News:

PD.com : We are the parents your children warned you about.

Main Menu

you people make me sick

Started by East Coast Hustle, December 03, 2007, 03:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DORADA

paralelle universe is real? :eek:

Cainad (dec.)

More real than you can imagine.

LIES, ALL LIES!

It's fake. More fake than you can imagine.

What are we talking about?

Triple Zero

my cooking book (the one that explains the chemistry behind cooking) says about pasta and oil:

Quote from: Cook & Chemista lot of recipes recommend olive oil in the pasta water to prevent stickyness. we do not recommend this because the oil will cover the pasta like a film, causing the sauce to attach itself less to the pasta.
boil the pasta until it is 'al dente', but keep a littlebit of the pasta water. serving is where it often goes wrong, not everybody is at the table yet, the salad isn't ready, etc. the pasta will keep absorbing water as long as it's above 80 degrees Celsius (176F). some sauces, especially the ones that contain a lot of water, get absorbed so easily that the pasta turns into a big lump when mixing. this is when you use the saved pasta water, the hot liquid will soften the pasta again. if you wait any longer it will start sticking together, so eat it right away!

which is odd because i always thought you don't add oil to the pasta water because it will be mostly thrown away with the water, so it's useless. which is why i usually add a bit of oil afterwards. i should check out the sauce-sticky thing, i suppose. though i think i always make a pretty kickass pasta.. :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

hooplala

Quote from: triple zero on May 17, 2008, 05:20:15 PM
my cooking book (the one that explains the chemistry behind cooking) says about pasta and oil:

Quote from: Cook & Chemista lot of recipes recommend olive oil in the pasta water to prevent stickyness. we do not recommend this because the oil will cover the pasta like a film, causing the sauce to attach itself less to the pasta.
boil the pasta until it is 'al dente', but keep a littlebit of the pasta water. serving is where it often goes wrong, not everybody is at the table yet, the salad isn't ready, etc. the pasta will keep absorbing water as long as it's above 80 degrees Celsius (176F). some sauces, especially the ones that contain a lot of water, get absorbed so easily that the pasta turns into a big lump when mixing. this is when you use the saved pasta water, the hot liquid will soften the pasta again. if you wait any longer it will start sticking together, so eat it right away!

which is odd because i always thought you don't add oil to the pasta water because it will be mostly thrown away with the water, so it's useless. which is why i usually add a bit of oil afterwards. i should check out the sauce-sticky thing, i suppose. though i think i always make a pretty kickass pasta.. :)

Thanks 000... its nice to know some people can still answer a simple fucking question.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cainad (dec.)

2nd'ed. I've been waiting for quite a while to have this "oil in the pasta water" nonsense explained. I chose not to voice my confusion along woth Hoopla because then it would have been like this:

LOL, yuo don't get it!  :pokewithstick:

Sir Squid Diddimus

I just didn't know how to put it in the right words.

But I guess saying "it makes a film and your sauce won't stick" is exactly the right words.
It just sounds less redneck-y coming from 000

Triple Zero

Quote from: Squid on May 17, 2008, 08:58:58 PM

But I guess saying "it makes a film and your sauce won't stick" is exactly the right words.

It makes a film and your sauce won't stick.
     \
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: triple zero on May 17, 2008, 10:16:47 PM
Quote from: Squid on May 17, 2008, 08:58:58 PM

It makes a film and your sauce won't stick.
     \

:coffeemoniter:

Sir Squid Diddimus

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAaaaa!