News:

PD.com: Better than a xylophone made out of live kittens that you play with a tazer.

Main Menu

Zen/Discord/Zen Discordianism

Started by Iron Sulfide, February 09, 2004, 06:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trollax

Quote from: EvilPoet"Smitty described the following voting system to Omar: Each candidate would have a yes or a no box after his or her name, allowing each voter a choice between voting for a candidate or voting against another one. Each negative vote would cancel a positive vote. This, Smitty explained, would prevent a politician who was elected from assuming he had a mandate just because a few voters found him a better gamble. When he asked Omar what he thought of the system, Omar replied, "I never vote. It only encourages them." -Camden Benares, Zen Without Zen Masters

not to mention that there would be far more negative votes than positive ones... rendering most politicians as anti-candidates...

EvilPoet

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta."
-Federico Fellini

Bella

"The owl flapped its wings again, muttering these words:
It's hard to be a glassy cat-- No cat can be more hard than that;
She's so transparent, every act Is clear to us, and that's a fact."
-L Frank Baum-
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

EvilPoet

"You cannot see the back of your own head, no matter how intently you stare into the mirror or how quickly you turn around. Even the most clear-sighted have blind spots. These places to which we ourselves are blind are often astonishingly visible to others. The sword of self-knowledge, the ability to see oneself clearly, spans the abyss of ignorance. Below its stretched length blaze the swirling fires of ego while fogs of delusion and self-deception flow from every side." -Essential Sufism

Bella

"The elements of a true theory of poetry are contained in the notion that the poet is inspired. Genius is often said to be unconscious, or spontaneous, or a gift of nature: that 'genius is akin to madness' is a popular aphorism of modern times. The greatest strength is observed to have an element of limitation. Sense or passion are too much for the 'dry light' of intelligence which mingles with them and becomes discoloured by them. Imagination is often at war with reason and fact. The concentration of the mind on a single object, or on a single aspect of human nature, overpowers the orderly perception of the whole."
-Plato-
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Horab Fibslager

if someone farts in crowded room, confucious say; the first one who smelt it, dealt it.
Hell is other people.

Demonica, Oracle of Doom

Quote from: EvilPoet"You cannot see the back of your own head, no matter how intently you stare into the mirror or how quickly you turn around. Even the most clear-sighted have blind spots. These places to which we ourselves are blind are often astonishingly visible to others. The sword of self-knowledge, the ability to see oneself clearly, spans the abyss of ignorance. Below its stretched length blaze the swirling fires of ego while fogs of delusion and self-deception flow from every side." -Essential Sufism

Really? Hmmm......I'm looking at the back of my head right now. :twisted:

PS: Horab, that was just funny!!

http://www.n3kl.org/sun/noaa.html

"I don't want the world.
I just want your half."

Guido Finucci

Conceive a sphere constructed with the earth at it center, and imagine it surface to pass through Sirius, which is 8.8 light years distant from the earth... Then imagine this enormous sphere to be so packed with microbes that in every cubic millimetre millions and millions of these diminutive animalcula are present. Now conceive these microbes to be unpacked and so distributed singly along a straight line that every two microbes are as far distant from each other as Sirius is from us... Conceive the long line thus fixed by all the microbes at the diameter of a circle, and imagine its circumference to be calculated by multiplying it diameter by Pi to 100 decimal places. Then, in the case of a circle of this enormous magnitude even, the circumference so calculated would not vary from the real circumference by a millionth part of a millimeter.

This example will suffice to show that the calculation of Pi to 100 or 500 decimal places is wholly useless.
-- Hermann Schubart, a mathematics professor from Hamburg in 1889

EvilPoet

"In a discussion Bert said that reality can be described in many ways,
but the description that an individual accepts is the one that conforms
to that individual's preconceptions. Omar expanded on this by defining
objective reality as the fantasy that has recieved the majority vote and
subjective reality as a personal fantasy. Mal concluded the discussion by
saying, "Reality is the original Rorschach." -Zen Without Zen Masters

Guido Finucci

The chipmunk is the larval form of the Bengal tiger.
-- Peter Floyd

DJ Zelian

I love the world and if I have to sue for custody,
I will sue for custody

- They Might Be Giants
Reaching out to embrace the random
Reaching out to embrace whatever may come

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that the squirrel is the most favored messanger of Eris!

-The Book of Revelatoriousness
"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

Iron Sulfide

"Slide!"
-The Penguin

A Zen Fable:

Two Penguins were sitting on the edge of the ice. the first said to the
second: "Do you think there are any seals swimming right now, waiting
to eat us as soon as we dip into the water?" to which the second one
replied: "Of course not...here, i got this shiney new tuxedo for you...it's
a new and improved Swimming Tuxedo." "thank you" said the first
penguin. then the first penguin dove head long into the water and was
snatched up by the seals.

a passerby penguin asked why the second penguin would do such a thing.

"Life Insurance," said the first penguin, "Is no insurance that you will stay
alive. But it will make sure that i can build a bridge to avoid those damn
seals."
Ya' stupid Yank.

Guido Finucci