News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

*cough*

Started by faust, December 09, 2007, 01:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

faust

seriously though suggestions for font that are not impact.

I removed the store text.

Nast

Different fonts for different pages?

Like perhaps for the BIP pages, fonts that are suited for the tone of the writings?
More bland, normal looking fonts for pages that have a informational tone, and more IMPACTFUL ones for those hard-hitting essays.

But of course, I've always liked Book Antiqua.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Cainad (dec.)

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/bip/3.php

Page 3, paragraph 4 in the BIP (this includes all available versions of it) has a typo:

QuoteAnd on the left, without economic freedom, social freedom was nothing, as money is a large pat of the social structure.

AFK

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on December 09, 2007, 11:47:51 PM
By the way,

when I was designing the new BIP booklet, the front cover was the last thing I did. I really liked the old art that we had on the cover, and I would vote for having that instead of the eye-and-pyramid that we have on the BIP website (which I think is cool too). How do you guys feel about that graphic?

I agree.  Plus it provides a nod to the original version. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Pope Naughty Nasturtiums on December 10, 2007, 04:36:19 AMDifferent fonts for different pages?

Like perhaps for the BIP pages, fonts that are suited for the tone of the writings?
More bland, normal looking fonts for pages that have a informational tone, and more IMPACTFUL ones for those hard-hitting essays.

But of course, I've always liked Book Antiqua.

about fonts

- "Anything from 45 to 75 characters is widely regarded as a satisfactory length of line for a single-column page set in a serifed text face in a text size. The 66-character line (counting both letters and spaces) is widely regarded as ideal. For multiple column work, a better average is 40 to 50 characters." [http://webtypography.net/toc/ -- VERY cool website]. and IMO, on the web, line length could be a bit on the longer side, so leaning to 70 characters or so.

- once you widened the line-length, you probably want to increase the line-height (CSS property) to 1.25 or even 1.5, to set the lines a bit further apart for better legibility (the default value for line-height is really cramped, for some reason).

- in general sans-serif fonts (like Arial, Verdana, etc) are easier to read on a computer screen for body text, while serif-fonts look prettier on a computer screen for headings etc. (and for some reason, this is exactly the other way around with text printed on paper).

- one you increase the line-height and made the lines a bit longer, you may find that Times New Roman doesn't look that cheesy anymore.

- i would suggest against Book Antiqua, because this font is not available by default on every computer. in fact the only other generally-available option for a serif font on the web seems to be Georgia. so, in theory, you could specify font-family: "Book Antiqua", Georgia, "Times New Roman", serif; to specify font families in order of preference/availability.

- for a sans-serif font i often use Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif (i forgot if it was Verdana or Tahoma which looks most like Helvetica)

- also i'm gonna make a point against using many different fonts. they did this in the original PD because back in those days it was funky and zany to do it like that. today's day, it just looks amateuristic, IMO. especially for a serious text like the BIP. pick a few common design elements (headings, body text, inset, etc) and use two or three different fonts for those.

(Netaungrot please correct me if i'm wrong here, as you seem to know more about this stuff than i do)

one remark/mistake about the BIP book in general: the title of the webpages is still named "Principia Discordia - Page X".
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

faust

Fixed the typo, and the title bar. gonna have a look at fonts now.

B_M_W

One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Nast

Yeah, using too many and too varied fonts would look ridiculous. However, many of the BIP's essays and rants have very varied writing styles and voices, and I think that using different fonts (subtly, of course) could enhance this. Perhaps using similar fonts from similar families?

Any design element has the potential to either look good or bad depending on how you use it. Another factor is deciding what kind of look we want for the BIP pages...
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Sepia

I've always been a fan of helvetica and its most similar siblings.
Everyone will always be too late

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I really love Chicago. It looks like it would cut your hands off without thinking twice.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

000 is on point with the typography.

The only thing I would add is to make sure your margins are consistent on all pages.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A