground than I intended. Perhaps I should have said "If you can't deal with reality on a regular basis, then you probably shouldn't get involved in magic". I have had many experiences while playing with magic, if I wasn't able to ground myself in reality before and after the event, it may have been easy to confuse my subjective experience with Objective Reality (whatever that might be). For example, once I had an out of body experience. If I couldn't ground myself in reality after the experience, I might (and I know many people who have) run around convinced that I REALLY ejected my soul out of my body and experienced this state and did things that were really real. Whereas, if I have some grounding in reality, once the experience is done, I can say "I experienced what appeared to me as an out of body experience, however it may have been...." I once invoked Therion and spent several minutes in a very strange trance like state, where observers saw me crawling around on all fours like a Beast. In my mind I was a beast, in a field... I could see the fur on my body, I could perceive my surroundings through the different heads of Therion.

If I were to be convinced (in my own mind) that this was REALLY REAL and REALLY Happened... then I risk becoming a crazy person. Thus one has to be able to return to some "normal" state (whatever that may be for themselves) and examine the experience through as many different filters as possible. (The "Maybe It Happened filter", the "It Was a Psychological Experiment filter", the "It was Self-Induced Hallucination filter", the "It was My UPG filter", or the "It Was Very Interesting and the Ritual Seems to Have effected a Result filter"). If I can't ground myself afterward, I may forget that all of those filters are probably true in some sense, false in some sense and meaningless in some sense. I may actually lock one of those filters in place as REALITY. That way lies a risk of serious madness.

(Did you know that hatters were truly mad?  It is because they used... was it Eather to make the hats... to work the beaver pelts... or was it the formaldehyde?  4 points to who ever knows the name of the chemical!!)

Mercury.

LMNO

Rat, loathe as I am to reference Castaneda, your post reminds me about his story about his first trip, where he thought he was communing with God, or whatever after taking peyote.

He asked the other indians in the group what "really" happened, and they said that while he was having this glorious mystical experience in his head, he was actually pissing on a dog.

Or something like that.  Castaneda was a fraud, anyway.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on November 30, 2007, 04:58:10 PM
Rat, loathe as I am to reference Castaneda, your post reminds me about his story about his first trip, where he thought he was communing with God, or whatever after taking peyote.

He asked the other indians in the group what "really" happened, and they said that while he was having this glorious mystical experience in his head, he was actually pissing on a dog.

Or something like that.  Castaneda was a fraud, anyway.

LOL, I read The Teachings of Don Juan before any of Carroll's, Hine's or even RAW's stuff. That was the best part... well that and the bit where he keeps freaking out when getting on a plane. (Whoops, fubar'd that reimprinting didn't ya Carlos!)

LadybirdJohnson

Yes yes yes I know and I agree with you... to an extent.

At some point I think it would be fine to stop experimenting pick an alteration, remove the filter, and do it.

I think you may find that the filter is MUCH harder to remove then you would think.  Stupid filter.
OR at least it would be for me.  With all of my talk of insubstantial-ness I have to admit I am Stupidly grounded (NO bad word!) I am going to go with Repressed.  Repressed is a very specific version of grounded, like all jays are birds but not all birds are jays, you can be grounded (in the sense we discussed) without being repressed but if you are repressed you are probably at least grounded. 

Anyway... My mind tends to be stubborn, uncooperative, and dull at parties.  Especially when I am trying to make it do a trick! Or I am at a party.
Of course the second I am not trying to actively change it... bang I am a different person.

I know Freaking Dancing around the central idea...

I am just restating at this point
DANG IT

Bear with me though... I am just trying to work this out.

Ah... OK here is the motorcycle.  Or rather the question who's answer may be the motorcycle...

How the Fuck did you get yourself to let go enough to invoke Therion.  Oh ya that's it.

(Gulp Tear)

Now OBVIOUSLY my repression leads to my chaotic behavior and emotional imbalance. 

Let me preface that with I am probably less repressed then the average joe, but my partial lack of repression only serves to remind me of how much farther I have to go.  I'm THERE!  If you have been here you know what it looks like.  Like ... Like a puppy struggling to crawl free of its mothers dead uterus.

MERCURY!!! Well done. 4 pts.