News:

The characteristic feature of the loser is to bemoan, in general terms, mankind's flaws, biases, contradictions and irrationality-without exploiting them for fun and profit

Main Menu

PD.COM 2007: The Year in Review

Started by AFK, December 19, 2007, 04:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

2007 was an eventful year here at PD.COM.  There were highs and lows.  We said hello to new friends, we sadly saw some old friends move on, and then there were the ones we fed to the wood chipper. 

It was a year in which we saw the newborn Black Iron Prison sub-forum flourish with discussion and philosophizing.  It spun-off other projects.  There were many POEEcasts produced, a new wiki was started, and many, many great writings and flyers as well.  While in the later months of 2007 we saw activity fall off, it seems that the spirit of the now named Cain's Colostomy Bag O Fun, is still alive, just in a state of rest.  Perhaps Spring will mean a blossoming of new ideas and directions.

2007 was also the year that we saw some interesting characters wash ashore.  There was The Lamanite.  We learned from The Lamanite that the best way to survive is to kill and consume your meals on your stoop.  We also learned that many of our Secondary Education facilities are falling down when it comes to teaching Latin.  There was the brief flurry of activity when the friendly anarchist AA arrived.  The Joker avatar seemed to be quite appropriate. 

Then, of course, there was the known and noted one.  The ever outlandish Saratoga Springs karaoke star, Ambassador Klok Kaos.  Apparently turned down at his local American Idol audition sessions, he figured he'd share his kaotic "muscial talents' with some Discordians at PrincipiaDiscordia.com.  He soon realized that he walked into a whole forum of Simon Cowell's without censor buttons.   After an onslaught of TGRR/Hunter rage, longcats, and pledges, he was finally impaled by Hume's Fork and he was done. 

It was the year of PD.COMer summits.  First, the New England meetup and then a gathering in Scotland.  Unfortunately, not all of us could afford to leave our basements to meet with the others, so paper visages took the place of the absentees.  This unfortunately led to some lascivious behavior between Silly and an 8.5x11 of Fred. 

We will return with more of this Year in Review after this...

hint:  I've gotta jet in a few so someone else take over and add on...
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Suu

I hearby nominate the PD.COM word of the year to be Pork Shoulder.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Richter

3rd
and obligatory "I was acutaly THERE man" statement
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Suu

You should be here Christmas Eve then. We got another one going down.

Oh, and some pasteles too.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

AFK

We're back.  

Yes, Many new memes, buzz words, and catch phrases were born in 2007 on PD.COM.  One of those was 'Pork Shoulder".  It began as a simple discussion of an evening meal, and quickly turned into Rule 34.  Enjoying some Pork Shoulder was no longer just about sitting down and enjoying a filling meal of seared swine, it became an expression of human sexuality.  

To each PD.COMer, Pork Shoulder undoubtedly conjured different images.  One might imagine a partner stroking his or her lover with a savory piece of pig meat.  Another, a crazy, contorted love-making position.  But the fad in one form or another quickly sweeped the Discordian asshat community.  

Here, Suu Fett describes, in her own words, the Pork Shoulder phenomenon...

(cue Suu)

Suu

Typically a heavily-seasoned Hispanic dish...the Pork Shoulder came onto the PD.COM scene back in early 2007 during the discussion of what Suu (That'd be me) was having for dinner.

Naturally, the walking Rule 34, the man himself, LMNO, was fast to turn it around, and hence forth, the Pork Shoulder was a complex, mysterious sexual position involving Mr. Suu, myself, and somehow, my sister.

Also, studies have shown that adding Pork Shoulder to any thread will add considerable amount of spice and protein for the participants of said thread, and will usually incur an epic amount of perversion.

See also:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pork+shoulder
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kGfgp3etViM <--- footage of my curiously celebrated 25th birthday gathering of booze, pork shoulder, The Pixies, and Singstar.

LMNO

The fact that Suu is 25 fills me with rage.

Cramulus

[click for definition]

other buzzwords created in 2007:
Spag
Butthash

2007 was quite a year. We saw many Cabals rise and fall--

The UGLY OLD WOMAN cabal - created when numerous forum members changed their avatars to crazy old ladies with Tardive Dyskinesia. This lasted a few days.

The AKK Kabal - created when numerous forumites changed their avatar to modded versions of AKK's avatar. This lasted a few days.

The OBNOXIOUS JERK Cabal - while not technically a PD cabal, but rather one of Cramulus' IRL Jerk Cabals, the OJC definitely influenced the tone over at PD. Their maxim, "Enlightenment through Screaming Hysterical Nothingness" has blown minds and punctured eardrums. One of their actions was to declare 5/23 CAPSLOCK ONLY DAY.

The Lunch Cabal - a group of Discordians who ate lunch together in White Plains NY. Soldiers of Operation: Mindfuck, the Lunch Cabal includes Cramulus, D-Cup, Nomad, and some non-Discordians who work with Cram. Their activities include littering White Plains with crazy signs and graphics which were yoinked from the Operation: Mindfuck forum.

The Wrath of MS Paint Cabal - also known as WOMP - dedicated to disproving (opposite of improving?) the forum, one image at a time. WOMP was started by Professor Cramulus, but other members include MS Payne, Darth Cupcake, and Davedim. Kaou Suu, zilch, and their insufferable company started a second branch of the WOMP cabal, called the Shoppers United Cabal of Kaos (or SUCK, for short).

The STFUPID Cabal (pronounced "Stupid") - this is the name that some use to refer to the collective of PD Forumites. When referring to the PD Hivemind, it's often easier to say "The STFUPID Cabal detests dada bullshit" rather than "The group of people who regularly post on PD.com forums detest dadabullshit."

Suu

Quote from: LMNO on December 19, 2007, 08:18:46 PM
The fact that Suu is 25 fills me with rage.

Why so? I'm not underage for anything anymore, even renting cars.

LMNO

I rage that you're a decade younger than me, for starters.

Cain

The Popular Front for the Liberation of Discordia became the most popular Discordian blog (no stfu, my authority rating is higher than anyone elses on Technorati) and I mastered the art of shamelessly plugging.

Darth Cupcake

LMNO was very, very old. Basically dead, for all intents and purposes.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Suu

That would be your mama's fault for giving birth to you before the dawn of time.

...*runs*

AFK

Several expeditions to other internet-lands took place in 2007.  Pagan forums, gothic poetry boards, and Canadian forums were all invaded, er I mean, visited.  

The last was part of the Exotic Internet Safari, concocted by Professor Cramulus.  Cram, Payne, RWHN, and others took on pith-helmeted avatars and explored the vast reaches of the Canadian internet-jungle known as Reality Check.  They landed looking for a lost professor.  Cram was the lead explorer, and Payne made an excellent pack horse.  Wango Tango Juice was served, the Correct Motorcycle was found, and many nyuks were had by all.  Eventually, the head of the Reality Check tribe tired of their presence and banished them.  The team plans another expedition at some point in the future.  Perhaps the next destination will be the Reality Czech forums.

Speaking of Wango Tango juice.  It was named after the new dance craze, also surfacing in 2007, the Gay Wango Tango.  For more on this we turn to Professor Cramulus...(or anyone else who'd like to chime in)